Gibson Brands Forums

SHOULD I GIVE UP LOOKING FOR AN EPIPHONE EXCELLENTE and start collecting "limited run" Est

mooseguy

Red 333

President

Esteban Custom Shoppe

Hi Red:

First' date=' please excuse my confusing you with Senor RetroRod who had previously turned down the position you now enjoy. I wish you much success in this post..[/quote']

Senor Retro Rod was the head of the Custom Shoppe? This I did not know. I am certainly not one to deny a man his livelyhood.

I actually became head of the Custom Shoppe a little bit by accident. I called upon the Custom Shop (note old spelling) while in the process of carrying out my duties for my previous employer (in felt sales), and found the door ajar, and no one in the office. Perhaps I should not have been so impetuous as to assume all managerial and creative control, and should wait for the staff to return from lunch or what have you.

What is the circumference of your head, Senor Moose? I will commence cutting the soundhole of your ECSHI to those exact dimensions.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Moose this is gonna make you sick:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1933337

Gearbasher:

Thanks a lot for that Korean Posting-Doesn't make me sick as I have played a couple of these in the past.They are nice sounding and showy guitars but I will bet don't sound like the real McCoy. As the old saying goes " You generally get what you pay for"

With your sharp eyes I have a feeling that you are going to spot the real deal for me. Should this happen, I will be only too happy to reward you for same. This applies to anyone else who may contact me in this regard.

Moose

d.dogs@verizon.net

Senor Retro Rod was the head of the Custom Shoppe? This I did not know. I am certainly not one to deny a man his livelyhood.

I actually became head of the Custom Shoppe a little bit by accident. I called upon the Custom Shop (note old spelling) while in the process of carrying out my duties for my previous employer (in felt sales)' date=' and found the door ajar, and no one in the office. Perhaps I should not have been so impetuous as to assume all managerial and creative control, and should wait for the staff to return from lunch or what have you.

What is the circumference of your head, Senor Moose? I will commence cutting the soundhole of your ECSHI to those exact dimensions.

[/quote']

Red333

I am so grateful to you for your understanding of my requirements for a custom order job.Could I digress and ask a very personal question? Obviously knowing and caring so much about felt as your technical observations regarding this material seems to indicate-DO YOU POSSIBLY HAVE A FELT FETISH? I once knew a comely female painter who did all her work on velvet-what would this lead you to believe?

Enough of this chit chat and onward to bigger and better sound hole choices. I have sat a small kangaroo on a Xerox machineand am forwarding the image for the proper sizing of the lower bout-I leave the sound hole size completely up to your unimpeachable judgement and vivid imagination.

Moose

As to the title post... Why give up at all?

The hunt is part of the treasure.

The posting lead was just to get the attention-I have been looking for 5 years and have had one close miss-I will never give up till I own that Excellente

Thanks for your encouragement

Regards,

Moose

• 2 weeks later...

Mooseguy, can you read Japanese?

http://www.guitars-shop.com/list/acoustic/acoustic_gibson/epiphone_excellente-vs_1993.htm

I don't know how old this page is.

Translated page: (you have to copy and paste the whole address)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.guitars-shop.com/list/acoustic/acoustic_gibson/epiphone_excellente-vs_1993.htm

Mooseguy' date=' can you read Japanese?

http://www.guitars-shop.com/list/acoustic/acoustic_gibson/epiphone_excellente-vs_1993.htm

I don't know how old this page is.

Translated page: (you have to copy and paste the whole address)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.guitars-shop.com/list/acoustic/acoustic_gibson/epiphone_excellente-vs_1993.htm[/quote']

Gear Basher

Thanks a million for your appreciated Japanese Excellente heads up.

What is pictured looks like a a better made Korean reissue sunburst model. However, In 1993, the Gibson custom shop job did make a series of 9 Excellentes for a Japanese collector, one of which was a sunburst and this guitar may possibly be that one.(see the No.8 on the rear headstock photo)

For your guidance, the true Excellentes were not made in sunburst. Even the reissue Koreans

are more desirable in natural. For my liking, the same applies here.

Thanks again for your kind help & keep looking-I am

Moose

• 2 weeks later...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1966-Epiphone-Excellente-Gibson-Made-Not-a-Reissue_W0QQitemZ190236754995QQihZ009QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is great - it is right in Nashville so I can pick it up while I am there next week. Thanks for the link - I appreciate it. I have wanted one of these for quite a while.

This isn't directly my business but I am sure you agree mooseguy was the one to whom the link was directed. He is the one who as you know has been searching ad infinitum and as such' date=' if there is honour amongst thieves he should have first crack.

see your quote 13th June to Moose

"

Original Brazilian rosewood Excellentes were rare enough in the day, but given their multi-piece necks and other structural delicacies, coupled with their B class collectible rating indicates to me that you just have to be patient.

