Gibson Brands Forums

New user: 2 Epi LPs so far

snapperdragon

Started playing less than 2 years ago, having a great time. Mostly into rock music of the late 60's and early 70's, but do like Ozzy w/Randy Rhodes, AC/DC, Metallic, GNR, etc (Freebird!) Skynyrd, ...

I read some of the Epi VS Gibson threads and they are definitely amusing as well as informative. That kind of comparison happens in many other areas as well, as I am sure you are all aware.

For my part, I aspire to one day own a Gibson LP guitar. Why? Because this is the guitar that the musicians that I admire played. Simple as that. Also, I prefer a made in the USA product since this is where I live. I expect others that live in different parts of the world would also possibly prefer some things made locally, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I love the Epi LP I have, it's the blue colored one with the cream binding. I had a more basic Epi LP before that which was cheaper but I wanted something nicer once I realized this was a real hobby and not a passing fad for me.

I don't think there is any correct answer to what is better. My take is that the answer is dependent on the person you ask.

Personally, my end goal is to get a Gibson one day. Hopefully, when that day comes, my ability to play is at least respectable enough to say that I should be playing a Gibson.

In the mean time, I live the Epi. It looks great, plays fine, and I don't have any complaints at all. I bought it new last June and have had no problems other than some fret buzz which can be corrected with a pro setup. I just turn up the amp a bit and I'm set!

The only mod I've done is to replace the bridge pickup with a Gibson Burstbucker 2. Mentally, now, I feel that this should be "close" as far as tone. Most of the tone comes from how I use my hands is what I am finding out as well as all the other gear and the amp.

I think ultimately, you do what you can until you reach your goal, whatever that is. Hopefully, when you do reach the goal that it is a positive thing for you and not a "wah wah" moment. Have fun, and play guitar.

Welcome... Nice to have you on the list...

Some people call me a nut case - especially my Shrink... but when you pick up your guitar, does it make you want to play it? Do you feel a bond to it? OR... is it sitting in the corner or living in the case?

The reason I ask is that I personally choose a guitar that encourages me to play. I don't really care what my hero's play because I believe that they chose their main guitar for the same reason that I did. I know there are sponsored players out there that get the latest whatever from whomever to play. Even Yngwie still uses the Strat he customized. For the rest of us we have to make these decisions on our own.

So if you love the guitar and you can achieve the sound you want and it make you want to play more... why worry who or where it was made. I have a Korean Sheri that I dearly love. A couple of months ago I bought my first ever Fender Strat. I was a Gibson snob... When I met my Sheri I fell in love and she is still my main guitar. My Strat is beautiful, American made Deluxe - gorgeous....with an entirely different personality. I enjoy her too, but not like Sheri...

Enjoy the music and have fun above all else. That's what this is all about... I think I here my Shrink calling...

Gibson.......... Epiphone.......... it's all the same to me. They both ROCK!!! I have several sweet Gibson LPs and several sweet Epiphone LPs. I take both brands to gigs and I enjoy both equally.

I think the Gibsons are a little sweeter sounding, they sing a little more when you hit high sustained lead notes, and they seem to have a really cool organic feel to 'em.

But for me that doesn't detract from the Epiphones in the slightest!! If anything it makes me enjoy them even more when I see how close in quality they are to my Gibsons.

I don't care if it's Gibson or Epiphone. I love 'em both! : )

Archived