Gibson Brands Forums

fret tips any good?

Stevie Nazarenie

a couple of posts down a guy tells his tips for fret work including thumb tacks and super glue for fretless necks. they sound workable to me although i have had some beer. i'm tempted to give the fret marker tip a go on my g400! IF it worked what are the right ones to replace them with? :D/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215989

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

The first thread is about removing the dots from the fingerboard. The guy uses thumb tacks as a tool to remove them. It says nothing about fret work.

I didn't read the thing about the soldering iron, but it's common practice to use heat (soldering iron, blow dryer, etc) to soften glue.

First, I'd let the beer wear off and think about it tomorrow. BTW, both threads quoted above deal with removing Inlays, not frets.

If I just had to try this, I'd try it on a junk guitar first. If not, you might have a junk guitar when your done!

Before removing Inlays why not try to color them the same color as the neck with a permanent marker of the same color as the neck wood. This would be much better than removing them and trying to fill in the hole, IMHO. :D

you missed it too? =; (post 6.)

"I used superglue because it worked great when I converted the neck to a fretless. When more than a few feet away the board looks completely uniform. Its transparency gives it the same color as the rosewood."

All this thread and I'm still unsure of what the question is...:D

[cautious] So you want to remove the frets?

no not that. partly just posting some home diy luthier attempts! they seem a little awry but workable.

i think using that technique i can get the fret markers off rather than using an exacto knife which was how i believed it was done. the problem is what to replace them with that will be an exact fit. i guess that is where the talent lies though.i am begining to think some filing is neccessary with any fret markers. unless someone knows otherwise. i was hoping to drop them straight in and glue them. i don't want to reshape them either so i was hoping there was an epi specific supply somewhere... i can't stand that white plastic i have it on 2 guitars. i have an old gibbo wreck fretboard i could get the markers off but as yet i've not measured them to see if they match. i will settle for mop or mots or abalone.

if it is too delicate i may go for colouring them in somehow perhaps with markers of gordy colours like bright green illuminous. =;/ but i don't want those felt tip type marks left on them. if you know what i mean.

if they are mots they are not natural and cut but are pressed and therefore the same uniform size? if so i could do the job i don't want to have to file down the fretboard. i am not so gifted. i was hoping fret inlay holes are routed uniformly too. but i never take things for granted. i will have to get further input here before i go onto this as also some are a bit dear.

A fretless bass is one thing, a fretless guitar is quite another. Violins are fretless and the players are acutely aware of positions and tones. On a bass, you can be off a few cents and few ears will detect it. At higher frequencies, we can all detect it. Fretless guitars are a bad idea, IMHO.

Archived