Gibson Brands Forums

Need help!

TheTiba

Hi, I think it's time to buy my second guitar soon and I was wondering about to buy an Epiphone SG G400.. Is it good or bad? Is it good as a rhythm guitar or a lead guitar?

The second option would be an Epiphone Les Paul Studio.. Is it a good guitar or is it better for beginners?

Sorry for my english but im swedish :D Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

The G400 is a good guitar. It will work well for both rhythm or lead. It has great upper fret access for lead work. The LP Studio is an equally good guitar but with less upper fret access. The studio is substantially heavier but no big deal. The main thing is that you personally check the guitars out yourself to ensure you get a good one.

Welcome to the forum.

The G400 is a good guitar. It will work well for both rhythm or lead. It has great upper fret access for lead work. The LP Studio is an equally good guitar but with less upper fret access. The studio is substantially heavier but no big deal. The main thing is that you personally check the guitars out yourself to ensure you get a good one.

Thanks a lot!

Tiba,

Welcome...Same opinion as Glenn...The G400 is a good guitar. Just watch out for the neck dip. Because of the lighter body and the strap attachment point, some people have a little trouble with the neck falling forward a little. I found that a good strap solves a lot of it.

Tiba' date='

Welcome...Same opinion as Glenn...The G400 is a good guitar. Just watch out for the neck dip. Because of the lighter body and the strap attachment point, some people have a little trouble with the neck falling forward a little. I found that a good strap solves a lot of it.[/quote']

Thanks a lot really! I really apreciate your answer. Yeah , i've heard about that neck dip, but i think i can deal with it!

All I can say is' date=' if you decide to get a G-400, try to find one with a serial number that starts with 'EE'. I find that these are better than either the DWs or the UCs.[/quote']

Okay thanks! That was good to know!

I've got a couple of G-400s and have never had a problem with the neck dive. But there is a way to make sure it never happens. Get a good leather strap that has rough leather on the back of the strap. The rough leather will grab onto your clothes and the neck won't dive.

I love my G-400s for the easy upper fret acces. I love my LPs too, but I do find myself gravitating to my G-400s more. Either would be a good choice, just go a try out each to find out which one you like the best.

I've got a couple of G-400s and have never had a problem with the neck dive. But there is a way to make sure it never happens. Get a good leather strap that has rough leather on the back of the strap. The rough leather will grab onto your clothes and the neck won't dive.

I love my G-400s for the easy upper fret acces. I love my LPs too' date=' but I do find myself gravitating to my G-400s more. Either would be a good choice, just go a try out each to find out which one you like the best.[/quote']

Thanks for the answer man! Now im really glad that i know that im buying something good haha!

Hi Tiba, mate I've got a G 400 and love it, used to have a bit of neck dive but once I put my strap locks on (Dunlop) it has reduced heaps. not worried now about the strap comming off and smacking it's head on the ground. Once you have experienced the neck drip you adjust to it.

If the opportinuity arrises see if you can play all guitars you like, it will help you sellect what feels good to you.

I play everything from AC/DC, to Boston to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynard, Rock to heavy rock and the G 400 does great.

Cheers

RR

Hi Tiba' date=' mate I've got a G 400 and love it, used to have a bit of neck dive but once I put my strap locks on (Dunlop) it has reduced heaps. not worried now about the strap comming off and smacking it's head on the ground. Once you have experienced the neck drip you adjust to it.

If the opportinuity arrises see if you can play all guitars you like, it will help you sellect what feels good to you.

I play everything from AC/DC, to Boston to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynard, Rock to heavy rock and the G 400 does great.

Cheers

RR[/quote']

Thanks a lot! Good to know that the neck thing isnt bad! Also good to know that it does great! Cheers mate!

Welcome Tiba and when in doubt buy one of each, because everyone around here will tell you the same thing, " it's impossible to have to many guitars". Now if I could just convince my wife Hmmm. But seriously this is a good place to find answers to your questions, this is a good bunch of very knowledgeable people who are more than happy to help. So again welcome!

Welcome Tiba and when in doubt buy one of each' date=' because everyone around here will tell you the same thing, " it's impossible to have to many guitars". Now if I could just convince my wife Hmmm. But seriously this is a good place to find answers to your questions, this is a good bunch of very knowledgeable people who are more than happy to help. So again welcome![/quote']

Thanks Randy!

Archived