Gibson Brands Forums

Strings again....

28v6r

So you've bought your new Epi' date=' and it comes with a set of strings on it:

Do you change immediately to your favorite set or play the existing ones until they drop, and if so why?[/quote']

Neither. About 2 weeks to familiarize w/guitar paying close attention to playability issues if any.

Then do a complete set up inspect making any changes while still have "old" new strings on it. This approach saves wasting a new string set from the overstretching that may occur while you're trying to correct any set up issues.

Change once assured that set up is right on.

Secondly' date=' assuming you change immediately to your preferred string, how did you come about this choice and why?[/quote']

Luck and advertisement. I played Ernie Balls for 11 years with no complaints.

Decided one day to try out some other brands so asked a few questions, obtained opinated answers, tried a couple (w/results about the same as EBs), and then just happened onto an advertisement for DR Pure Blues featuring one of my all time favorite bluesmen Hubert Sumlin.

Thrilled with the added tonal depths of DRs and the fact that once settled in (24 hrs) they stay in-tune like no other strings brands have on both my LP and strat.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I got my first new set of strings today, and had the guy at the music store put one on my guitar for me while I closely watched him do it. He told me not to take off all the strings at once, but change them one at a time, to keep the neck under tension. See, that would have been a mistake I'd have made for sure!

So now I got this set on my Wilshire and it sure does make a difference! It sounds a lot clearer. They feel smoother under my fingers, but they also feel a bit ehrm... tougher? Stiffer? Dunno how to describe it, really. I'll get used to it soon enough =D>

Oh and the strings are Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46).

He told me not to take off all the strings at once' date=' but change them one at a time, to keep the neck under tension. See, that would have been a mistake I'd have made for sure[/quote']

That's nonsense. Taking all the strings off at once will not hurt your guitar. Although I

often change strings one at a time, I sometimes remove all of them in order to clean and

condition the fingerboard and polish otherwise inaccessible areas.

My Epi has humbucker pickups and strings I am wondering about changing. Has anybody tried the Gibson Humbucker strings?

I accidentally put them on my P90-loaded guitar and they didn't work:-"

If you can cold tune a guitar to 440 A by ear I will take my hat off to you sir. I've been playing daily for over 30 years and i couldn't do it. Stan.

I use a tuner on stage, sometimes at home, especially if a guitar has not been recently tuned on a tuner. The "by ear" method works for me, but it requires playing an open D chord and then an A chord afterward, followed by an E minor and then the D again, touching up on each, to get it where it sounds perfect... kind of.

For a very interesting article on this subject , click the link below and read the whole thing. When you come back I bet your head will spin for a while. It's very enlightening. The article was written by a studio engineer with a good grip on musical theory.

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

I use to take all my strings off at one time, but now do them individually. I don't think taking them all off for short periods of time will cause a problem. Maybe the longer the strings are off, the more adjustment it will require after restringing. However, the time it takes to clean and restring a guitar should have no impact on the guitar.

IMHO

I say change 'em. Unless you order the guitar new online, chances are several people have played the guitar before you bought it and grimed up the strings.

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11's on all my electrics, so most stock strings are too skinny for me. I like the beefier sound and feel, and they generally last a long time. I change strings on most of my guitars about every 1-2 months depending on how often I play them.

I play MOR for an adult crowd.

I've always meant to ask' date=' what is MOR for adults precisely?

My guilty pleasure these days are standards (proof I'm getting old...) I don't play these with the people I currently jam with...but these days if I pick up a guitar in my house I find myself playing [i']The Windmills of Your Mind [/i] or something similar for hours on end...I love all those major 7ths, and my 'chord of the moment': Ebm7b5...

Bloody hell, I even bought a Matt Monro CD the other day, and my wife is starting to make fun of me...

Am I gravitating towards adult MOR, perchance?

Archived