Gibson Brands Forums

How often do you change your strings

Guest alanhindle

I don't mind string

changes' date=' except on my Rickenbacker 12-strings! Now THAT is a "Pain!!"

CB[/quote']

that's why I refuse to get a 12 string. Everyone tells me that's what I need to add to the group, but despite the nice sound, I don't want the hassle.

Signed,

Lazy Guitarist

Also....i change my strings ever 6-8 weeks...or when they just start to look like crap...i use a lil tool called the "string cleaner". Its a lil clamp thing with a soft yellow cloth on the inside...cleans both side of the stings and cleans them well :-

I think I have to chime in here. And I know nobody will agree with me on this. I just changed the strings on two of my guitars. My 1968 Gibson SG and 1965 Epi Coronet. The last time they had new strings on was 1998. I know the date cos I write it on a string packet and leave it in the case. I use a custom string set up of .07, .09, .12, .18, .24 and .30. So I have to buy them individually. Except for the .07 strings which I buy as a 10 pack cos they don`t always

have them in stock. I always wipe my strings clean after playing them. They don`t lose brightness.

They stay in tune. Except for initial set up where they are stretched for a few days then dialed in

with the tuner.

Guest alanhindle
I think I have to chime in here. And I know nobody will agree with me on this. I just changed the strings on two of my guitars. My 1968 Gibson SG and 1965 Epi Coronet. The last time they had new strings on was 1998. I know the date cos I write it on a string packet and leave it in the case. I use a custom string set up of .07' date=' .09, .12, .18, .24 and .30. So I have to buy them individually. Except for the .07 strings which I buy as a 10 pack cos they don`t always

have them in stock. I always wipe my strings clean after playing them. They don`t lose brightness.

They stay in tune. Except for initial set up where they are stretched for a few days then dialed in

with the tuner. [/quote']

Don't tell me- You work for NASA and your two guitars are kept in permanent orbit in the vacuum of space. Watch out for that flying toolbag next time you play!

Seriously, I don't feel half as guilty for waiting a year to change mine.

Also, I can beat you. I hadn't changed the strings on my Yamaha for about 15 years, although I didn't play it during that time.

PS. Did you notice much difference after changing your strings? There was a massive difference when I changed mine on my LP and SG; and particularly on my Yamaha.

Alan

I was going to start a new thread, but - do we really need another "string" thread?

Anyway, a couple of months ago I purchased a used Wildkat and the owner said he just replaced strings with 11's (I don't recall what brand).

Well, not wanting to mess around with the Bigsby, I chose (read: lazy) not to change strings. Today being a day off, I decided to replace the strings with .011 - .049 D'Addario Nickel Wound. It's the only guitar I have strung with 11's and I liked them and figured no reason to change, besides with 11's I no longer have girlie man hands.

Anyway, the guitar is sweeter sounding than before and I imagine in a couple of days when they stretch naturally (I always break them when I hand stretch) it will sound even better.

So, for now the Wildkat is my favorite guitar, but followed extremely closely by the Dot. I'm sure the Dot will replace it's rightful spot at the head of the group, but for now the Wildkat is kicking @$$.

Archived