Gibson Brands Forums

thought i'd share this mess

rhcpfan2011

It started off as a usual little jam session, me getting ready to play guitar had my strap on my guitar everything normal, until i went to put the strap over my shoulder and the top of the strap comes off sending beloved Les Paul straight to the floor, popping strings and degluing the nut as well as cracking both sides of the head

heres some pics.

untitled.jpg

guitar3.jpg

guitar2.jpg

guitar4.jpg

Outa curiosity tell me how you would fix it

I can't/won't cus im horrible at fixing things, somehow a wiz at breaking them #-o

I will talk to some places and hopefully have it shipped off this week

i know im hurting alot from it

Tough break - sorry to hear it.#-o

Take heart though. There are some famous guitars/guitarists who swear that their glued-back headstocks improved the tone of their instruments. I've done an acoustic (nothing pretty - but plays great) but would recommend letting a pro put you right again.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

yea ive heard about regluing helps it out, i hope that it does work being better. If it ends up costing over 300.00 to fix it im gonna get some of my family who are decent at woodworking to try and gently pry the head off and re-glue it.

A leather lacing conjunction im not so sure i follow what you mean by that

yea ive heard about regluing helps it out' date=' i hope that it does work being better. If it ends up costing over 300.00 to fix it im gonna get some of my family who are decent at woodworking to try and gently pry the head off and re-glue it.

A leather lacing conjunction im not so sure i follow what you mean by that[/quote']

I'm sure by now hearing everyone tell you to use strap locks starts to sound like a pregnant girl being told how effective others have found various means of contraception...it's a little late. Now, I am not an expert but I will say that I've seen a lot worse damage repaired with relative ease. Completely as a guess I'd say you're looking at around $150 from a a competent luthier/repair person but I'd also say that someone with wood working skills could also fix it. The biggest issue is the cosmetic one after the repair. It's difficult to tidy up the finish to make it an "invisible" fix...especially with the polyurethane finishes used on Epiphones. The upside is that it's a solid color which are easier to match and hide than transparent finishes.

I'm not exactly sure how a luthier would approach that particular repair. I've seen some where the neck is separated completely from the headstock and repaired with splints. Yours though could be as easy as injecting glue into the crack and clamping it. As I said. It doesn't look like a difficult (or extremely expensive) repair and the issue will ultimately be a cosmetic one but as was earlier stated, there's a lot of guitars out there with headstock repairs that are as structurally sound as one that's never been damaged. Good luck.

Nelson

A leather lacing conjunction I'm not so sure i follow what you mean by that

The guitar straps in 70's had a extra hole where you could lace the strap button, then run the lacing through the guitar strap as an additional means of security... I still use this technique as a safeguard, and it hasn't failed me once.

For 150 dollars i think i would get it repaired, i hope the cosmetic damage isnt to noticeable as the guitar is in excellent condition no scratches or dents at all besides this. I try to take care of my les paul and my bass but this was just one of those rare happenings i guess. Anywho anyone know if the lifetime warranty will cover this? what the hell does that warranty cover anyway?

Ahh i see what you mean by the strap my grandfather has one on his old 50's esquire(man thats a cool guitar)

For 150 dollars i think i would get it repaired' date=' i hope the cosmetic damage isnt to noticeable as the guitar is in excellent condition no scratches or dents at all besides this. I try to take care of my les paul and my bass but this was just one of those rare happenings i guess. Anywho anyone know if the lifetime warranty will cover this? what the hell does that warranty cover anyway?

Ahh i see what you mean by the strap my grandfather has one on his old 50's esquire(man thats a cool guitar)

[/quote']

Good luck with your guitar and no...your Epiphone warranty won't cover such damage...in fact, warranties aren't really there to protect the consumer but actually to limit the amount of responsibility a manufacturer has to stand behind its products. There's this thing called "reasonable expectation of performance" which is..when you buy something there's a reasonable expectation of how long and to what degree something is going to be functional. Without "warranties" this is an open-ended proposition. The warranty expresses how much and for how long the company is liable for that reasonable expectation of performance and under what conditions...and damage is almost always an exclusionary condition to a warranty as are cosmetic and finish issues. again, good luck. It probably won't be as bad as you think.

