Gibson Brands Forums

Touching up finish on guitar?

KingYosef

I'm sure somebody will give you some helpful advice. Me, I'd leave the guitar be, some scratches here and there show character!

Would you pay thousands for the Gibson BFG or for those signature Strats that look like were used and abused before leaving the factory? I guess it's all a matter of taste, but I care more about how the guitar sounds than I care about how it looks.

I recollect seeing in some previous posts that folks had used fingernail polish I think it was. No doubt there is a technique to it and then smooth it I guess.

Try search the forums, as I have never tried it, but I think that more than one person had used this approach.

What do you guys do to touch up a chip in a gloss finish on a guitar. Can I use gloss enamel paint? The finish I have is black gloss.

I don't think there is anything you can do, as an amateur, that wouldn't make it worse.

In the late 70s.. I bought a new rick 4001

brand new out of the box, I went to hand to a guy to look at..

turned it slighlty and the lower bout hit the coffee table edge.

five minutes old and it had a thumbnail size chip all the way to the wood.

I used nail polish.. looked every bit as bad as the chip.

I've tried spot repair a couple of time since then..

and the best I can do, remembering it turns out paint is my main area of suckage,

is mask off the chip area.

spray it gloss black in your case..

then use min wax wipe on poly, gloss finish

then buff it out after it drys enough.. overnight for the paint overnight for the gloss.

and it should match fairly well.. better than my nail polish job..

but that's a hack repair.. I do stink at paint.. still, it's better than a big ol chip..and looks just more like a normal ding.

TWANG

Archived