Gibson Brands Forums

moderne

phoenix82389

I have the feeling that it wasn't a big seller so my guess would be probably not for a while. I love mine; I have wanted once ever since I first saw a pic of one and I didn't see that picture until the mid 70's - long after it was originally developed and shelved.

• 2 months later...

I just picked one up last night, a black and gold version of the Epiphone from 2000. Was a part of the limited edition they sold through the old MARS stores. Smaller than I thought it would be. Easy to play, great neck. Mine needs a little work, I need to put one of the original pickups back in it (luckily the guy kept it). The nut is chipped and will be replaced with a bone one but it doesn't affect playability. It has a grounding problem with the replacement DiMarzio so some electronics work is needed. The bridge pickup, really dark and heavy sounding. Might be due to the wiring issue, but its a bit fuzzy, sounds great my opinion as I play in a stoner rock band. Some minor work and this thing will be a beast! Can't wait to gig with it in January when my band gets off our break.

Ever since I saw these at MARS in 2000, I wanted one. At the time, couldn't really afford it. It won't replace my Gibsons (Flying V and Les Paul) as my main guitars, but it fits into my collection nicely and will be played hard!

Well, I have a Gibson Flying V, a Gibson Les Paul Studio VM, and an Epiphone LP Custom as well. This rounds out my collection very nicely. I'm not a fan of Explorers (I had a Goth that I didn't like much) and I've owned a couple of Gibson SGs (Special and Classic) that didn't suit me well either and I sold both this year. I might try a Firebird some day but I'm set for now.

I haven't fired the Moderne up through my Orange Rockerberb 100 half stack yet (it only gets used for gigs and is not set up at the moment, the cab is so heavy that I prefer to just leave it in one place). Sounds great through my Marshall DSL100 though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I picked up a set of calibrated Duncan 59s today, set of CTS pots, a Sprague Orange Drop cap, and a new open Gibson style toggle. I have a graphite nut also. Taking all it to the best shop in town for a pro install into the Moderne. I'll keep all of the original parts for restoration if needed some day. But I plan on making it a player and gigging the hell out of it.

I usually do all of my own modding, but for a guitar like this, I want it to be perfect.

• 1 year later...

Greetings fellow Epiphone fans,

I'm new to the forum...

I was considering selling my Epi Moderne when I stumbled upon this site. Great resource! Anyway...hello everyone!

About my Moderne: I purchased this brand new back in 2002. It is the black one with white pickguard. I had quite a time hunting one down. I actually had to talk to someone at Epiphone becuase these guitars had all but disappeard from the store shelves, so I called the manufacturer direct to see if they had a way to locate any stragglers...found one in Richmond, Virginia at Mars Music....bought it sight unseen over the phone with a credit card and had it shipped in a hrd shell Epiphone case. The Epi. rep told me that the natural Korina finsh ones were produced at a 5 to 1 ratio compared to the black ones, making it pretty rare. I beleive he said that only 1,000 were produced, so possibly only 200 of the black ones were produced...but I haven't tried to independently verify that. Mine is # 848.

It has S/N 100100848. Original retail price was $829.00 at Mars Music. I still have the original hang tag from the store, which they shipped with it! Green plastic tuners, "Gumby" headstock. Basically mint...Some discoloration on gold hardward (pickup covers & tailpiece). Barely played, and even then, only at home. Stored in Epiphone hardshell case for the better part of a decade.

I have some pix to post, but can't figure out how to do it...any quick & dirty instructions on uploading pix available?

paruwi6172, you were right...the first Numeral is an "I" and not a "1" as I had originally thought. I have decided to sell it...need the dough since me and the Mrs. have a bambino (or, since it's a girl, would it be bambina?) on the way...

I posted it on eBay...Item number: 320567323492

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320567323492

Thanks!

will it be returning to the line up any time soon?

When Mars was going out of business, they were trying to sell a Korina Moderne for a ridiculous price. On the last day they were open I offered $200.00 ang got it. Sold it for $500.

Another sale I deeply regret.

I had forgotten that I once had an Epiphone. (not long though).

Legs#-o

I had a heck of a time finding one. Mars was selling them at the time and as supplies slowly dwindled, I continued to save up for one. By the time I had enough dough together, the local (Virginia Beach) Mars had sold out. I ended-up calling Epiphone and they tracked down about 8 of them still on store shelves. One-by one I called all the stores...Baltimore, Miami, Nashville, etc...where they were still showing in inventory. Each one, in turn, had actually been sold, as I discovered when I spoke directly to the store, with the single exception of the Richmond, VA Mars store, which had one Black one in stock. I had actually wanted the Natural Koa wood finish...but all they had was the Black one. I bought it over the phone, sight unseen, by faxing in my credit card info. So, as far as I know...this was THE last one available anywhere in the US, still new from the store. I got it also for $199 plus tax & shipping...I even still have the tag from the store!

Archived