Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico 8 magnets

tulsaslim

Alnico 8 is stronger that Alnico 5. That is the magnets are stronger, so the magnetic field is stronger, therefore you should get higher output with the same number of windings.

They give the high power of ceramics but keep the tone of alnico' 5s -- allegedly.

I would be interested in hearing what someone who has done a proper comparison says.

ICH

It is a powerful alnico grade, about as close as yer gonna get to ceramic. It has some of the alnico sweetness with some of the power of ceramic. The highs aren't as stringent as ceramic, but lows are tighter than some of the alnico. Try the searching the Seymour Duncan forums for more info as I am certainly no expert on this. A search at this site may be helpful too

http://music-electronics-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Well, I've got lots of electric guitars & love to experiment with pickups. I've never been infatuated with ceramics, however (except for the DiMarzio Evolutions) because, to me, they sound sterile when attempting to play 'clean'. So for metal & prog I prefer an active Alnico (I've got a set of DM 'Live Wires' on a Chinese Epi LP). Like all actives, the battery is a pain but it does tuck away nicely in the control cavity.

I'd have to say I hate high-powered non-active pickups.

The string pull can suck tone worse than a preamp circuit.

I experienced that more on my 3 pickup guitar made by a guy named Leo (before a network bought his company) than any other guitar. The 12th fret and above can be highly affected when the string gets pulled into the event horizon of the neck pickup magnet. Low action means lowered pickups. The effect can be pleasing if you get just on the edge of too much, like in the 12th fret part of the 2nd solo in Sweet Home Alabama.

I wonder how long it will until we see pickups with neodynium magnets. They have to be the strongest magnets made today. They have made their way into guitar speakers. It's only a matter of time until someone advertises pups with them used in the pole magnets.

I wonder how long it will until we see pickups with neodynium magnets. They have to be the strongest magnets made today. They have made their way into guitar speakers. It's only a matter of time until someone advertises pups with them use in the pole magnets.

It's already happened.

GFS neovins use them.

I wonder how long it will until we see pickups with neodynium magnets. They have to be the strongest magnets made today. They have made their way into guitar speakers. It's only a matter of time until someone advertises pups with them use in the pole magnets.

These guys used it years before anyone else. See http://www.q-tuner.com

2.jpg

Just pop an a8 magnet into one of your existing pickups. It isn't really all that hard to do.

I've been looking for a good source. But all I can find is the typical Alnico 2 and 5.

I'm really curious as how the stock Epi-pups will benefit from a proper magnet upgrade(if at all).

Archived