Gibson Brands Forums

Any Firebird owners?

bobbyswamp

I just got this a couple weeks ago. She's an '05 Korean made. I had tried a similar model at GC Hollywood awhile back and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was really impressed with the tone and feel. Anyway, I have really fallen for this guitar. Never owned a mini-humbuckered axe. At first, I was thrown by the control knobs because I didn't notice how they were labeled. But I like the fact that I can blend the middle pickup in from all three toggle positions. The action was a little high and intonation off just a bit, but I tweaked all that. I know Johnny Winter nails the blues with a Gibson model, but I think this guitar is versatile enough for any style.

dscn7896acb0.jpgdscn7908ut2.jpgdscn7911azw9.jpg

Hi,

I used to own a MIK, 2 chrome mini-hb pup model. Unfortunately, it had a bolt-on neck which looked like cheap faux black lacquer furniture. I also had major problems with low E string buzz. In spite of that, it was very attractive (sexy) and sounded great, something like a gutsy Tele. Too bad it wasn't set-neck.

I had the same type as bluesman, or so it sounds. It was really sexy, but was horrible sounding IMO. Maybe there was something wrong with it, but it had no tone or sustain and sounded really glassy but ugly. I sold it for $160 and almost felt sorry for the buyer... but different folks, different strokes.

Hi' date='

I used to own a MIK, 2 chrome mini-hb pup model. Unfortunately, it had a bolt-on neck which looked like cheap faux black lacquer furniture. I also had major problems with low E string buzz. In spite of that, it was very attractive (sexy) and sounded great, something like a gutsy Tele. Too bad it wasn't set-neck.[/quote']

Yeah, I've seen the bolt-ons at eBay now and then, and wondered if those things are workable. Anyway, I love the pic of your '56 Gold Top, man. That's my next quest!

I had the same type as bluesman' date=' or so it sounds. It was really sexy, but was horrible sounding IMO. Maybe there was something wrong with it, but it had no tone or sustain and sounded really glassy but ugly. I sold it for $160 and almost felt sorry for the buyer... but different folks, different strokes. [/quote']

They do have a great look. To me, mine looks like it came out of the Civil War era, or something. I guess its all the gold hardware and the tremelo...

Yeah' date=' I've seen the bolt-ons at eBay now and then, and wondered if those things are workable. Anyway, I love the pic of your '56 Gold Top, man. That's my next quest![/quote']

Thankya. Thankya very much.

I think that the U-shaped Bigsby and the pickguard-mounted master volume have been very useful mod's, especially when I do little "country" type bends and pulls (a lot!). My Goldtop is MIK and non weight-relieved. It also has a creme pickguard, matching the P90 covers (nice!). I believe that the newer MIC Goldtops are chambered (a lot lighter) and have white pickguards (don't match the pup covers). Although they are nice guitars, the MIC Goldtops don't quite feel like "real" Gibsons, whereas mine has the same "vibe" (and weight) as the LP Deluxe I owned in 1975.

P.S.: Memps1978 No offense intended re: pickguard, etc. - your GT is beautiful! Also, for those who think that the creme P90's are ugly, that's true! However, that's the "vintage vibe"! Besides, most people that I know of who have played P90's prefer them over HB's any day...

Anyone else have comments on LP '56 Goldtops?

I've got one of the Studios. I think I bought it in 05. It's basically a G400 in a Firebird body. Love the Steinberger tuners. To be honest...it's on my list of 5 guitars that I'm gonna try to sell this winter. Not because I don't like it...I just have way too much stuff that goes totally unused. I'd make someone a good deal on it.

I don't have too many posts here, but had a couple hundred or so on the board before it changed over. If anyone is interested...give me a shout.

I had a Gibby similar to that (only in cherry) in 1964 that was a loaner while I waited a year for my 335 to arrive. It sounded and played fine, but I never warmed up to the looks or shape of it. Firebirds seem to do better with people who play they them low (as in long straps). It felt funny tucked under my right arm.

