Gibson Brands Forums

Help:Installing pups on Lucille

mote

I've installed/replaced a lot of pups over the last few decades. I recently bought an Epiphone Lucille. I am really interested in trying out a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge position. I opened up the plate on the back of the guitar and it is a scary place. I've been unable to find any wiring diagrams or layouts. For those of you who have done this, is it easy enough, or tricky? btw is *has* to be easier than the F-hole guitar I did years ago. That was a 3-hour battle to string the pots through. Thanks!

-Mote

You should be able to find a diagram on the Gibson site. It may not be exactly the same as the Epiphone but it should be close enough to give you the gist of it. Basically trace the old pickup's wire and just connect the new one to the same spot; ignore all the other dross in there.

I've installed/replaced a lot of pups over the last few decades. I recently bought an Epiphone Lucille. I am really interested in trying out a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge position. I opened up the plate on the back of the guitar and it is a scary place. I've been unable to find any wiring diagrams or layouts. For those of you who have done this' date=' is it easy enough, or tricky? btw is *has* to be easier than the F-hole guitar I did years ago. That was a 3-hour battle to string the pots through. Thanks!

-Mote[/quote']

FYI:

has lots of info on pickup installation.

NoHitlerSmall.gif

I pulled my pickups on my Lucille. It was pretty easy. I did 1 pickup at a time, desolder the 2 wires tie a string to the wires pull the pickup out and use the string to pull the new wires back through, and attach the leads back in the same spot. I agree there is a bit of spaghetti in that control cavity, but doing 1 at a time makes it pretty straight forward. Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

I like the "Fish" method as used by electricians. I was going to suggest the cheat method butthe alternate should work.

I was going to rework my Joe Pass but found the pickup leads were so short that I decided to keep it stock, and learn to play it properly.

Archived