Gibson Brands Forums

WHERE IS THIS THING FROM!!!!

MGrizzell00

I am currently looking for the birthplace of my Epiphone Les Paul Studio. It has a set neck, trapezoid pearloid inlays, and all chrome hardware, except for the tuning knobs. They are similar to the Kluson tuners with pearl buttons, but with Epiphone etched into the back of the heads. Any help is appreciated. The Serial Number is MR01070042. Guitar Dater can't decipher the number, but Epiphone said it may have been made at the Peerless factory. It was bought new at a local guitar store in Kansas City. Thanks

MGrisell00,

First: Welcome to the forum.

Sorry can't help. You are the secound post in as many days that have a serial # that starts with an M. In the last post Iconoclast suggested that it may have been made for a specific dealer.

Good question. Would like to know the answer.

Anyone?.......Spud?

Thank you for the welcome. I've exhausted every other resource, then finally figured, who would know better than fellow players? I have been searching for a few weeks to find the exact origin. It's been a battle for sure. =P~ I appreciate the help.

The "M"XXXXXXXXX in the serial # is the kicker. NOBODY KNOWS?!?!?!? WTF!! It doesn't really matter to me, but the idea of knowing that it came from a reputable factory is calming. I heard they just opened an Epi factory in Uranus, Brad, but the craftsmanship there is a lil lacking. :- I'll run with the Korean-born idea. Thanks a lot for your input fellas

The "M"XXXXXXXXX in the serial # is the kicker. NOBODY KNOWS?!?!?!? WTF!! It doesn't really matter to me' date=' but the idea of knowing that it came from a reputable factory is calming. I heard they just opened an Epi factory in Uranus, Brad, but the craftsmanship there is a lil lacking. :- I'll run with the Korean-born idea. Thanks a lot for your input fellas[/quote']

Nice comeback.

Sorry, I couldn't help the smartass answer. Because I am, well, you know, a smartass.

Glad you have a good sense of humor.

Wish I could really help you out, but alas,

My brain be dumb, my *** be smart.

It doesn't help with your question so much, but Ricochet posted this list of Epi factory codes recently.

B Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)

BW ? (China)

DW DaeWon (China)

EA QingDao (China)

EE QingDao (China)

F/_ Fujigen (Japan)

FN/N Fine Guitars (Korea)

I Saein (Korea)

J/T Terada (Japan)

K Korea Ins. (Korea)

L ? (Korea)

MC Muse (China)

N-->see FN

O Choice (Korea)

P/R Peerless (Korea)

S Samick (Korea)

SI Samick (Indonesia)

SJ SaeJun (China)

SM Samil (Korea)

SN ? (Indonesia)

U Unsung (Korea)

UC Unsung China (China)

Z Zaozhuang Saehan (China)

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

All the guitar dater added was the same info RotcanX already posted

Your guitar was made at a factory not yet added to the database

July 2001

Production Number: 0042

It doesn't help with your question so much' date=' but Ricochet posted this list of Epi factory codes recently.

B Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)

BW ? (China)

DW DaeWon (China)

EA QingDao (China)

EE QingDao (China)

F/_ Fujigen (Japan)

FN/N Fine Guitars (Korea)

I Saein (Korea)

J/T Terada (Japan)

K Korea Ins. (Korea)

L ? (Korea)

MC Muse (China)

N-->see FN

O Choice (Korea)

P/R Peerless (Korea)

S Samick (Korea)

SI Samick (Indonesia)

SJ SaeJun (China)

SM Samil (Korea)

SN ? (Indonesia)

U Unsung (Korea)

UC Unsung China (China)

Z Zaozhuang Saehan (China)

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

All the guitar dater added was the same info RotcanX already posted

Your guitar was made at a factory not yet added to the database

July 2001

Production Number: 0042

[/quote']

Alas, we knew him well. I miss him already.

I do know that the U9907xxxx goldtop that I tried out in a music store was made in the Unsung, Korea plant in July, 1999. It sounds logical that 2001 would have still seen the Korean plants still in operation. I'm surprised that Epiphone couldn't tell you what the M designation meant. Somebody up there knows. I'd email Epi if you haven't. Maybe they can pass the email around and get an answer.

• 1 year later...

I may be able to help:

My les paul flame top is serial number MR01080247 - August 2001

I think the biggest distinguishing detail is the tuners... you can spot a post-2002 LP from the grovers, but some (like mine) have the capital E stamped on the tuning machines.

some speculation in this thread about MR being produced for certain dealers? Monmouth Music in Red Bank NJ is getting exclusive limited production epi's? doubtful...

I still have the factory labels on the back of the headstock... one clearly says "MADE IN KOREA" another says "100% inspected and set-up in the USA by 19" and another printed label (not a sticker - just like the SN printing) that says Epiphone Limited Edition. Anyway... this CONFIRMS that yours was probably also built in Korea, same SN factory code as mine, and only a month between ours.

Does yours also have the limited edition seal on the back of the headstock? Its a round label surrounding the "E" logo. I haven't seen too many of these, or the stamped logo on the tuners.

I understand the angst... i don't think mine could be a copy... but i want to know if its something special! What if we have the only two MR########'s in the WORLD!!??

Guest icantbuyafender
I may be able to help:

My les paul flame top is serial number MR01080247 - August 2001

I think the biggest distinguishing detail is the tuners... you can spot a post-2002 LP from the grovers' date=' but some (like mine) have the capital E stamped on the tuning machines.

some speculation in this thread about MR being produced for certain dealers? Monmouth Music in Red Bank NJ is getting exclusive limited production epi's? doubtful...

I still have the factory labels on the back of the headstock... one clearly says "MADE IN KOREA" another says "100% inspected and set-up in the USA by 19" and another printed label (not a sticker - just like the SN printing) that says Epiphone Limited Edition. Anyway... this CONFIRMS that yours was probably also built in Korea, same SN factory code as mine, and only a month between ours.

Does yours also have the limited edition seal on the back of the headstock? Its a round label surrounding the "E" logo. I haven't seen too many of these, or the stamped logo on the tuners.

I understand the angst... i don't think mine could be a copy... but i want to know if its something special! What if we have the only two MR########'s in the WORLD!!??[/quote']

The old klusson style tuners with the two set screws were common on all standards until the switch to grover in like 2002-2003. My first two LPs have them, and they have the "E" logo stamped on the back of the tuner instead of saying "klusson deluxe" or "gibson deluxe".

I dont know why... but I hate big grovers.

• 1 month later...

I have one too. My les paul flame top is serial number MR01080593.

Same tuners with the capital E stamped on the tuning machines. No made in korea label, but has the "100% inspected and set-up in the USA by 2" and another printed label that says Epiphone Limited Edition.

It is also a fairly good weight. I don't know what a fake epi weighs, but this thing has a good solid weight.

Archived