Gibson Brands Forums

Why I love...Firebirds

leicester35

Guess I'm in a philosophical mood this afternoon, having spent all last night and this morning working on a paper for a truly horrific statistics class I'm taking at the moment. Which is all by the by...

How many people here share my love affair with the Gibson Firebird? Of all the guitar models out there, this thing has always intrigued me. But I discovered that even in its heyday it was never that popular.

I found this really interesting page on the web about Firebirds: http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/Firebird.php

Which shows some fascinating statistics (oh no, statistics again) - anyway - look at how many Firebirds sold compared to SGs in the '60s...

Year; F/bird; SG

1963; 434; 5797

1964; 2434; 7419

1965; 2283; 8871

1966; 2735; 5517

1967; 779; 4005

1968; 271; 3680

1969; 83; 6934

I suppose that Firebirds have always been expensive, which explains the difference...and the SG was Gibson's guitar of the 1960s...still...rare 'birds indeed.

I have had the pleasure of playing a few Gibson Firebirds of various vintages, but the never the privilege of owning one. They do have a unique sound - some people say they have a "piano" tone, and I can see where that idea comes from. Also as slide guitars, I (personally) can think of nothing better.

I have had Epiphone Firebirds, but they've never been that great. Don't get me wrong, they can be nice guitars - but they are really just nice Firebird-shaped guitars, rather than good Firebirds. It's the set necks (rather than through necks) and (lately) the full humbuckers that kill it. The same was true of the recent Gibson Firebird Studio...

One day I'm going to go nuts...save up, maybe sell a couple of guitars and just go and buy one of these babies before they become even more expensive....

273921.jpg

Basically £1200 worth of guitar...expensive but not crazy money. An accessible 'dream' guitar. One day....

I had an epiphone firebird with mini humbuckers. It was beautiful and I love epi' date=' but it sounded like crap![/quote']

I can relate to that. This Firebird fetish of mine is a long-standing one. I bought an Epiphone Firebird V from my favourite guitar shop in Leicester in the early 90s. It was black, had mini-hums, a flashy "crafted in Korea for Epiphone, Nashville, USA" plate on the back of the (bolt-on neck), and it was absolutely bloody beautiful. It was £220, a fair few quid for a 19 year old college student back in them days. The salesman was a nice guy..."Are you sure you really want this, kid? Oh well, OK then...(sigh) I'll do you a deal on a bass case for it..."

The other guitarist in my then band played it that night at practice. He was still laughing in the pub 4 hours later. In fact, he still sometimes laughs about it 16 years later.

A couple of days after buying the 'bird I started using my Yamaha Pacifica again. The Firebird stood propped up in the corner of my bedroom. I used to stare at it a lot. Then I flogged it to some other wally. It was beautiful, but it was complete sh*te.

I love the one's with thin necks. However, I certainly understand why others don't like them.

First, they may be the only guitar that makes an LP feel light.

Second, the 'fat-necked' versions have the fattest neck I've ever tried to wrap my hand around.

Third, reading about a '9-ply' neck doesn't exactly light one's fire.

Fourth, they're hard to play sitting down, they're hard to set down on a stand, & it's damn hard to find a case for them.

That said, I would love to own a Firebird V with a thin neck. Love those minis! However, I don't want either the Gibson Firebird Studio nor the Epi Firebird since I'd want the minis and the neck-through construction.

I almost bought a Gibby Firebird Studio until Spudboy pointed out that they are not 'neck-through'.

Anybody know what happened to Spud?

I've played exactly 2 Firebirds in the last 5 years. The first, a Custom Shop Firebird V at GC in Hollywood, CA., was without a doubt the heaviest guitar with the fattest neck I've ever played in my life. The 2nd, a new V I played at Chicago Music Exchange, was heavier than any of my LPs.

I bought a used 2002 firebird V in great condition last year for 1299$. They are really nice deluxe guitars for a great price. Why so cheap used? I don't know but they sure are nice. Stan.MVC-011F-1.jpg

WWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Theres's that stunning Paul Allender Guitar again. Got...To...Fight...GAS...must.......not......get GAS.

Firebirds truly are one of the sexiest guitar models ever though IMO. I felt bad selling mine cuz I thought it would look really good as a wall ornament, but unfortunately that wasn't good enough. I was thinking about checking out the new firebirds with the humbucks and considering that or an SG.

Hi' date=' I am in leicester as well, I wonder which guitar shop you ment, as it humbucker ?

I like the firebird, lovely guitar, I have now added it to me wishlist after reading this thread, although I might buy the Gibson model[/quote']

Hey stereohigh,

Actually, it came from the 'Rock House' on Narborough Road. Cracking little shop. He used to sell all sorts, but then he became mainly a Fender dealer. Really friendly, knowledgeable staff - and cheaper than Sheehans. Been a while since I was down that way as I'm in London these days - but I hope the shop is still there. You should check it out:

http://www.leicestermusicscene.co.uk/services.htm

Archived