Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Covers on my EP LP Special II

killahxxx

Hello there :)

I recently purchased this ebony black beauty from thomann.de:

picture3kc1.png

An Epiphone Les Paul Special II.

I'd like to install some pickup covers on it, but since I am quite an adept in the field of the guitar and it's technique, I'd like to know it's possible for me to "just" buy some and "just" attach them to my pickups. How do I attach them? Glue them on? [-X

I know my pickups are humbuckers, but do these kind of humbuckers have a more specific name?

Sincerely,

TM

Gibson sells pickup covers in a number of different finishes (gold, nickel, and chrome). From what I see on your LP, you'll need two covers with neck spacing. What you need to do is solder them to the bottom plates of your pickups, but very carefully as the solder could get on the coils and really screw things up.

you wont want gibsons on an epi.. gibsons are not metric sized..

you'll need metric sized.

the special II are most likely ceramic magnets, metric sized, and whatever name or designation they have will be pretty much unimportant.

material, type and ohms output are the important parts.

you can measure the output with an ohmeter, or mulitmeter.

a bit of solder between the base and the cover will do it.. and don't let it drip onto the coils, which will melt the coating and short them out.

wdmusic.com and allparts.com will have covers, I haven't looked in a while but you will need metric so don't choose wrongly there or the holes for the screws on top wont line up.

I've got some covers here, I think. I'll take a look and see if they are metric or not and try to find a part no. for ya.

May not have 'em though. I've got a mess of stuff, and I just 'think' there are some covers in there.

you can get gold, black, chrome or nickel.

TWANG

Gibson sells pickup covers in a number of different finishes (gold' date=' nickel, and chrome).[/quote']

I've contacted my guitar vendor (thomann.de), and they informed me that These covers wasn't compatible with my EP LP.

From what I see on your LP' date=' you'll need two covers with neck spacing. What you need to do is solder them to the bottom plates of your pickups, but very carefully as the solder could get on the coils and really screw things up.[/quote']

Neck spacing, eh? So the covers need to have extra neck spacing. Do you think that these pickup-covers (thanks to TWANG for the link) will do the trick? Also, thanks for letting me know about where not to drip the solder :^o

you'll need metric sized.

How do I know if the covers I am buying have the right measure?

Also how do I measure my own pickup's size?

the special II are most likely ceramic magnets' date=' metric sized, and whatever name or designation they have will be pretty much unimportant.

material, type and ohms output are the important parts.

you can measure the output with an ohmeter, or mulitmeter.

[/quote']

OK, thanks :)

wdmusic.com and allparts.com will have covers' date=' I haven't looked in a while but you will need metric so don't choose wrongly there or the holes for the screws on top wont line up.

[/quote']

Thanks for those links, a lot of variety in there... The thing is when you buy stuff over the internet, it's just so hard to know if it's the right stuff :P But I'll take the risk though, thanks.

I've got some covers here' date=' I think. I'll take a look and see if they are metric or not and try to find a part no. for ya.

May not have 'em though. I've got a mess of stuff, and I just 'think' there are some covers in there.[/quote']

I would appreciate this a lot, my friend :D

Here is a closer view of my pickups - the red dots are something I edited in, and signifies where the solder is going to be.

eplppickupsgm8.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help you guys :D

Edit: I measure the distance between my 1st and 6th pole to 54mm.

You need to measure from the heart of the poles. They don't sell 54mm polespaced covers. I assume you measured the outer distance from the poles? 54 Mm would equal a 50mm spaced cover.

You need to measure from the heart of the poles. They don't sell 54mm polespaced covers. I assume you measured the outer distance from the poles? 54 Mm would equal a 50mm spaced cover.

Oh' date=' form the heart :D didn't know, sorry :P

Yup, form the heart it's exactly 50mm :)

So, which ones should I buy then?

Store link #1

Store link #2

How do I convert from millimeters to inches?

Are you serious ???!!!??? LOL .....

but' date=' imho, I'd leave the pickups uncovered, unless yer fixin' to put black covers on. [/quote']

Well that was pretty harsh. Sorry not all of us remember our conversion factors. Seems like your last few posts haven't been very helpful to anyone but yourself.

As for the conversion, here is a link to a Millimeters to Inches calculator:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm

Looks like 50mm = 1.96850 inches. (Could anyone else here have done that exactly without a calculator?)

Also, put whatever color/finish pickup covers you want. It's your guitar, customize it how you want it.

Archived