Many of the Excellentes' contemporaries like the El Dorado, Texan or Frontier cycle around on eBay (as I am sure you know) - so it is only a matter of time before one shows up - and I assume you have a saved search on your account?

I know how frustrating it is when you are looking for something outside the mainstream. I was once on the prowl for a 1970s Yamaki Deluxe to replace a worn out one and I can tell you that search cost me about 4200 strands of hair. I actually found one when I stopped trying so hard - two blocks from my work.

Still, I would suggest that you contact all the usual suspects (dealers) if you haven't done so already. It is the kind of guitar that a dealer might turn a nose up at unless they know a buyer is lurking."

Perhaps and hopefully Ballcorner I am over sensitive and this is your sense of humour BC in which case you got me!

I emailed Mooseguy just in case

Perhaps and hopefully Ballcorner I am over sensitive and this is your sense of humour BC in which case you got me!

I emailed Mooseguy just in case

Indeed, this is my sense of humour - but motivated by the fact that I think if people find something someone really badly needs they should PM the guy, not post it here because it could happen that another member wants the guitar and a bidding war would start - which is great for the seller but not nice for anyone else and if moose loses the war, well then it would be a travesty.

Still, you've been Punk'd.

So, take my suggestion and delete this thread. Set up a PayPal donation site so we can chip in a few dollars each in case the guitar gets expensive. Let's work together to help our friend get his dream guitar - because this one looks to be in pretty fine condition and we all want to see him so happy his cheeks hurt from smiling, don't we?

Indeed' date=' this is my sense of humour - but motivated by the fact that I think if people find something someone really badly needs they should PM the guy, not post it here because it could happen that another member wants the guitar and a bidding war would start - which is great for the seller but not nice for anyone else and if moose loses the war, well then it would be a travesty.

So, take my suggestion and delete this thread. Set up a PayPal donation site so we can chip in a few dollars each in case the guitar gets expensive. Let's work together to help our friend get his dream guitar - because this one looks to be in pretty fine condition and we all want to see him so happy his cheeks hurt from smiling, don't we?[/quote']

Thank God I didn't say what I was reallythinking then!

I agree 100% about the PM.

I have been Punk'd as you say but I feel in a good cause.

Regrding deleting threads NCD.

Regarding chipping in a few $ no worries.

Indeed' date=' this is my sense of humour - but motivated by the fact that I think if people find something someone really badly needs they should PM the guy, not post it here because it could happen that another member wants the guitar and a bidding war would start - which is great for the seller but not nice for anyone else and if moose loses the war, well then it would be a travesty.

So, take my suggestion and delete this thread. Set up a PayPal donation site so we can chip in a few dollars each in case the guitar gets expensive. Let's work together to help our friend get his dream guitar - because this one looks to be in pretty fine condition and we all want to see him so happy his cheeks hurt from smiling, don't we?[/quote']

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR CONCERN FOR ME FOR A FAIR SHOT AT THE NEW EXCELLENTE LISTING. I HAD A FEELING THAT MAYBE THIS WAS A PUT ON BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT STRANGE

MILLIONAIRES MAY ROAM THIS FORUM-BALLCORNER COULD BE HOWARD HUGHE'S ILLIGIMATE SON FOR ALL I KNOW.QUESTION: HOW DO YOU RETURN FOR CREDIT A CAR LOAD OF TUMS?

WIN LOOSE OR DRAW-i HAVE MADE LOTS OF FRIENDS HERE SO EVEN LOOSING THE EXCELLENTE

WON'T BE THE END OF THE WORLD.

MOOSE

Thank God I didn't say what I was reallythinking then!

I agree 100% about the PM.

I have been Punk'd as you say but I feel in a good cause.

Regrding deleting threads NCD.

Regarding chipping in a few $ no worries.

[/

jOHNT:

THANKS FOR YOUR APPRECIATED CONCERN-PLEASE SEE MY ANSWER TO THE ABOVE POSTING OF

BALLCORNER

MOOSE

Well, regardless of mooseguy's pocket depth, I still think it would be really cool if fifty people from the forum could PayPal the moose $20 each - this would give him the first bid of $1000 and allow him a certain freedom to ensure himself the acquisition of the instrument.

Nobody wants it more than he does, and it appears to be a really fine example that is up for sale.

Enjoy the TUMS.

Here - at the bottom of this first page you will see that she retains copyright to the photos on her site.

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php

Here is the original page the picture was taken from

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158

I know it is hard to believe that photobucket isn't keeping up on copyrights with only a few pictures posted there, but hey - stuff happens.

Archived