Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "Guitars of the World"

The_Sentry

=D>

This is a riff off of the China Red idea.

As I was thinking about it, the idea popped in there..."Why stop at China? Why not just....have a guitar that inspires patriotism for every nation in the world where Epiphones are played?"

The Concept:

1. Base model (Les Paul Special II in color of choice that best works for that country...)

xxl_electric-guitar-epiphone-les-pa.jpg

2. Truss Rod Cover with the name of the country, in that country's native language...

3. Over the "Special" writing, put a sticker or decal of the country's flag.

4. Chrome hardware and Grover tuners

5. On the body of the guitar, put some symbol or design that is associated with that country, be it an animal, a creature, writing, or a design? Example: In the United States, a red guitar with a bald eagle decal on the body with "USA" on the truss rod cover and an American flag on the headstock. Or, in the UK...a union jack on the headstock, "United Kingdom" on the truss rod cover, and some golden lions on the body? (or better yet...one for Scotland, one for England, and one for Ireland?) And, China's would have a Chinese flag on the headstock, Chinese writing (China) on the truss rod, and a dragon decal on the body?

And then release each model on a limited basis for all the countries in the world where Epiphones are played. So, you could end up with a Turkish guitar, a Danish guitar, a Canadian guitar, a German guitar, a Japanese guitar, a Mexican guitar, a Korean guitar, a Brazillian guitar, and on and on it goes.....(and who knows? Maybe someone with a lot of money would collect them, and have for example....all of Europe...)

Three guitars' date=' carved to look like a haggis, rotten teeth, and a drunk leprechaun. Kewl!

=D> [/quote']

Aw, c'mon RotcanX....you KNOW you wouldn't be able to say no to an Ireland White Special II with the harp on it!!!

brian-boru-celtic-harp.jpg

Or...a red Special II with the Scotland Lion....

scotland-royal.gif

And who can say no to Britannica's lady?

england_britannia.jpg

I think a melody maker may be a better idea because of:

A.Lower price if still bolt on (or higher construction quality if set)

B.one single coil pickup(more room for decals on the body)

C.it HAS a pickguard, which is easier to apply decals to then the guitar itself

D. It doesn't have Les Paul's name attached to it, so no offence to any other nations

E.It can be made in either a single cut or double cut model, with a humbucker or single coil, one pickup or two, and still be a melody maker. Endless configurations depending on year and country.

C.it HAS a pickguard' date=' which is easier to apply decals to then the guitar itself

D. It doesn't have Les Paul's name attached to it, so no offence to any other nations

E.It can be made in either a single cut or double cut model, with a humbucker or single coil, one pickup or two, and still be a melody maker. Endless configurations depending on year and country.[/quote']

Hmmm....Now you're talking! In fact, what about a single humbucker in gold or chrome with a volume and tone pot? That should keep hardware at a minimum......(and, give argument for putting grover tuners on the guitar..)

EDIT: if they're each released on a limited run, and are very affordable, you might see something akin to collecting models similar to collecting stamps or sports cards...only with guitars (and getting more than one model if it represents a different country...)

C.it HAS a pickguard' date=' which is easier to apply decals to then the guitar itself

E.It can be made in either a single cut or double cut model, with a humbucker or single coil, one pickup or two, and still be a melody maker. Endless configurations depending on year and country.[/quote']

...don't recall ever seeing a true Melody Maker with a humbucker. The Joan Jett sig doesn't count.

Hmmm....Now you're talking! In fact' date=' what about a single humbucker in gold or chrome with a volume and tone pot? That should keep hardware at a minimum......(and, give argument for putting grover tuners on the guitar..)[/quote']

also, ENDLESS pickup/cutaway/bridge combos!!!

One single coil:

478594.jpg

One humbucker(also a doublecut):

536245.jpg

One of each:

melody%20maker%202.JPG

Two single coils (and maestro):

65MelodyMaker.JPG

One P-90:

60101.jpg

SG body shape:

290-Melody%20Maker.jpg

So really, you have unlimited options, here.

Ian, I'm thinkin' this is the ticket....with a single humbucker, and with the pickguard matching the color of the guitar. (I don't know why, but I think a chrome humbucker would look nice on these), and you could just attach the decal right to the pickguard...

536245.jpg

There's also the tapped potential for touring bands for governments and armies as well....As an example, an American one might be a cool add for someone in a USO band or who plays in a jazz ensemble. (And no, it won't be a tone killer, but with the grovers it should stay in tune and it would look nice on parade...)

EDIT: I suppose if you wanted to make it a monster, you could leave a space for a nanomag addition right under the neck....

Nanomag Is an option As is a coil tap. Maybe put in something like a P-rails.

Killswitch or a tap/humbucker/kill wired 3-way switch may be the best wat to go.

Also' date=' not sure how necessary grovers are, why not a graphite nut?[/quote']

A graphite nut would be nice. The lower end Epiphones seem to have a lot of issues with staying in tune. If a graphite nut resolves this issue, and makes the grovers unnecessary, all the better. (and no, the nanomag isn't necessary. The main premise of this would be to make a really affordable guitar that sounded great, played well, stayed in tune, and inspired a sense of national pride. Hell, for symbols, they could even do surveys in music stores for that country with a choice of symbols just to get people talking about it..it's just one of those 'nice to have' sort of ideas, but no...not necessary at all....)

Also, Dubstar: As far as that pickguard goes, it probably would be as noticeable if it matched the color of the guitar, or the whole pickguard was decal'd with a design or mural representing that country....

Hey' date=' we can start our own company, and build them all!

The Dubstar

The Spud-star

The Mitchell (B-25 not included)

The Sentury

Don't know what we'd call mine..."The Blockhead?" (Slab body, no doubt)

;>)

CB[/quote']

Only if we get Matiac who will be in charge of the pickguards......#-o/

But there's definitely potential here...I mean, sure, a lot of us get really cynical in our older years, but everyone feels national pride now and then....(and if it was for a good, working guitar at around.....oh, I don't know...175-200 dollars with a certificate of authenticity....)

I'm almost certain epi's not letting a nanomag leave the factory for an under 300 dollar guitar.

Maybe the "deluxe" version' date=' with gold hardware, a set neck, and grover tuners could have one for about 300...[/quote']

Yeah....the nanomag is probably out. But keeping down to one humbucker should keep the cost level down. Less wiring to be certain (and the jack is right off the pickguard on those melody makers.)

And yes! Gold hardware and grovers, and a set neck for a hundred dollars more. (but keep the graphite nut...)

EDIT: Maybe something along the lines of this on the USA model....

ameagleflag1024wp.jpg

Only if we get Matiac who will be in charge of the pickguards......#-o/

But there's definitely potential here...I mean' date=' sure, a lot of us get really cynical in our older years, but everyone feels national pride now and then....(and if it was for a good, working guitar at around.....oh, I don't know...175-200 dollars with a certificate of authenticity....)[/quote']

He can be in charge of the pickguards, but we can't let him paint everything Blue! ;>)

CB

=D>

Eh' date=' I still think it's a cool idea....and it might be one of those instances where a cheap guitar (and an Epiphone no less) rises in value...especially if it's part of a collection or a series like this.

(Of course, one repercussion....some models might be more valuable than others on the open market years after a release date depending on what country they're associated with.)

default_eusa_wall.gif

Archived