Gibson Brands Forums

A bit of advice, please

Billybob Dylan

I've never owned a guitar with a P90 before, and I'm thinking about putting one on my LP Jr. Would I buy a soapbar or a dogear? Is the soapbar designed to be used with a pup ring? Is a dogear designed to be screwed directly to the body? If a dogear is supposed to be screwed directly to the body, is it going to be tall enough? What do I about about height adjustment?

Any help will be appreciated.

Easiest thing to do is get a humbucker-sized P-90. Standard P-90s are smaller than humbuckers and you will have gaps in the cavity of your guitar.

Dogears cannot be lowered (except for the polepieces). You can buy spacers to raise them. Soapbars can have foam rubber material underneath them, or plastic tubing as spacers on the adjustment screws.

That's what I was thinking of. So I guess a soapbar would be the better choice?

1) Regarding GuitarFetish prices, I don't know - you'll need to compare

2) If your Jr has a humbucker, the Mean 90 is a drop-in replacement requiring no modifications.

If it has a dogear, you need a dogear. If it has a soapbar, you need a soapbar.

I think your original statements strongly indicate that you have a humbucker. Thus, a

drop-in P90, like a Mean 90 is what you want.

Well' date=' originally. the Junior(s) came with a dogear P-90:

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/cherryjuniorclose.jpg[/img]

RotcanX is that the bolt on version you have there? Im pretty sure but not certain, but then again the neck drives deeper into the body on this model than the black one you have posted before. Either way makes no difference....I'll take one! Yes Please.

Edit: Also do you have a side shot pic of your pup? I am wondering how high you go on your pole pieces.

RotcanX is that the bolt on version you have there? Im pretty sure but not certain' date=' but then again the neck drives deeper into the body on this model than the black one you have posted before. Either way makes no difference....I'll take one! Yes Please.

Edit: Also do you have a side shot pic of your pup? I am wondering how high you go on your pole pieces.[/quote']

Sharp eye. Yes, it's a bolt neck, and the neck joint is different on my two Junior DCs:

juniors2.jpg

This is because they each come from different factories. The red one is a Samick while the black one is from some Indonesian plant, Cort if memory serves. The black one also has a much smaller electronics cavity and the shape of the lower horn is also different. The neck on the black one is now 'set' as I had to glue it in place in order to allow me to rout the cavity for the second P-90.

You can just barely make out the pole piece setup on the P-90 in this shot:

juniorneck4.jpg

The pole piece screws are just sticking out a little bit. I find a P-90 needs more space from the strings or you start getting wolf tones.

Very nice job modding the black. Also, until you pointed it out I didn't spot the horn shape differences.

On the pole pieces thats interesting and based on your tip I think I'll lower mine a tad.

So many people try to raise the P90 as far up as possible then raise the PP's up to almost 'lick' the strings, but I agree with you 'a little' space is needed between pup and strings for P90's.

Yup. I just threw a pair of Seymour Duncan P-90s into my Epiphone LP Special (not the 'II') and I'm still finding the right spot for them... had to play around with the side-to-side position on the bridge pickup as it was offset to the left and I also think I need to lower them both.

Archived