Gibson Brands Forums

Wireless headphones arrived.......JUNK!!

Bender 4 Life

The wireless headphones I ordered 2 weeks ago arrived today.

I should have known they would be junk (Avon).

Exerpt from instruction sheet..........."install 2 AAA batteries into headpiece, install 2 AAA batteries into tower,OR plug in 4.5v adapter, NOT INCLUDED......."

also......."operating range of UP TO 15 ft., possibly less if other electrical appliances are operating in area"

Oh well, at least I didn't unpack them<L>.

i got some for my dad (some low end sonys, in the $50-60 range) and i thought they were ***. very limited range- limited to the point of being nearly useless, and you need to have a clear line of sight between the transmitter and the phones. they also were pretty noisy, i found- lots of low level hiss. sound quality itself wasn't much either, but i'm pretty picky about that. they had some other strange quirk, but i forgot what it was. i think you had to make the tv louder than the phones to get a decent volume in the headphones. purpose defeated. #-o

all that doesn't bother my dad much, as he is deaf as hell anyway and he uses them to watch tv when my mom is asleep or when they watch movies. so he likes them. your mileage may very.

I took your advice EF......loaded all the batteries in, plugged the tower in to the headphone jack

on my amp, turned the amp on, volume up, guitar (plugged in) volume up, turn on tower and

headphones, volume up, setting as per instructions.........never heard our TELEVISION(which

is across the room) more clearly in my life!(odd concidering i'm not plugged into the TV)

I hit reset.........and somebodys CB radio came in crystal clear (it's 2:30 am for Gods sake)!

I tried the "scan" function.......and heard more FM stations than i've EVER heard on our stereo.

(check again...yep plugged into amp, not stereo)

Try every 1/4" jack adapter in my gig/repair/studio box (in case the jack only LOOKS identical to the 1 on

the old wired headphones that DO work)........same results........TV, CB, a dozen FM stations, all

crystal clear. (evidently my tube amp is just a mega antenna for every other appliance in a 5 mile radius).

So, the batteries are back in the box, the wireless phones and tower are neatly re-packaged

and awaiting return.........and i'm gonna play my acoustic until my wife wakes up, because

I STILL don't like headphones with a wire ! *L* Although I may just learn to.#-o

The only time I've tried wireless headphones was during Thanksgiving at an in-laws house (big family gathering). These were Sonys that were purchased from the locally owned big screen/ home theater dealer. This guy sells and installs home theater equpment to the people who have real theater seats in their home theater. Her husband wears them while working outside so that he can listen to Fox News. They were $99.

I tried them on and thought, not bad. They weren't as good as my Sony MD-V6's (wired studio grade headphones), but convenient. These had rechargeable lithium batteries and a charging cradle that sat on top of the stereo shelf. You just place them in the charging cradle and line up an arrow on the headphones with an arrow on the cradle and they charge through inductive coupling, no wires to plug in.

I heard nothing but decent TV reproduction. Of course, these people live 20 miles from town and the RF interference.

My thoughts were that they would be good for practicing guitar quietly through a pod or other combo foot pedal. You could move around the room and not have to deal with the wires.

Hi Bender

not sure if it's a US thing with the range as I've got a few pairs of wireless headphones (Sennheissers, Phillips, etc) and they all have a range of 100ft plus. I can quite happily sit in the garden or work in the garage and listen to the telly or the hifi with no problems.

yeah, mine (phillips) does its job too. There comes a bit of hiss, usually when you put your hands next to them (really strange thing but...) but otherwise really convenient. Bought them to be able play guitar in silence so can easily walk around in me room.

The wireless headphones I ordered 2 weeks ago arrived today.

I should have known they would be junk (Avon).

Exerpt from instruction sheet..........."install 2 AAA batteries into headpiece' date=' install 2 AAA batteries into tower,OR plug in 4.5v adapter, NOT INCLUDED......."

also......."operating range of UP TO 15 ft., possibly less if other electrical appliances are operating in area"

Oh well, at least I didn't unpack them<L>.[/quote']I have some similar to that, but the tower needs a 9V... I hate those batteries.

Archived