Gibson Brands Forums

Gary Moore

MMeazey

Hi i was wondering what pickups gary moore uses? i know he uses burst buckers but what ones in what position?

Here's some info on the Gary Moore signature series..

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Gibson/PR/Gary-Moore.html

EDIT: As to which BBs are in the neck....Gibson won't advertise that for obvious

reasons..But you can try some combos:

ie: BB1 rythmn BB2 treble or BB2 rythmn BB3 treble

Here's some info on these as well..

http://www.musiciansnews.com/guitars/34/gibson_burstbucker_1_pickup_nickel.shtml

I have a video of his '91 concert at Montreux' date=' and a closeup of the LP he was

using at the time showed a 'silkscreened "PJ Maxx"

(either a 210 or an active version), but these p_ups are no longer made.

From my book "the early years of the Les Paul legacy", the famous Peter

Green 59 LP Burst had [b']Gibson pafs[/b]. Rumour has it that the neck humbucker

had the bar magnet flipped over end for end,(accidently or on purpose),

reversing the phase on the N/S coils and producing that unique out of phase sound.

BTW; The rumoured asking price for that Peter Green/Gary Moore Burst LP

was around $2M!

Seems a bit excessive as LP owners can also do the magnet flip thing

or simply switch the phases of the coils on a 4 wire p_up.

But this is one of the famous 59's after all with the long neck tenons and it

has been played by a couple of famous artists, so it falls into

the realm of "holy grail" for some with that kind of serious coin.

The Peter Green mod is used by a lot of people' date=' including our own Ricochet. It was Gary Moores main axe for a while. Stan.[/quote']

I tried that mod on an original Epiphone neck p_up that I replaced with vintage 59s.

Other than the out of phase tone, not that much noticible difference (IMO),

but I'm not going through stacked Marshalls for those l-o-n-g +20 second sustained notes either.

It's an interesting concept..and I suppose speaking from a vintage standpoint when pretty much

most of the p_ups were still 2 wire, it might have contributed to a "signature sound",

but these days, with 4 wire p_ups and push pull switches, you can achieve pretty much

the same thing by pulling up on a tone knob.

Of course with the PG mod each humbucker is still sounding the same on it's own. Only with the switch in the middle (both pickups on) do you get the PG sound.

I think the Gary Moore signature came with BB2 and BB3s. I seem to recall GM used the waxpotted BBs later on, tho not sure.

The Burstbucker Pros are the waxpotted alnico5 versions of the BB1 and BB2.

• 3 months later...

Burstbucker pickups 1,2 and 3 are basically just different levels of output. Strings are naturally louder at the middle, so you need a higher output pup at the bridge position to balance the volume between the 2 pups. Burstbucker 1, 2 and 3 are designed to be used in pairs of either #1 plus #2, or #2 plus #3.

Burstbucker Pro are slightly warmer sounding due to different magnets (alnico 5 instead of alnico 2). I understand they are also fully wax potted to reduce microphonic feedback. Given the amount of high gain stuff he plays, I'd be very surprised if Gary Moore doesn't used wax potted pups.

GM has used several different pups/guitars over the years. If you're trying to recreate his tone and don't have a good all-tube amp, the amp will actually be more important than changing pups. You could spend over £200 on a pair of burstbuckers and still not get that tone. There also lots of other aftermarket pups with very similar performance, cheaper than burstbuckers.

Can't speak for the TSL, but my DSL is very nice sounding, get lots of compliments on it.

I also have my pickups out of phase, it gives an interesting sound...thinner, brighter, with a bit of squawk...sounds great and adds variety to my tones. I use it for stuff that would normally say "hey u need a strat to play this"

The TSL has been fine. The Clean channel is not as good as say a Fender Twin for very clean tones, but much better than the cheaper Marshall models, perhaps because of the speakers. I like a slight edge of distortion even on the clean channel, and it gives me that. I use one of the crunch channels at rythm guitar level and the other at high gain solo level. The spring reverb is pretty good, and its good to have different reverb settings for clean and crunch channels. All in all not as good as a Fender Twin, but the TSL is smaller, lighter and cheaper. I have never needed to mike it up or put it through a PA. I play classic rock :

http://www.highmileagerock.com/song_list_

and it gives me those sounds without needing pedals most of the time. Played over 40 gigs with it last year, only problem was a broken lead on the reverb when I dropped it once.

As far as aftermarket pups go, IMHO the Seymour Duncans are every bit as good as Gibsons but are a similar price. Kent Armstrong are pretty good and slightly cheaper. My recommendation would be to keep an eye out on e bay if you're not in a rush. I've got lucky a couple of times and got 2 pairs of burstbuckers secondhand for £100 a pair, from USA sellers. They're over £100 each new in UK.

I think, If you got the money, louk at the marshall ''bluesbreaker'' a 18 watts amp and the ''burstbucker'' 2&3, #2 at the neck and #3 at the bridge, flip the magnet of the #2 burstbucker 180 degres, turn the amp at 10 and you will get exactly the sound you're looking for. And if it's too loud install a power brake to your amp and you be able to play everywhere you want. for pedal board, you will need a ts-808 ibanez tube screamer and a marshall gov'nor pedals.

and like I told you you will have exaclty the sound and tone you want.

Archived