Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD to me: My First "SG"

midiman56

Hey all,

I just picked up a brand new SG Prophecy SG yesterday! I haven't heard much about this model here on the forum, but I have been so happy with the Les Paul model from this line that I was always intrigued. I had my local GC order one for me (all the easier to say, "No thanks" if it didn't do it for me). I thought I would share some thoughts after my first couple of hours of intimacy with this baby:

1. The Looks: I can already tell that I'm going to have to get this out into the sunshine to get a decent pic of it, but let me assure you that it is a beautiful guitar. It’s a shade or two darker than the Les Paul and has a burst-like darker rim that the LP is also without. I am one of the few that seems to like gold hardware (all four of my Epi's have it) and I really think it ads to the overall look. It’s also different in that it has no pick guard ... why hide that incredible flame! As is the case with all flame-top guitars, no picture ever seems to do it justice.

2. The Neck: One of the things that has always made me hesitant about SG's has been the neck. Compared to other guitars, it always seemed wide enough to use as a landing strip for small aircraft. The Prophecy has the same neck as the LP model: slim, fast and EBONY! It is slick as poop through a goose and a pleasure to play. The one thing that is going to take some getting used to is the length. While, at 24 frets, its not really any longer, it seems that way as the slope of the heel doesn't start until the 18th fret (as opposed to the 14th on the LP) and the 24th is completely accessible … not that I’ll ever get up there! It is very neck heavy! So far I’ve only played it seated and it hasn’t been too bad … nothing I can’t get used to. I can see where a new, rougher backed strap might be in order. The setup was just about perfect right out of the box, and I watched this one come out of the cardboard and foam. The action is as low as it gets without any buzz. It’s a real pleasure to play!

3. The Sound: What can I say, I LOVE those Dirty Fingers! This guitar can go from smooth and jazzy to rock hard. I’m not really that much of a distortion guy, but I poured it on while putting the guitar through its paces and it never got muddy. Every note in every chord rang through clear as a bell. Pop the coil tap and it took on a decidedly “tele” tone … very chimey and cool! I’ve played the EX (EMG equipped) version of this guitar and it just didn’t do it for me. These pups are awesome!

So far I am very happy with my purchase. It’s different enough in sound and certainly in looks to compliment my collection. The two Prophecy GX models I own are enough to convince me that Epiphone has a read winner with this line. Not traditional, by any means, but high quality and kick-*** to play!

MIDI

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

Well thanks' date=' Sjael! I see you have the EX version of the LP, so you are part of Epi's whole "Harry Potter" trend too!

MIDI[/quote']

The what trend? :( I think I missed something.

I actually had my heart set on the GX Les Paul, up until I walked into the shop to buy it and gave the EX a try, at which point no matter what I played, all that came out of the amp was 'buy me.'

As for the SGs, they're great but as I'm just over 7' tall they feel like a toy to me...

LOL ... sorry, my friend. My wife calls these Prophecy guitars the "Harry Potter Line" because of the lightning bolts. Harry Potter has a scar in the shape of a lightning bolt on his forehead.

Seven feet tall!!! I'. 6'5" myself so I can somewhat relate. After all of these heavy guitars, the SG does make me feel as though I'm holding a hockey stick. Then again, as big as you are, the Les Paul must look a bit lit a ukulele!

MIDI

Congrats. I tried one out a couple months ago. I didn't plug it in. I'm really not crazy about hot pickups, but I have to tell you the neck on that thing was a piece of art. Much thinner than the G-400s that I have, very comfortable to play, and fast. If it came with Classic 57's I'd be really tempted.

Thanks, guys!

I'm having a ball with this! It really is a different playing experience from anything else I own. The lightness of this guitar compared to the others is almost liberating. I find myself standing up to play ... something I don't usually do. If only I had enough room to do some Pete Townsend "windmills"!

MIDI

Seven feet tall!!! I'. 6'5" myself so I can somewhat relate. After all of these heavy guitars' date=' the SG does make me feel as though I'm holding a hockey stick. Then again, as big as you are, the Les Paul must look a bit lit a [i']ukulele![/i]

MIDI

The les paul actually fits me quite well, and speaking of which, I actually have a ukelele that I bought for that very reason. My strumming hand is about the same size as the body of the uke.

Archived