Gibson Brands Forums

I can't replace pickups with my gold top

Emilyguitar15

I took my guitar to the guitar shop a few weeks ago expecting the tech guy to replace a Dimarzio super distortion (p90 style) with the stock pickups but a few days later he called and said there was no way of replacing the pickup. I don't know what he said because my damn mom picked up. I went back to the guitar shop and the guy wasn't there but they mentioned something about a big hole being in the way. Anyone please help me out here, I'm terribly confused.

Make sure the tech knows the specific pickup model number, which appears to be DP209

Like here: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DIMDP209

And if it's the other way around (replacing the DiMarzio), still no problem, except

perhaps getting OEM replacement soapbars. There are plenty of good

aftermarket soapbars available. I think the hole is in the tech's head.

dimarzio super distortion with the numbers 209 just like you said.

Unless there's information I don't have, I think it's safe to say that the so-called tech

is wrong. Pickup replacement in a solid body guitar is a simple and straightforward

job. Call another shop and talk directly to the tech, telling him specifically what you

want done, asking price and how long it will take. If you have a relative or friend

who's familiar with basic electronics and soldering (not necessarily for guitars, although

that would help), they could help you replace the pickup yourself, saving time and

money and learning something in the process.

Unless there's information I don't have' date=' I think it's safe to say that the so-called tech

is wrong. Pickup replacement in a solid body guitar is a simple and straightforward

job.[/quote']

Not always. P-90s are not like humbuckers; they have different mounting requirements and they are not as flexible in that regard. Basically the pickup cavity is routed to fit a certain pickup depth and sometimes aftermarket pickups will require that the existing cavity be routed out or shimmed to allow for a proper pickup-to-string distance. I just installed a pair of SD P-90s in my Epi LP Special and I had to rout the neck pickup cavity since Seymour's 'Vintage P-90' pickup is based on the original 1940s Gibson design and as such is quite a bit deeper than the Epiphone P-90 it replaced. Not a simple or straightforward job.

filedbridge.jpg

Most techs who are only accustomed to screwing different humbuckers into a pickup ring will probably do something nasty in their pants when confronted with a job like this; it's really more in the province of a good luthier.

Archived