Guest alanhindle
I just got this a couple weeks ago. She's an '05 Korean made. I had tried a similar model at GC Hollywood awhile back and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was really impressed with the tone and feel. Anyway' date=' I have really fallen for this guitar. Never owned a mini-humbuckered axe. At first, I was thrown by the control knobs because I didn't notice how they were labeled. But I like the fact that I can blend the middle pickup in from all three toggle positions. The action was a little high and intonation off just a bit, but I tweaked all that. I know Johnny Winter nails the blues with a Gibson model, but I think this guitar is versatile enough for any style.

[img']http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9688/dscn7896acb0.jpg[/img] dscn7908ut2.jpgdscn7911azw9.jpg

That is a very fine looking guitar indeed. You are very lucky to have found such a beaut.

Why on earth did they stop making those? It could sell purely on its looks, nevermind anything else.

Thankya. Thankya very much.

I think that the U-shaped Bigsby and the pickguard-mounted master volume have been very useful mod's' date=' especially when I do little "country" type bends and pulls (a lot!). My Goldtop is MIK and non weight-relieved. It also has a creme pickguard, matching the P90 covers (nice!). I believe that the newer MIC Goldtops are chambered (a lot lighter) and have white pickguards (don't match the pup covers). Although they are nice guitars, the MIC Goldtops don't quite feel like "real" Gibsons, whereas mine has the same "vibe" (and weight) as the LP Deluxe I owned in 1975.

[b']P.S.: Memps1978[/b] No offense intended re: pickguard, etc. - your GT is beautiful! Also, for those who think that the creme P90's are ugly, that's true! However, that's the "vintage vibe"! Besides, most people that I know of who have played P90's prefer them over HB's any day...

Anyone else have comments on LP '56 Goldtops?

I think the P90's are great looking on a Goldtop Paul. And I'm jonesin' for an Epi '56 because of that tone they give that you mention is much different from the HB's. Anyway, I would prefer the heavier weighted version, too. Again, great lookin' guitar!

I had a Gibby similar to that (only in cherry) in 1964 that was a loaner while I waited a year for my 335 to arrive. It sounded and played fine' date=' but I never warmed up to the looks or shape of it. Firebirds seem to do better with people who play they them low (as in long straps). It felt funny tucked under my right arm.[/quote']

Bro, a '64 Gibby?! Nice...

Back in November 1965 I saw the Stones live and Keith and Brian were playing the original versions of this. Always thought that they were really cool guitars if more than a little awkward. The Firebird is an unusual guitar and not played a lot but it has had a few promoters: Johnny Winters, Dave Mason, Steven Stills, Kai Daniels to name a few. Now if Gibson could have gotten one into George Harrison's hands ...

I just got this a couple weeks ago. She's an '05 Korean made. I had tried a similar model at GC Hollywood awhile back and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was really impressed with the tone and feel. Anyway' date=' I have really fallen for this guitar. Never owned a mini-humbuckered axe. At first, I was thrown by the control knobs because I didn't notice how they were labeled. But I like the fact that I can blend the middle pickup in from all three toggle positions. The action was a little high and intonation off just a bit, but I tweaked all that. I know Johnny Winter nails the blues with a Gibson model, but I think this guitar is versatile enough for any style.

[img']http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9688/dscn7896acb0.jpg[/img] dscn7908ut2.jpgdscn7911azw9.jpg

Wow,

Bobbyswamp!

I never saw this until today.

Very Nice Firebird!

How's the tuning stability with the tremelo Bobbyswamp? What make is it- Epiphone vibriola?

The tuning stability is very good. Once I lowered the saddle piece and brought the action down, it seemed to settle in. I do a lot of string bending, however, I use the trem very sparingly. Staying in tune has been no prob so far. As far as the tremelo, I really don't know. But I believe it is an Epiphone Vibrola from the google search I just did for it.

Archived