RotcanX

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"EE-YOW"

I'll say this much.

My 2007 EE serialed LP

only needed a set-up...

really Wouldn't have even needed that except I play in E flat and it just wouldn't agree, so adjustments were needed.

The rest was just my doing for the "Gotta Have It" Factor. The fine tuners really are the bomb though.

On the other hand, my 2006 Korean SG Custom was a ***** out of the box.

Even with its first set up and nut filing/graphite it had trouble staying tuned. One sorepoint was the horrible bridge with rattling saddles. You could actually see them move under the string. The tuners were loose and tightening the screw ends only did so much.

So I went with Locking Sperzels along with a new bridge that was wider and had no retainer wire. Had the frets looked over and a bit of filing done.

Lo and behold the luthier guy fixed it. Best investment I could make I suppose because I just couldn't keep it the way it was. Now I doubt I'll ever sell it.

I'm just not too sold on the "Korean Epiphones are better" claim, but they are Built Like Bricks.

I have read alot of these type comments on Chinese Epi's and it sucks if some people get really bad and faulty guitars from there. I must be really lucky on the 2 that I have' date=' because they both feel and sound really great to me. Especially the 'EE' made G-400. [/quote']

I just sold my Chinese SG G400 and it was a great guitar, so I am also one of the lucky ones.

IMG_1039.jpg

Okay, here we go. The first two shots are of the cherry G-400, which has a very light fingerboard:

g400binding1.jpg

g400binding2.jpg

...and here's a shot of an ebony G-400; even with the darker fingerboard the 'binding' is obvious:

g400binding3.jpg

Okay, now, Epiphone, howzabout doing the same thing but with cream-coloured plastic from now on?

if you're going to go to the trouble of applying a bound edge... why the frack not do it in white so that it starts to look like a proper SG Standard?

A guess here - from a manufacturing standpoint, wouldn't it be easier and less costly

to sand and finish a neck with wood binding? But I'm unclear as to why bother with

any binding at all, in that case. mmmmmm........

A guess here - from a manufacturing standpoint' date=' wouldn't it be easier and less costly

to sand and finish a neck with wood binding? But I'm unclear as to why bother with

any binding at all, in that case. mmmmmm........[/quote']

Wood is cheaper than plastic?

I don't think ANY of my Epiphone guitars have that kind of tool markings on the bindings I see in the picture of the cherry G-400. Is that common? I don't think I would buy a guitar with that poor attention to detail. The darker one shows an overall nicer fit/finish, thankfully. Its a shame to go to all the trouble and expense of installing binding, and then leave it only half finished. Rotcanx, your photos definitely show a lesser grade of rosewood in the lighter colored fingerboard than even my early 2007 EE G-400! I've been swapping guitars, recently, more than buying new. Is that the truly the quality of mid-low end guitars these days? If so, no wonder there are so many clearance and returns on M123 and MF. What are they thinking?

I don't think ANY of my Epiphone guitars have that kind of tool markings on the bindings I see in the picture of the cherry G-400. Is that common? I don't think I would buy a guitar with that poor attention to detail.

Well, it is a macro photograph and I may have applied a tad too much unsharp masking to the image... the guitar doesn't look quite so 'rough' IRL.

Ah good ol' 666. When the Apple I computer debuted way back when, they sold for $666. That, along with the corporate logo (an apple with a bite taken out of it in gay rainbow colours no less), made a lot of the superstitious types more than a little wary. I wonder if it's significant that the Epiphone Nikki Sixx bass retails for $665? How coincidental would it be if someone had one of those e-series Epiphone Beasts with a serial ending in 0666?

newtoon.gif

The computer has always been the tool of the devil!

Take the letters of the alphabet and assign ascending values of 6 like this

a = 6

b = 12

c = 18

d = 24

and so on. Now assign those values to the letters in the word COMPUTER and add them up and see what you get. :)

WIBF Spud. I had a look at my EE'04 G400 Ebony and it has the binding like the guitars you posted.

Wow. Thanks for that info' date=' Glenn, I wasn't sure if this was a recent development or what. So, theoretically, we could have been buying G-400's with correct bound fingerboards for four years now. 'WIBF' indeed.

the actual black ebony G-400 has a darker board? interesting.

extra stained perhaps?

...more likely just a better piece of wood.

Archived