Gibson Brands Forums

SHOULD I GIVE UP LOOKING FOR AN EPIPHONE EXCELLENTE and start collecting "limited run" Est

mooseguy

Here - at the bottom of this first page you will see that she retains copyright to the photos on her site.

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php

Here is the original page the picture was taken from

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158

I know it is hard to believe that photobucket isn't keeping up on copyrights with only a few pictures posted there' date=' but hey - stuff happens.[/quote']

how 'bout this instead?

images60.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Excellente's are favorites of mine. I am fortunate to have two of them. The Korean reissues are better than you might expect. The Montana limited edition reissues are true works of art (referring to the limited run of, I believe, 9 guitars, that were personally built by John and Ren). These Montana guitars sound better than the originals by far (though we know the Excellente was the most expensive guitar produced by Gibson/Epiphone at the time, the mid '60s are not looked upon as the Golden Age of tone for Gibson acoustics).

The eBay guitar looks like a good example. It's hard to imagine how it will sound, though I would expect it to be typical of Excellentes. The narrow neck/nut width will make it a problem for some folks if they are players as opposed to collectors. But given the sad fact that Excellentes are not rated highly on the collectibility scale, it should probably go to a player, anyway.

The last '60's Excellente that I know of sold at Elderly for about $5,000 as I recall, but that was well over a year ago. I had both of my Excellentes before I saw that one, so I passed it up.

There is also currently a very nice one for sale in the UK. Though it has a volume and tone knob added on the top (why do people do these things???), it has the most beautiful neck wood I have ever seen on an Excellente.

It will be interesting to watch this eBay item as it presents some interesting variables. A player who likes the tone of Excellentes would be very happy with it, if he can get used to the neck width. A collector might want it, but given the current economy and the slightly-lower-than-top-rated collectibility rating of these, a collector might pass it up for a vintage Martin (--yawn--) or some other more ordinary and better known guitar. I guess the sad fact is that since Excellentes are fewer in number, they are lesser known and thus won't ever achieve the same collectibility (or re-sale potential) of something more plentiful like a D-28 Martin. Though we Excellente fans all appreciate these wonderful guitars, they are far harder to sell than a D-28 of comparable value. Like so many other vintage items, value is determined by many forces other than scarcity.

But, who cares. I will always be an Excellente fan. If it was good enough for Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn, it's good enough for me.

1254 views for this thread. i think it'll need its own clinic for homecoming. it has a life of its own. when i was in detroit the other day' date=' the current bid for it came up on an amber alert sign on I-75.[/quote']

too funny, ch! very good.

too funny' date=' ch! very good.[/quote']

Johnt

It was not my intention to become the Bard of the GREAT EXCELLENTE SEARCH thread

BUT SO BE IT-WHAT IS MY OPINION AGAINST THOSE COUNTLESS OF THOUSANDS?

TO ADD TO THIS HONOR-I WAS JUST AWARDED A SECOND MUI DEGREE (MASTER OF USELESS INFORMATION) FROM THAT PRESTIGIOUS BASTION OF MEXICAN HIGHER LEARNING PEON U.

Regards,

Moose MUI, PHD

... maybe I should just ..collect limited run estaban guitars' date=' ...

d.dogs@verizon.net

Not interested in FT550's[/quote']

There in lies the marketing. Collectors edition plates, cups, mugs, guitars, pencil sharpeners, Thomas The Tank Engine toys... "COMPLETE YOUR SET" They say

There is no completing the set.. they always make more.. always make more.. definitely more. You cannot get ahead of them, they just keep coming.... and coming and coming... Oh the humanity!.... STOP THE MADNESS.... SAVE YOURSELF.... BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE....

DON'T.... GET.... HOOOKED... ON... ESTABan..

Johnt

It was not my intention to become the Bard of the GREAT EXCELLENTE SEARCH thread

BUT SO BE IT-WHAT IS MY OPINION AGAINST THOSE COUNTLESS OF THOUSANDS?

TO ADD TO THIS HONOR-I WAS JUST AWARDED A SECOND MUI DEGREE (MASTER OF USELESS INFORMATION) FROM THAT PRESTIGIOUS BASTION OF MEXICAN HIGHER LEARNING PEON U.