Nelson

Good luck with your guitar and no...your Epiphone warranty won't cover such damage...in fact' date=' warranties aren't really there to protect the consumer but actually to limit the amount of responsibility a manufacturer has to stand behind its products. Nelson[/quote']

Nelson; I agree with what you are saying in general about the warranty. No warranty covers

user abuse..and a guitar dropping on it's head is classified as that..even if it's an

unfortunate situation of the strap coming loose. In fact, the warranty only covers

"defects in workmanship" such as neck/heel joint coming loose on a new guitar or the

MOT markers/frets popping up...which is very rare.

The cost of returning the guitar is very expensive, so in most cases, if you bought the

guitar from an authorized Epiphone dealer, (if they have competent staff)

is responsible for either doing the repairs on behalf of Gibson/Epiphone,

or in rare cases where the value of the guitar warrants it, (ie; L5 etc);

returning it to an authorized Gibson/Epiphone repair depot.

Shipping on such repairs are very expensive these days due to insurance.

The insured shipping charges are generally paid by the dealer or customer one way

and the authorized repair depot the other way..at least it was in the good old days.

So as far as the Lifetime Warranty against defects in factory workmanship.....

..it works better if you look after your instrument with a lot of TLC,

and are willing to replace things like pots, jacks, switches, tuners (which can

be considered wear and tear items), as well as fix any cracks or breaks that you caused yourself.

I'm not exactly sure how a luthier would approach that particular repair. I've seen some where the neck is separated completely from the headstock and repaired with splints. Yours though could be as easy as injecting glue into the crack and clamping it. As I said. It doesn't look like a difficult (or extremely expensive) repair and the issue will ultimately be a cosmetic one but as was earlier stated' date=' there's a lot of guitars out there with headstock repairs that are as structurally sound as one that's never been damaged. Good luck.

Nelson[/quote']

I'm not a luthier (but I would like to play one on TV someday:-" ), but if it was mine, I would

use a "tiny bit" of clamping force on the neck and headstock to spread the crack

apart enough that you can inject some "slow cure" epoxy into it, and then

squeeze the neck/headstock area with clamps and a wooden neck jig that

has a neck profile cutout to fit around the neck and a flat surface for the clamp

to anchor against on the rounded neck.

Other wise you might end up with a "flat spot" on the neck,

because of the compression of the soft mahogany by the clamping forces.

The main issue here is how far into the crack the glue can be injected.

You can only supply so much pressure from a syringe that is designed for glue

to squeeze it into the recesses of the crack.

Squeezing the cracked area with clamps will allow some of the glue to squeeze into

the tight spots, but it's mostly the surface areas of the crack that will be the strongest

(once the epoxy cures) in these kinds of breaks. The reason, I suggest "slow cure"

is the amount of time you have to get everything right before the glue starts to

set up and you're still not ready to apply final clamping pressure.

If your local luthier' wants an arm and a leg to repair it, take it to your local gunsmith, who is probably VERY experienced at repairing broken/cracked wood(gunstocks break every hunting season).

His repair would most likely be high strength glue, and internal brass pins for extra support.

I used to be a "smith", so, thats just 1 idea for ya.

If your local luthier' wants an arm and a leg to repair it' date=' take it to your local gunsmith, who is probably VERY experienced at repairing broken/cracked wood(gunstocks break every hunting season).

His repair would most likely be high strength glue, and internal brass pins for extra support.

[/quote']

Good idea..but is he experienced repairing "axe handles"? =D>

LOL axe handles........

actually, the point that is broken most often, and that I personally repaired for more customers than any other

is the "wrist" of the stock, which is the smallest section directly behind the trigger.

often, the wrist is hollow, to accomodate a long "thru-bolt" or the rear of the trigger housing.

the reason I suggested this, is because I very succsessfully repaired a broken headstock on an SG

with wood epoxy and brass pins.

Archived