Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Factory 2nd??

eNo

So I really want one of the these Nick Valensi Riviera's... not a bad price from what I've seen. But I see some people selling Epiphone Factory 2nd's for $200-$300 less. They all claim there are no cosmetic flaws, and they look top grade, and they can't see anything wrong, and they sound great. So my question is... What makes a guitar a Factory 2nd?? I can understand finish flaws or whatever... or warranty eletronics work that was fixed. One I saw didn't have the right pickguard or truss rod cover. So should I seriously consider one of these... or just pay the extra $$ and get a 1st??

I've always lived by the old saying you get what you pay for... so I'm a bit wary.

I can only speak based in what I own and I my Dot is a 2nd. I've searched and inspected the entire guitar and I found maybe one area that could possibly be the flaw and it is in the finish. Around the head of the guitar on the corner edges there appears to be an undercoat showing through. In order to see it you have to 1) search for it, and 2) get really, really close. There might be a slight flaw in the binding, but again you have to search for it.

My feeling is if the tone and playability isn't compromised in anyway, I could care less about such flaws. I would buy a guitar that is heavily discounted if it had a gouge across the back. If I was buying it for display, I would be concerned, but I never bought one for display. Guitars are made to play.

I was under the impression that 2nd were always finish type flaws and had nothing to do with performance unless it was spelled out. Personally I don't think a guitar that did not perform would knowingly be released from the factory or warehouse, but I could be wrong.

Where are you finding these guitars so heavily discounted?

True factory seconds sold through authorized Epi dealers are fully covered under the factory warranty. Other seconds and refurbs, such as those sold on eBay, will not be covered, although I've heard many reports of those being some good guitars, too. The general eBay cautions remain, regardless of what you're buying.

So I really want one of the these Nick Valensi Riviera's... not a bad price from what I've seen. But I see some people selling Epiphone Factory 2nd's for $200-$300 less. They all claim there are no cosmetic flaws' date=' and they look top grade, and they can't see anything wrong, and they sound great. So my question is... What makes a guitar a Factory 2nd?? I can understand finish flaws or whatever... or warranty eletronics work that was fixed. One I saw didn't have the right pickguard or truss rod cover. So should I seriously consider one of these... or just pay the extra $$ and get a 1st??

I've always lived by the old saying you get what you pay for... so I'm a bit wary.[/quote']

My B-stock Sheraton has a minor wave in the finish, only visible because the guitar is ebony. That's it. You have to be looking for it to see it.

My Dot is a 2nd and has only a couple of very minor, and I mean minor, blemishes. They are on the side of the neck and I can't really notice them when I'm playing. I got mine from MF for $250, one of the best deals I have ever gotten on a guitar.

My problem with the Ebay 2nds is simply the price. By the time you add the shipping to the guitar, for a couple of bucks more you could get one that's not a 2nd. If you get one from MF you have 45 days to check it out.

If MF had another 2nd that I was already planning to buy, I would have no problem buying it.

While shopping around for my new guitar, I looked at several 2nds/B-stocks at my local store. As far as I could tell, most of the blemishes were in the finish and so minor I wouldn't have seen them, had my salesperson not pointed them out to me.

The ONLY thing that kept me from buying the exact same guitar I have now in a B-stock is plain ol' stupid male pride. The 2nds/B-stocks have "2nd" stamped into the wood on the back of the headstock. It is a minor thing really. If you can live with that, I would say go for it and save some money. Being that this was my very first guitar ever, I just didn't want any sort of blemish/stamp/note/thing to lessen or cheapen the guitar in MY eyes. Again, plain ol' stupid male pride. Future guitars for me... I won't hesitate in the least to buy a B-stock from an authorized or reputable dealer.

For a guitar like the Nick Valensi model that you might keep for many' date=' many years I would spend the extra money and get a new one. [/quote']

I don't know if I would apply that logic. If I'm keeping it and have no plans for resale, then I don't care about the 2nd stamped on the back of the headstock. If I know I'm going to resell it, then I would have concerns about the 2nd being stamped on it.

I would also determine my decision on the amount of the discount and what guitar I was buying. If I was buying high end (over $2,500) I might not go for a second unless it was something like 50% or more knocked off.

A good savings on a guitar that doesn't have sound/tone compromised, I would have to give a 2nd some serious consideration.

And when I post pics, I just won't show a shot of the back of the headstock.

Archived