Gibson Brands Forums

SHOULD I GIVE UP LOOKING FOR AN EPIPHONE EXCELLENTE and start collecting "limited run" Est

mooseguy

Not having heard from an Excellente owner re selling one either before or after earth warming became such a hot topic, maybe I should just chill out and collect limited run estaban guitars, memorial hub caps or possibly high voltage glass insulators that fail the shock test? JUST AN IDLE THOUGHT - I am continually amazed by the fact that that the world itself does not sink out of orbit into the universe by being weighted down by the gazillions of tons of collected crap laying around out there. Now to divert back to the point before this likely event occurs-I would still like to own a 63-69 Excellente and /or a Bozeman custom shop reissue so please contact me if you have one available.

Moose

d.dogs@verizon.net

Not interested in FT550's

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not having heard from an Excellente owner re selling one either before or after earth warming became such a hot topic' date=' maybe I should just chill out and collect memorial hub caps or possibly high voltage glass insulators that fail the shock test? JUST AN IDLE THOUGHT - I am continually amazed by the fact that that the world itself does not sink out of orbit into the universe by being weighted down by the gazillions of tons of collected crap laying around out there. Now to divert back to the point before this likely event occurs-I would still like to own a 63-69 Excellente and /or a Bozeman custom shop reissue so please contact me if you have one available.

Moose

d.dogs@verizon.net

[/quote']

Original Brazilian rosewood Excellentes were rare enough in the day, but given their multi-piece necks and other structural delicacies, coupled with their B class collectible rating indicates to me that you just have to be patient.

Many of the Excellentes' contemporaries like the El Dorado, Texan or Frontier cycle around on eBay (as I am sure you know) - so it is only a matter of time before one shows up - and I assume you have a saved search on your account?

I know how frustrating it is when you are looking for something outside the mainstream. I was once on the prowl for a 1970s Yamaki Deluxe to replace a worn out one and I can tell you that search cost me about 4200 strands of hair. I actually found one when I stopped trying so hard - two blocks from my work.

Still, I would suggest that you contact all the usual suspects (dealers) if you haven't done so already. It is the kind of guitar that a dealer might turn a nose up at unless they know a buyer is lurking.

Hey Moose, I heard from reliable sources that Esteban is about to launch an Excellente 'knockoff'. I hear that it is real close to the original and that Epi is considering a lawsuit. Since you are an alumni of the Academy of Piss Poor Pickin' Techniques and a close personal friend of 'The Great Masked One' , I suggest that you snag one, before the lawsuit ensues. Possibly that would satiate your GAS pains until you come across the 'real deal'!

...RRod

Hey Mooseguy! Check your PMs!

Uncle Buck

Hi Uncle B

Thanks a million for your heads up on the Craigs List FT550. Although they also call this model Epi an Excellente-it is named after the real McCoy and not the one I am looking for-Thanks though for your kind help.

Regards,

Moose

Hi Uncle B

Thanks a million for your heads up on the Craigs List FT550. Although they also call this model Epi an Excellente-it is named after the real McCoy and not the one I am looking for-Thanks though for your kind help.

Regards' date='

Moose[/quote']

Nice try Buck and Moose we still got our eyes open this side of the pond

Don't give up!

Hi Uncle B

Regards' date='

Moose[/quote']

Nice try Buck and Moose we still got our eyes open this side of the pond

Don't give up!

Hey Moose' date=' I heard from reliable sources that Esteban is about to launch an Excellente 'knockoff'. I hear that it is real close to the original and that Epi is considering a lawsuit. Since you are an alumni of the Academy of Piss Poor Pickin' Techniques and a close personal friend of 'The Great Masked One' , I suggest that you snag one, before the lawsuit ensues. Possibly that would satiate your GAS pains until you come across the 'real deal'!

...RRod[/quote']

Hi El Grand RetroRod and salutations from a cherished alumnus of the APPPAGT (Advanced Guitar Techniques ) located in beautiful down town Elephant's Breath Mexico

What startling and welcome news about a possible coming knock off of Excellentes by Estaban guitars. I shall immediately dispatch one of my more sober carrier pigeons (as all are on tequila soaked grain as a flavor enhancement) to put my name at the head of the list for one.

As you might surmise, my admiration and exultation of the "The Great Masked One" continues

unabated in light of the role model he serves to the student body of the Academy. I can now proudly announce that the second graduation class of two demonstrated startling ability in their improved playing to mask their real clinkers by dint of their lighting fast application of semi clinkers.

The new playing technique recently developed by a former graduate has proved so successful that it shall be offered as a new post graduate course in the coming semesters.

I thank you personally for your interest in my continued quest for an Excellente and also, send salutations from the proud Director of the Academy Dr.Vericos Veinus PHD, MUI

Regards,

Moose

OK, so after doing some nosing around, I guess you must be looking for a 1963-1970 model, with perhaps a preference for a '63 or '64? Or am I still missing the target?

