Gibson Brands Forums

$800 shipped tube FULL stack?!?!?

iansmitchell

Okay, not epiphone related, but, ****...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAV100FS

Holy. ****ing. ****.

V100-Stack-front-003e28728b1e21b37f4b6daaf00689ca.jpg

ZZsounds description:

Tubes! Just the smell of those glass bottles blazing with fire gets amp aficionados to perk up and lose their cool. Giving their all for the evolution of all-tube tone, Crate’s V-Series combos and stacks produce the sweet cleans and earthy distortion that can only come from tubes. Roadworthy construction, modern features and genuine value are causing legendary players and novices alike to develop a thermionic love-Jones for the Crate V-Series.

Crate V100H Head

Classic tones in a thoroughly flexible amp format, the V100H puts an unspeakable amount of power and tonal options in your hands while keeping the price point within your means. Switchable from 100W to 50W with no more than a flick of your finger, the V100H uses two separate headroom palettes to lay the foundation for its equally thoughtful Vintage or Flat voiced Boost function. Add its separate EQ for each of the "Clean" and Overdrive" channels and you've got a variety of tones to that dial in easily. Spring reverb and two inputs, Bright and Normal, round out its simple, effective feature set. The V100H is ideal for live use, allowing the player to set distinct voices that can be accessed on the fly and where massive power is needed.

Crate V412 Cabinets

Clean, stylish and powerful, the Crate V-Series 412 cabs feature 4 x 12 in. special designed, stamped frame, ceramic magnet speakers specifically designed to pair with the V100H all tube head. Rugged construction rounds out a perfect trifecta of stunning looks, great sound and roadworthy performance.

Technical Info

Crate V100H Head

100 Watts RMS, Class AB

Two channels, Clean and Overdrive

4 x 12AX7 preamp tubes, 4 x EL34 power tubes

3-Band (Treble, Middle, Bass) EQ on each channel

Vintage/"Flat" Voiced Boost

Normal and Bright inputs (which can be Y'ed)

4, 8 and 16 ohm Speaker Outputs

Spring Reverb with Level Control

Optional Footswitch for Channel Select, Boost and Reverb

Crate V412 Cabinets

240 Watts RMS Peak Handling Capability

4 x 12 in. Custom Designed, Stamped-Frame Ceramic Magnet Speakers

Durable plywood construction

Okay, I own a V18, and it's a lot of amp for the money. I'd keep it over my valve junior if it was to be my only amp. This thing makes me wonder how it sounds.

Unlike the rest of the V-series cheapos(>200), it's EL34 based.

I like blue voodoos and upscale V50FX(buds have 'em), so I'd love to see how this one sounds.

i love them i had a vintage club 50 with a 4x10 cab that i loved... so i can only imagen this monstar!

The club series were decent amps but this entire V-series are very cheaply made and I'm sorry to say that it's just a big pile of cheapo parts for $800! You can do MUCH better for the money if you dont need to see and haul around a big pile of crap! Just my $.02 .](*,) You can get a seriously well made combo amp used for $800.

The cabs are priced better than emptys' date=' and you can flip the speakers toward your choice of new ones. The trannies are the biggest design flaw, and at the price, you can put in mercurys.[/quote']

OK ....and MM Iron for a 100 watter is $225 ish for a plexi clone OT and another $27 for a choke and thats not even including a good PT or shipping....then there are 8 x12 inch speakers to replace with something decent $80-$120 a pop...sounds like a loser to me!#-o You are into boutique amp money for a crate POS stack at that point. If it seems too good to be true....IT IS!

Crate has a reputation for poor reliability. You can cut costs by using cheap, low cost transformers and sockets and build a tube amp or you can build in reliability by using top quality sockets and heavy, well built transformers, and good quality circuit boards with heavy, gold plated runs . The heat generated by tubes in a box will kill marginal components.

I overheard a player recently who brought back his new Crate half stack. He and the store owner had a conversation that included "It sounded great for the first couple of sets, then it died."

OTOH, I used a Crate 100W solid state power amp to run monitors at church for about 5 years with no problems. It weighs about twice as much as its size would indicate and is obviously made well.

Archived