Regards' date='

Moose MUI, PHD[/quote']

Sorry Moose????

What did I say??

Br

JOhn

There in lies the marketing. Collectors edition plates' date=' cups, mugs, guitars, pencil sharpeners, Thomas The Tank Engine toys... "COMPLETE YOUR SET" They say

There is no completing the set.. they always make more.. always make more.. definitely more. You cannot get ahead of them, they just keep coming.... and coming and coming... Oh the humanity!.... STOP THE MADNESS.... SAVE YOURSELF.... BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE....

DON'T.... GET.... HOOOKED... ON... ESTABan..

Tommy K

You haven't lived until you have gazed upon the new Estaban Duende-inlay up the cazoo

Sorry Moose????

What did I say??

Br

JOhn

Johnt-you have said nothing but nice things as have all other responders to my thread-I confused you with Jannusguy POSTING ABOVE and was only kidding him in this reply. MUST I NOW BECOME POLITICALLY CORRECT? PLEASE DON'T ANSWER-IT WILL RUIN MY DAY.

REGARDS,

MOOSE

p.s. I really don't know what I am talking about any more than you do

1254 views for this thread. i think it'll need its own clinic for homecoming. it has a life of its own. when i was in detroit the other day' date=' the current bid for it came up on an amber alert sign on I-75.[/quote']

Cunkhead:

Congratualtions-I got you music site by mistake and was treated to sheer magic-your A side aptly titled "SORRY DON'T CUT IT'' had tears welling up in my eyeballs-Where should I bill you for the Kleenex it took to control the crying? Did you by any chance attend any of the composition classes given by the Piss Poor Picking Academyof Advance Guitar Techniques of which I am one of the proud founders. Their instructural presence is stamped all over your work. I shall personally see to it that you are properly honored and recognized for your truly amazing songwriting abilities at their next graduation exercise.

Regards,

Moose

P.S. Your portrait on your play site is a real study in solitary thinking-please post your link so that our fellow thread readers may enjoy it and the music as much as I have.

ANSWER TO YOUR BELOW POSTING

YOU HAVE DONE US ALL A FAVOR BY POSTING THE ESTABAN GUITAR INSTRUCTION COURSE LINK-SERIOUSLY-THE PLAYING IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL. HOWEVER,IF I TOOK THE COURSE I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PLAY MALLAGUENA IN 2 EASY CD'S AS ADVERTISED WHEN AFTER 10 YEARS OF TRYING I STILL CAN'T GET THE THEME TO "HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE YARD"STRAIGHT.

I DO STRONGLY ADVISE ALL OUR READERS TO GO TO YOUR PERSONAL LINK BELOW THE ESTEBAN ONE FOR YOUR OWN ORIGINAL RENDITIONS AND YOUR PERSONAL PHOTO OF HOW YOU ATTAIN SUCH MUSICAL HEIGHTS. THIS WILL BE SO INSPIRATIONAL TO ALL BUDDING SONG WRITERS AND GUITARISTS WHO VISIT YOUR SITE.

Cunkhead:

Congratualtions-I got you music site by mistake and was treated to sheer magic-your A side aptly titled "YOU DON'T CUT IT ANY MORE" had tears welling up in my eyeballs-Where should I bill you for the Kleenex it took to control the crying? Did you by any chance attend any of the composition classes given by the Piss Poor Picking Academyof Advance Guitar Techniques of which I am one of the proud founders. Their instructural presence is stamped all over your work. I shall personally see to it that you are properly honored and recognized for your truly amazing songwriting abilities at their next graduation exercise.

