Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help! Ebony SG G-400 or Cherry?

Sinb

I often hear many say that you should get a Cherry if you have a choice because you can see the wood grain, and therefore they use better pieces of wood.

All I can say is I chose an EE ebony.

And it is one of the best guitars I have ever owned. I have played a friend's Cherry G400, and mine sounds and feels better. My friend thinks so also.

I wouldn't worry about the color so much. Choose what YOU like.

But I would recommend a G400 that is an EE model. They seem to be some of the best out there.

I prefer Cherry. I have two with the half pickguards. One is a U (2006) and the other EE (2007). Actually, I prefer the U (Korean) that I have over my EE. But there are good quality guitars coming out of both. The neck on my EE is a bit wider and thicker than my U. But I enjoy playing both.

Just go and l play some and find the best. I tried out a faded EE G-400 a couple of months ago and it had the best neck of any G-400 I've played. A nice thin profile. I thought about putting some money down on it, and I would have had it been the worn brown. I really like that finish. They did have a worn brown one too, but the neck on it has a thicker profile so I walked away.

Archived