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open!

EDIT: When all else fails, read the entire post, LOL! OK, '63-'69. I also refuse to read the instructions on products I purchase and won't stop and ask for directions, either...

Uncle Buck

/or a Bozeman custom shop reissue so please contact me if you have one available.

Moose

d.dogs@verizon.net

Not interested in FT550's

If you will settle for a Bozeman reissue, have you considered having one custom made by Bozeman? Might cost a small fortune.

If you will settle for a Bozeman reissue' date=' have you considered having one custom made by Bozeman? Might cost a small fortune.[/quote']

Hi Gear Basher

Since I have recently turned a tiny fortune into a much smaller one via the stock market and

could now retire on the interest on my debts, a custom ordered Excellente from Bozeman would probably be more than an existing one Thanks any way for your appreciated suggestion.

regards,

Moose

. . . and could now retire on the interest on my debts . . .

Aha! The answer is right here! Have you considered a loan so you can order a custom shop Excellente? Just imagine it with the woods you have selected, bound to your tastes with your own choice of sound hole size! As long as you have available credit, you have money for everything!

Aha! The answer is right here! Have you considered a loan so you can order a custom shop Excellente? Just imagine it with the woods you have selected' date=' bound to your tastes with your own choice of sound hole size! As long as you have available credit, you have money for everything![/quote']

Ballcorner:

The mere thought of your suggestion gets my blood racing-I could also get Loretta Lynn's name done on the neck just like hers. Seriously-I know Bozeman could do it but I would miss all the fun and excitement

of finding that 90 year old lady who hid her dear departed one's original Excellnte from the revenuers

when they knocked off his still-just imagine the aroma that guitar would give off -money just can't

replicate those things - and- most to the point- I would really miss all these kind suggestions and encouragements received from various persons like your self.

Regards,

Moose

P.S. and also not to be dismissed-Estaban would be mad as hell in missing all that free publicity I give him-how could I ever make that up to "The Great Masked One"

Seriously-I know Bozeman could do it but I would miss all the fun and excitement

of finding that 90 year old lady who hid her dear departed one's original Excellnte from the revenuers

when they knocked off his still-just imagine the aroma that guitar would give off -money just can't

replicate those things -

Yes, the thrill of the hunt. I know it well. Unfortunately, the internet greatly reduces the number and duration of the "hunts". But yours is a good one.

Hey Moose' date=' I heard from reliable sources that Esteban is about to launch an Excellente 'knockoff'. I hear that it is real close to the original and that Epi is considering a lawsuit. Since you are an alumni of the Academy of Piss Poor Pickin' Techniques and a close personal friend of 'The Great Masked One' , I suggest that you snag one, before the lawsuit ensues. Possibly that would satiate your GAS pains until you come across the 'real deal'!

...RRod[/quote']

As the head of the Esteban custom shop, I can tell you that is patently untrue.

Our newest custom issue is however, very exciting. It is our traditional dreadnaught size, BUT, the construction of the guitar is revolutionary. Our newest Custom Shop issue is made completely from the same felt as Estaban's hat.

The Estaban Custom Shop Hatfelt Issue is an exceptional guitar that FINALLY tames the strident "high" tones emitted by so many other, inferior guitars.

Additionally, the felt body solves another problem that plagues too many other guitars made of old fashioned wood, that the volume is just too loud. Other guitars have a bothersome volume level that disturbs the other people present in the same room as the player. The new Esteban Custom Shop Hatfelt Issue can only be heard by the player (and just barely), making practice and instruction with the Masked One's cassette and DVD materials more enjoyable and less embarassing: no one can hear your mistakes!

Not only that, in the event that it gets left out in the rain after an evening of porch pickin', the Esteban Custom Shop Hatfelt Issue also springs back to shape after being rung out to dry. Try that with those old wood guitars!

Finally, it is my sincere pleasure to tell you that the ECSHI will come in TWO editions: one in wool felt, and one in fine rabbit's fur felt, the choice of discriminating old world chapeau makers eveywhere.

Can I get one of those custom shop Estebans in Brazilian Felt with an Eastern Red "Adirondack" Felt top? And what about the bracing? Is the bracing felt?

Uncle Buck

EVERYTHING on the ECSHI is felt. Including the strings. It is through an exclusive partnership with the felt supplier of the official Esteban hat that we are able to bring you this extrordinary value. That and the hats are not selling, so we have lot of felt in our warehouse.

El Grande Senor Retro Rod

I JUST KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF-I shall immediately place an order with the Esteban

Custom Shop for the new HatFelt Special-As my wish seems to be your every command-here is the criteria I wished used on this order to wit:

Top: To be made of the finest dried road kill findable within 100 miles of your shop-this will give you ample area for

your search of same. Proviso-absolutely NO eyeballs are to be included in the overall top material.

