Gibson Brands Forums

Country music Guitar?

BlueLesPaul2006

Pawn shop here in town has one of the double pickup melody makers new in the box for $450, couple weeks ago when I was in noising around he had taken it out and sat it in the window. At least it isn't a sunny window or wouldn't take long for it not to be worth anything. If I had the money, would save the poor thing.

Capt

There was a time (only last year) when the singles were $350 and the doubles were $400...

Now the singles are over $400 and the doubles are discontinued.

House of Guitars has some that have been sitting in the same place for nearly two years. I wouldn't mind picking up a double, if I could get it for $400 or so. They bought them long enough ago that it shouldn't be too hard.

Most of the recommendations given are great and any guitar equipped with SC's offer more quack and twang.

IMO, most country sound also has a great deal to do with playing technique. Attack, pull offs, bends, harmonics, and generally greater use of dual note bends and two or three finger picking styles are critical.

Yeah' date=' "Country," "Blues" or anything else, is really a musical style, or technique. Any guitar is capable of

producing those sounds, if needed/wanted. It's (as always) the players that will make or break it.

CB[/quote']

I agree that it is mostly the way that you play. however, I think a telecaster will naturally sound twangier than my Les Paul

There are plenty of good country guitars but only one sounds like a tele and that would be a tele. That said, there have been several different neck shapes over the years. The current version is called a 'modern c-shaped' neck that I think is ok but a little fat for my tastes. The style they used in the '90's was quite a bit different. The only description I've ever seen used for it was the 'fast action' neck. It was a d-shaped neck that was quite thin and very, very comfortable. There has also been the 'hard V' and 'soft V' shapes (I don't like either one).

Warmouth & others sell lots of 'stand-alone' necks for teles. I'm sure they have profiles other than the 'modern c-shaped' neck. Pawn shops are another good source as you can get Squiers and other models dirt cheap and the necks can be very easily installed on your tele as they are all bolt-ons.

Archived