Regards' date='

Moose

P.S. Your portrait on your play site is a real study in solitary thinking-please post your link so that our fellow thread readers may enjoy it and the music as much as I have.[/quote']

thanks, moose! (i think....) though not formally trained, i owe it all to the master.

here is a link to my secret....

http://www.estebanmusic.com/guitars.html?product_id=EM520

Johnt:

I am positively proud of your Rene Descartes illustrated quoted saying-this really shows the degree of utter sophistication of the readers of my thread which is absolutely unmatched by other thread responders. What Royal Order do you aspire to? Perhaps I can put a good word to the proper sources to further this aspiration. In the mean while, the Piss Poor Picking Academy of Advanced Guitar Techniques wishes to honor you with a visiting professorship.This of course would be a prelude to you endowing a chair for the continued studies of Descartes philosophical thoughts which our student body would have absolutely no interest in. However, your endowment will certainly help fund our weekly tequila tasting parties.

Regards,

Moose MUI, PHD

Johnt:

I am positively proud of your Rene Descartes illustrated quoted saying-this really shows the utter sophistication of the readers of my thread which is absolutely unmatched by other thread responders. What Royal Order do you aspire to? Perhaps I can put a good word to the proper sources to further this aspiration. In the mean while' date=' the Piss Poor Picking Academy of Advanced Guitar Techniques wishes to honor you with a visiting professorship.This of course would be a prelude to you endowing a chair for the continued studies of Descartes philosophical thoughts which our student body would have absolutely no interest in. However, your endowment will certainly help fund our weekly tequila tasting parties.

Regards,

Moose[/quote']

Greetings most honourable one.

Aspiration is not a consideration regarding my nobility. One is born to the cause and one simply has to accept the onerous responsibility of pubic service (yes there is a typo)

Unaccustomed as I am to public squeaking I must state that as a long standing member of "The under the bed clothes club" I am most delighted to accept this honour from TPPAAG.

We at TUBCC have long respected the contribution made by the TPPAAG in correcting such atrocities as "Thumb over" and "pinky on bridge".

I value this honour but have to say that it is not my acheivement but that of my team. I will continue in my quest for world peace and small animals.

I have recently recived a similar honour from The Organisation for Six String Evaluation then Rejection, which caused me similar palpitations.

Striving as I do to ensure the continuity of this most esteemed thread I accept your chair, is it possible that I could have red leather straps, they look so good against the leopard skin.

Regarding my endowment, yes you are right, there have been past complaints some I have to say, due in part to tequila tasting sessions.

Whereas I have been combating the ailment with the traditional treatment of a cornish pasty applied to my derriere, I have to say that the benevolence of your advice and perhaps others from the splendid thread may harden my resolve.

Thank you for your moose kind words

John

TUBCC

If I might be so bold and as a footnote.

May I respectfully remind you of your vow to senor cunkhead esteban of Alaska

"I shall personally see to it that you are properly honored and recognized for your truly amazing songwriting abilities at their next graduation exercise."

He might be pis*ed that I received the honour first.

But what do I care I am only in it for me!

FOR JOHNT

EL GRANDE SENOR JOHNT

I am absolutely thrilled by your acceptance of the Visiting Professorship Chair at the

PPP Academy of Advance Guitar Technigues.

As for the actual honorary chair you shall occupy during your instructural sessions, the Academy

is having a customized dished seat constructed to comfortably accommodate your Cornish pastry

application.

The Academy is now in the critical summer stage of assigning courses to our various instructors

for the coming Fall semester. As we are located in beautiful downtown Elephant's Breath Mexico for tax abatement and other less obvious reasons, time is of the essence in course assignments.

This is due to having to suspend all activities at semester start to allow our students to participate

in the local running of the bulls. Pardon the French but these little bastards insist on doing this. (pogo sticks and rickshaws are not permitted uses therein) Therefore,

with your kind permission, we have chosen to have you teach our vastly popular course DING AVOIDANCE 101- sub titled DO THIS TO ME AND I'LL HIT YOU IN YOUR XXX HEAD. You should be warned that knives and guns must be checked at the door for obvious reasons as this course is a practical exercise in anger management. We frankly have to flunk the larger percentage of the student who take the course and sincerely hope that your impeccable manners will set a higher standard than heretofore achieved.

Now that you have a clearer picture of your future activity with our Academy, we wish you the best

of luck and bid you HASTA LA VISTA until your most anticipated arrival takes place.

Best Regards,

Moose MUI, PHD

P.S. Please know that we will furnish you a bullet proof vest to be worn during class hours

Archived