Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups or Lack Of

OhioSlashFan

I was watching VH1 classic earlier and i saw ACDC's video from thier new album and unless i was seing things Malcom's guitar had no neck pickup? If i wasn't seeing things' date=' what purpose would that serve to have a empty cavity where there should be a pickup?[/quote']

Could be. Some folks never use theirs. Too "jazzy"?

A lot of Telecaster folks swear that "Esquireing" their Teles (removing the neck pickup) to make them like the old Fender single pickup Esquire model really changes the overall tone of the remaining bridge pickup.

They claim the lack of magnetic pull from the neck pickup gives more sustain, harmonics and an open "airy" tone that you can't get on a dual pickup guitar.

Hopefully I will know soon, I just put a Squier Tele "classic vibe" on layaway, I'm planning on making it an Esquire with a custom "SK T-90" (a P-90 in Tele bridge pickup form) 8.5K/Alnico III/42 AWG pickup I had wound for me a while back. Hopefully it will be pure vintage twangin' P-90 bliss ! It was a really nice sounding pickup in my other Tele, so hopefully this esquire thing aint just a myth ! #-o

- Jay

Malcolms origional Gretsch hasn't had a neck p'up since about 1972........he removed it because he didn't have the money (back then) for a guitar with F-holes......but wanted some easy feedback to play around with.

They currently make a signature model with neither a p'up, nor an empty hole, but it's just not the same.

Back in the late 80's I had an Esquire. I think it was a MIJ reissue, definitely a Fender, not Squier. Not sure of the year. I only paid 400 bucks or so, so I know it wasn't an actual relic #-o

It sounded like a Tele to me, but I found the lack of "options" frustrating, so I ended up trading it toward a regular Tele complete w/ neck PU. I think I'd like it better now tell the truth. I'm a better player(I think...hope...might be?) after so many years, and I think I could make it work. I consider that one of the guitars that "got away".

Back in the late 80's I had an Esquire. I think it was a MIJ reissue' date=' definitely a Fender, not Squier. Not sure of the year. I only paid 400 bucks or so, so I know it wasn't an actual relic ;)

It sounded like a Tele to me, but I found the lack of "options" frustrating, so I ended up trading it toward a regular Tele complete w/ neck PU. I think I'd like it better now tell the truth. I'm a better player(I think...hope...might be?) after so many years, and I think I could make it work. I consider that one of the guitars that "got away".

[/quote']

I hear you! I passed on a few sweet Esquires when I was looking for my Tele, for that reason (what can you do with just one pickup ?). Now that I'm older and wiser I'm jonesin' bad for an Esquire. That Squier I put on layaway is a killer guitar, maybe Fender learned something from Epiphone (among others) about ensuring offshore quality . Chinese made for $300, and it blows away any of the Mexican Fender stuff for twice the price, I'd even say it's on par with the American stuff (sad but true). I'll report back when I've given her the overhaul (If this post isn't deleted that is #-o ).

- Jay

Malcolms origional Gretsch hasn't had a neck p'up since about 1972........he removed it because he didn't have the money (back then) for a guitar with F-holes......but wanted some easy feedback to play around with.

They currently make a signature model with neither a p'up' date=' nor an empty hole, but it's just not the same.[/quote'] I was doing some surfing and found it at Sam Ash. You are correct. it has one pickup, goes for $1450.00

Archived