Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between BBs and BB pros?

shuffle

What is the big difference between the BurstBuckers and the BurstBucker Pros? I was thinking about putting one type in my epiphone les paul. Also, I understand that the BustBuckers have four different types. Which combination would produce both warm and a hot sound (and have the most capability for a variety of sounds)?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Its meant to reduce feedback by keeping the pickups steady' date=' i am told it was clapton that originally did it, i have my doubts about the story however[/quote']Credit (Gasp!) Leo Fender for this. Dipping eliminates a pickups microphonic tendencies. It also creates a drop in high end frequencies. Unfortunately, it means that without this, the good ones sound awesomely awesome, while the bads one you cant even really use. I'm not for certain but I think some or all of those BurstBucker series have unmatched coils. One of the coils in the pickup has more windings than the other.

Without wax potting, they are more susceptible to going microphonic.

A little is a pain in the butt, keeping the volume down to avoid the squeal.

At some point the squeal will render the pickup worthless and it will have to be potted again to be salvaged.

Been there, done that.

(Send it to Lindy Fralin)

That's the reason I avoided the BB 2,3 because of the bad luck I've had with microphonic pickups.

Tough call because I LOVE Alnico II pickups and the lower output.

I would be the one guy out of 100 that would get a dud.

My personal preference is the 57 Classic over the BB Pro, at least in a Les Paul.

Archived