Gibson Brands Forums

You're not going to believe this... *** pix added ***

RotcanX

Okay, so we got in another cherry G-400 last week and today I got around to checking it out/adjusting it. So I'm looking at the fingerboard, which is kind of light coloured compared to most G-400s, and I'm noticing that the darkened edges look almost like dark brown binding... then... waitaminit... it is binding! SO next I take a look at the ebony one we have which has a darker fingerboard.. it's more difficult to make out but yeah, the edge is bound! So here we all are, moaning about one of the main faults with a G-400 (compared to a real SG) being the fact that the G-400 doesn't have the fingerboard binding, and is there an easy way to add it after the fact... and all along these EE G-400s have binding after all... except it's dark brown. Consider my mind... boggled. I mean... heck... if you're going to go to the trouble of applying a bound edge... why the frack not do it in white so that it starts to look like a proper SG Standard?

Sometimes I can't get to sleep at night from trying to figure out what the execs at Epiphone are thinking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an EE G-400 and I just scoped that puppy under some serious light after reading your post. They are doing some weird things for sure because mine has no binding at all. :-k

These are both 2008 models.. so maybe it's a new thing. Also I never would have noticed it except for the extra-light FB on the cherry G-400; on the ebony one it's very hard to discern but nonetheless it's there.

Sweet Junior BTW.

Probably mine is an 06. I would love to see pics of that if you can capture that dark binding in a pic. Must be some weird meetings they have over there at HQ! :-k

I'll see what I can do.

And you mean over here at HQ. Epiphone's headquarters is in the USA. 645 Massman Drive, Nashville TN 37210.

Heh heh... 'over there' kind of implies China' date=' at least in my mind, as opposed to 'here in the USA'... and I'm pretty sure they're not making these decisions in Qingdao.[/quote']

I can see that, but no I meant Nashville since I am not anywhere near it. I agree as well those decisions on design are made at Corporate and sent to Qingdao. Now let the binding conspiracy continue...:-k

Well' date=' I never trusted Chinese Epis, and this fuels my (probably exaggerated) bias...I'm not surprised.

I consider China Epis and Korea Epis being different brands.[/quote']

I have read alot of these type comments on Chinese Epi's and it sucks if some people get really bad and faulty guitars from there. I must be really lucky on the 2 that I have, because they both feel and sound really great to me. Especially the 'EE' made G-400.

Plus' date=' the Chinese EE and EA guitars are the first guitars that are genuinely 'Epiphones' as opposed to guitars built by Korean subcontractors.[/quote']

I trust the EE factory above any and all others for the fairness in employee treatment over subcontractors, which in turn will mean better quality, if it hasn't already.

I have an EE G-400 and I just scoped that puppy under some serious light after reading your post. They are doing some weird things for sure because mine has no binding at all. :-k

My EE G-400 ('62 reissue) has black binding on the neck. Very visible against the white paint of the neck.

My EE G-400 ('62 reissue) has black binding on the neck. Very visible against the white paint of the neck.

It's so weird how different so many similar Epi models are that come from the same factory.

What year is yours...any pics?

Archived