Back & Sides: I leave this up to your shop completely as I know the taste will be superior to mine. However. deep down I must confess that I would really like elephant felt used for the body but I realize that you can't kill an elephant for just one quitar-how about a baby elephant?

Tone- As when I get lost in my music, which is often, I often find myself playing an octave faster. Now-can a compensating something be inserted somewhere on the instrument to give my playing more resonance in this respect? The closest description of the high tone that I really seek for this guitar is that of a mouse being raped. If this tone is too confining for your shop to produce, how about that of screeching brakes before the hit?

In closing , I am confident of a wonderful instrument being produced by your shop and can only dream that the "The Great Masked One" might personally play it before shipping. Were this to happen, please advise and those very strings will be replace by others and shall be personally treasured as a keepsake forever that is, of course, unless I hear that EBay is seeking them for a special auction.

Regards,

Moose

P.S If possible,would you use fossilized Bar B Q pork bones for saddle & pins. I would be thrilled beyond words if the bones came

from a Bar B Q close to Elvis's home.

PPS-A stroke of genious after thought-maybe you could also smoke cure the felt used in the guitar over hickery

I don't think you should give up. Everyone has their own personal Grail. Mine may be just as futile as yours: $1.00 a gallon gasoline. Remeber that???

Anothony-I confess to being older than you can imagine-how about 10 cent Good humor Bars

Regards,

Moose

P>S. I'lle bet that I find an Excellente before you see $1 gas if ever again-I like your sense of humor however .

El Grande Senor Retro Rod

I JUST KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN' date=' I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF-I shall immediately place an order with the Esteban

Custom Shop for the new HatFelt Special-As my wish seems to be your every command-here is the criteria I wished used on this order to wit:

Top: To be made of the finest dried road kill findable within 100 miles of your shop-this will give you ample area for

your search of same. Proviso-absolutely NO eyeballs are to be included in the overall top material.

Back & Sides: I leave this up to your shop completely as I know the taste will be superior to mine. However. deep down I must confess that I would really like elephant felt used for the body but I realize that you can't kill an elephant for just one quitar-how about a baby elephant?

[/quote']

Dear once and future patron,

The Esteban Custom Shoppe (please note our new spelling) is unable to meet your request. We think some difficulty or unfamilarity with your language or you with ours has produced some confusion regarding the materials the Esteban Custom Shoppe Hatfelt Issue is to be encumbered with. It is felt. You seem to requesting a top and side made from animal PELTS, which we simply cannot accommodate, as there is too much hatfelt in our warehouse/Custome Shoppe (note the new spelling) for us to store any pelts.

Now, our Special Edition with the rabbit felt top and sides may be to your liking. It IS made from boiled and pressed animal fur, which is similar to pelts. However an important distinction you may wish to note is that PELTS have skin, and felt does not. At least, none that's visble, or that cannot be scraped off with a little effort.

Besides, you may note that drums are made with skins, and they are quite loud. The ECSHI is designed for the acute of hearing, as it's volume is generally undectable without the aid of instruments or paranoid delusional tendencies.

Sadly, the Great Masked One's many promotional appearances prevent him from playing every ECSH that leaves the Customer Shoppe. Please rest assured, valued customer, that Quality Control Engineers who were trained by Esteban himself (via long-distance conference call and a wall chart) will go over your guitar with, as they say in our country, a fine tooth comb (hatbrush, really). Any flaws they manage to find will be circled with flourescent paint to make them easier for you to identify once you open the box. You will proud to show your friends the handmade nature of the instrument.

Aslo, please note that any black tint that appears on your skin from touching the guitar (which is not recommended) should vanish after several cleansings with tuprentine, industrial solvent, or common household drain openers.

Red 333

President

Esteban Custom Shoppe

Hi Red:

First, please excuse my confusing you with Senor RetroRod who had previously turned down the position you now enjoy. I wish you much success in this post.

As I have long dreamed of having my very own 63-64 Excellente which has not yet happened, I learned with great excitement of the fact that the Esteban Custom Shopee is now offering a special felt line of guitars. In my prior posting, I made inquirey as to whether specific features I would require could be furnished by ECS. A guitar top made of prime road kill predominately patterned without eyeballs (if at all possible) is a must requisite of my intended order. This ,you state, ECS is unable (or unwilling)to make for me. Is your sales motto "The Customer Is Always Wrong" really that set in stone? Based on this refusal, please note that I now intend to approach the Gibson Custom Shop regarding this requirement.

Moose

P.S. If Gibson Custom Shop makes my guitar, you can bet that I'lle have Ren Ferguson sign the top.

Archived