Gibson Brands Forums

Help with loose potis of Epiphone Dot?

MattWild

Hy! I´m new in here. I´m from Austria and would like to ask some other Epiphone owners for help.

I got a brand new Epiphone Dot (Cherry). It looks great and I like the sound...

I haven´t played a lot yet because two of the potis are loose.

Can anyone please tell me how I can fix that the best way (without doing harm to the new guitar)?

Also the Epiphone sign on the pickguard was not glued correctly and therefore had to be fixed.

Do such flaws appear regulary when you get a new Epiphone guitar?

Thanks a lot!

MattWild

Pull off the knobs on affected pots (maybe all 4?) and use a minature adjustable

wrench or spanner. I don't remember what size the nuts that secure the pots are

but if they are the minature type, the nut should be 9-10mm. Tighten as much

as the threads will allow but don't overtighten as that could rotate the pot inside.

Some people on this forum suggested a drop of nail polish on the threads as well.

Yes, some flaws can be there..it is a mass produced guitar but a very good value

and what you are seeing is not unusual.

If you slip a screwdriver into the slot of the pot's shaft ('potis'?), you can keep it from rotating as you tighten the nut. This will prevent any wires from breaking.

As Tom Jones would say, it's not unusual for the 'E' logo to come loose; the glue is only holding on to the raised edge. Ah well, those things look kind of goofy on a 335 anyway.

If you slip a screwdriver into the slot of the pot's shaft ('potis'?)' date=' you can keep it from rotating as you tighten the nut. This will prevent any wires from breaking.

[/quote']

Great idea. I wished I had heard that when I did my Dot and Sherry. I reached in the F-hole with my fingers and held the backs of the pots while I snugged them up with a socket wrench.

rots got it right.. the most common error is to spin that pot and screw up the wiring..

you gotta hold the shaft and stop that.

I like to put some masking tape around the nut before I take a wrench to it..

it's soooo easy to slip no matter how many times you've done it and scratch the finish.

I like to put some masking tape around the nut before I take a wrench to it..

it's soooo easy to slip no matter how many times you've done it and scratch the finish.

And that, my friends, is why I use a box wrench.

• 3 years later...

I have the same loose pots problem just on my bridge pickup pots, but the knobs are on there so tight I really feel like I could damage the guitar if I force them any harder. They seem glued on or melted on (almost). Any tips for this? I'll be sad if I break my guitar.

I have the same loose pots problem just on my bridge pickup pots, but the knobs are on there so tight I really feel like I could damage the guitar if I force them any harder. They seem glued on or melted on (almost). Any tips for this? I'll be sad if I break my guitar.

Wrap a T-shirt, thin cloth wash, or fabric around the knob.......Twist the fabric, and pull..........It works.....

I learned this here, and yup, it works................

Archived