Gibson Brands Forums

Ver 3 Discussion (Ouch)

Wow!

The Ver. 3 Vjr. has created some discussion as to whether to mod it or not.

But maybe it misses the point.

Nobody told anyone they had to modify any Epi amp.

Regardless of the version.

Maybe its' because we found a real tube amp that can be molded to anyones needs.

And it costs about the same as a good pedal.

You want Brian May Vox tone...It can do that.

Want SRV Fender Tone...It can do that also,

Want something in between...Take a whack at it

Me, I've been obsessed with finding Angus Young's tones for years, but I don't have an airplane hanger or warehouse to play a 100WT Marshall Super Lead 100. (Or the bucks to buy a pristine 1969 version of one of those Plexi amps). With the Vjr. I can get very close without getting the cops called on me. All it took was some digging on the Internet and asking some questions of the fine folks on the Epi Forums.

But, if you are perfectly happy with the way it sounds out of the box, then leave it be.

Wow!

The Ver. 3 Vjr. has created some discussion as to whether to mod it or not.

But maybe it misses the point.

Nobody told anyone they had to modify any Epi amp.

Regardless of the version.

Maybe its' because we found a real tube amp that can be molded to anyones needs.

And it costs about the same as a good pedal.

You want Brian May Vox tone...It can do that.

Want SRV Fender Tone...It can do that also' date='

Want something in between...Take a whack at it

Me, I've been obsessed with finding Angus Young's tones for years, but I don't have an airplane hanger or warehouse to play a 100WT Marshall Super Lead 100. (Or the bucks to buy a pristine 1969 version of one of those Plexi amps). With the Vjr. I can get very close without getting the cops called on me. All it took was some digging on the Internet and asking some questions of the fine folks on the Epi Forums.

But, if you are perfectly happy with the way it sounds out of the box, then leave it be.

[/quote']

ssgfowler, lord please lord, you are not misusing my use of the "OUCH" in your string, please!!! I am not getting in the middle of this debate!!! I was responding with my use of "OUCH" to the small handslap from Eraser that I could read a little more and learn to do things for myself. I've no problem with that. Please let it be. . . Suddenly its in the title of another string; not what I meant!!!!!:-

gibiphone

just north of the mexican line

Nobody told anyone they had to modify any Epi amp. Regardless of the version.

Quite the contrary --- advising that any mod is "essential" (and those are the responses given to what the topic starter asked) is equal to telling everyone they have to modify a V3. The assumption being' date=' if you do not do this [u']essential[/u] mod, then it will be ________ (fill in the blank: crappy, deficient, faulty, unreliable, etc.). So, calling those members out for giving misleading advise did not miss the point at all. In fact, we need to do that whenever appropriate to help improve the information found on this Epiphone forum.

Unfortunately, when called to task, those members replied like BIG government and BIG businesses --- locked into defending their turf instead of simply setting the record straight.

P.S. -- good going Scott58 (and Strangedogs) --- play those new V3s like its a Jimi/Jimmy thing.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

It seems as though some are getting caught up in semantics. Nobody has ever suggested that any of these versions won't work without modding, therefore they MUST be modded. What HAS been suggested, however, is that, in order to sound their best, there ARE some essential mods to be done, not the least of which is getting the output tube voltages in line. This doesn't just extend tube life. It also enhances tone. The fact is, each tube has been built to live best in a certain voltage environment, and the Vjr amps tend to force them far out of that comfort zone, to the point where they can sound "ratty" or "flubby."

Will the amp function with the voltages completely out of whack? Of course. So, the mod isn't "mandatory" in that sense. My guitars will function with the intonation and action all screwed up as well, but I prefer to "mod" them, in order to make them sound and play their best. In order for this amp to sound its best, some mods ARE necessary. If you're happy with it as is, so be it, but it won't sound its best with the tube running out of its engineered specs. This isn't a guessing game. The folks that designed that tube know exactly what voltages it needs to see in order to perform its best. It's a matter of physics.

"My guitars will function with the intonation and action all screwed up as well, but I prefer to "mod" them, in order to make them sound and play their best. ..."

Exactly! I hope Steven resists the urge to start yet another "essential" thread on the dangers of modding a version 3.... enough already.horse.gif

"My guitars will function with the intonation and action all screwed up as well' date=' but I prefer to "mod" them, in order to make them sound and play their best. ..."

Exactly! I hope Steven resists the urge to start yet another "essential" thread on the dangers of modding a version 3.... enough already.[img']http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/layboomo/horse.gif[/img]

yeah really enough. anymore of this nonsense and I will buy three version threes and turn at least one of them into a solid state hundred watt bastard with 6 inch speaker, headphone jack and COSM modeling. and I will tell EVERYBODY how damned essential that mod was.

--- layboomo & wpkg

You complicated a simple V3 issue. If your egos won't abide a different opinion, then give it a rest or be prepared to hear what others have to say. You do not dictate at this forum.

--- layboomo & wpkg

You complicated a simple V3 issue. If your egos won't abide a different opinion' date=' then give it a rest or be prepared to hear what others have to say. You do not dictate at this forum.

I wonder if you even realize how much entertainment you have provided for the rest of us. and to talk about complicated? whats with the multi colored bolded posts all the time?

" talk about complicated? whats with the multi colored bolded posts all the time? "

wpkg it's a technique NASA engineers use to comunicate with" lowly junk yard scrappers" and get their point across.

OH SNAP!

you're right! and to think all this time I understood what everyone was saying with out the visuals

but all these damn hypertext tags make reading my own post laborious

and confusing!

****! i forgot to make "confusing" as big as "laborious"!!! now how the hell will any one get my point? I know! with a whistling smiley! :-& :- :- :- :- :-

There... I feel smarter already!

Archived