Gibson Brands Forums

nut for a dot

mbberry

i bought a dot awhile back from mf. had the pickups changed at a local guitar shop, changed the pickguard and tuners. im not a tech so i dont know the specs but i want to chang the nut to a tusq. anybody know where i can order one that will fit. all i can find are for lps, will these fit?

mb,

I do not have a definitive answer as I have not replaced a nut on a Dot.

I am not going to comment on the benefits (or lack there of) to replacement as this is discussed at least once

or twice a month. Opinions can easily be researched with a simple forum search.

The Tusq nut you inquire about is normally listed as being for a Les Paul. Depending on the stores discription,

it is often listed as also fitting a Sheraton. For this reason only, I am guessing that it might fit a Dot.

The part numbers are:

PT-6060-00 (black)

PQ-6060-00 (white)

Specs are:

MEASURES.............(LENGTH).......(WIDTH).......(HEIGHT).......(1ST TO LAST STRING)

APPROX. INCHES.....1 23/32...........1/4.............11/32...................1 3/8

MILLIMETERS............43.84.............6.10...........8.89.....................34.54

Tusq nuts are a high temperature, high pressure synthetic. The 6060 models, as noted above, are 1/4" wide as

opposed to 3/16". The 1/4" being common on many Epiphones. The black are often listed as a "trem nut". They are

(from what I have been told) the same thing.

The best place I have found for purchase has been Ant Hill Music ....... (easily found with an internet search)

They have a toll free number, are very helpful, and less expensive than other sources I have found.

They ship first class mail, only charge a couple of bucks for shipping and I have recieved my orders from them in

only a couple of days.

Possibly other members can be more helpful.

Willy

Check the graphtech site for Product #: PQ-M600-00 - Ive used this one on an EE made Dot studio and on three Les Paul's and it was a perfect fit (string spacing and thickness). The one tagged as good for an EPI - (Product #: PQ-6060-00) is actually well over 1/4" thick and I found it requires too much filing to fit.

These tusq nuts are excellent, the slots will work with strings from 9"s up to and including 11's, you will have to sand or file the underside to lower the nut into the slot and set the strings at the right height.

Here's the link to the one I use for Epi's http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?ProductID=212&CurrencyID=2

Rev charlie got the lp nut in tusq from me.. it was too high..

this is good.

too low is unuseable, as you'd have shim it.

too high is good because you just sand or file the bottom a bit until the slots are the right height.

Otherwise I believe it fits well.

tusq and bone are the way to go, I think.

I haven't tried a graph technut though so.. no comment.

TWANG

Archived