Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphones or Gibsons?

RotcanX

Well, the 'B's are in and we got:

Gibson: Ebony LP Standard, 50s neck; two LP Studios (White/gold and Cherry/chrome); SG Standard (black); a limited edtion SG in ebony satin with EMGs; an SG 61 reissue (I'm grabbing that one) and two acoustics.

Epiphone: Slim pickings this time around; we got a Standard Plus top in vintage sunburst, a G-310 in vintage white and an LP Special II in heritage sunburst plus four acoustics.

Anybody living in the valley thinking of checking these out just PM me for more info. We're only about an hour from Ottawa or Montreal.

What kinds of "flaws" do they have?

Most are 'shop wear', i.e. practically nothing. A couple of the SGs have tiny cracks in the lacquer at the fret ends. One SG has a crack in the lacquer at the neck joint. One of the Studios has a lip at the fingerboard due to the fingerboard being a bit slimmer than the neck. The Epi Les Paul is flawless... it's just a demo model.

I actually have a trade in the works but don't want to mention it for fear of jinxing myself. Its for my G&L Strat and we'll just say a un-named Gibson for right now. Will let you guys know next week if it goes through.

Yeah; some guy got a great deal on an essentially perfect Epi LP... worked out to a 20% discount over the regular selling price. He didn't have to think too long about that one. I was actually surprised to see one of the Gibson Studios go so fast too. Nothing like a $200 discount to motivate the buyer! Now I'm wondering if the Ebony Standard will go...

Archived