Gibson Brands Forums

Fender's "Cheap" Relic's...will Gibson/Epiphone follow?

charlie brown

Just got a promo piece, outlining Fender's "New"

"Road Worn" series guitars, bases, etc. "Working

musician affordable," Made in Mexico versions of

50's, 60's Tele, Strat, Jazz & Precision Bass, and

others, with that "Custom Shop" relic'd finish!

(Seem to be about 30-50% higher, than the non-

Relic finished versions.)

So, I wonder:-k if Epi (or Gibson) will follow?

I (personally) have always favored "relic" finishing

my own, by PLAYING the HELL out of them, as

opposed to having someone else decide what I liked?

BUT, that's just ME! LOL!

CB

You know what, I just saw that Gibson LP thingy the other day, the one that looks truly knackered. I think it's called a BFG or a LPG or something similar with 3 letters... anyway, I just thought that if I was paying 2 grand sterling for a guitar, I'd rather have one that looks new, with a shiny new top... and then I could scratch it gently myself over the next 20 or 30 years. That poor thing looks like someone went at it with an angle grinder after an 8 pack of beer.

Look, I suppose some people like that kind of thing, and more power to them if they do. Horses for courses as they say. It's just not my cup of tea.

I think Epi will go down that route... it just depends if there's a market. The very fact that Fender are doing it suggests to me that there is a market. So erm... yeah, I can see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Beck's beat to heck Esquire and Page's painted tele... but I have no interest really in spending hundreds or even thousands on these "custom relic'd" junkers... if its priced "Working

musician affordable" then it sure as heck would not be $950...LOL.... working mans affordable imo should be $500 and less at least plus like Charlie said above, let me relic it......

I just picked up a copy of "20th Century Guitarist" magazine that had a relic guitar article. Apparently The Gibson Custom Shop is offering a few relic'd LP's. There must be a market for it since Fender has done it for a few years now. I can see Epiphone offering relics if the Gibbys' catch on.

Personally, when I pay for a brand new Gibson I want it in pristine condition (my 2007 SG Faded is relic'd enough just from playing it).

I sold the red Stratocaster in my avatar and bought the last Gibson SG Classic w/P90s' I could find (get to pick it up tomorrow hopefully!). It's red, shiny, wicked sounding, and doesn't have a scratch on it, and I plan on keeping it that way (at least for the next 40 years or so).

I (personally) have always favored "relic" finishing

my own' date=' by PLAYING the HELL out of them, as

opposed to having someone else decide what I liked?

BUT, that's just ME! LOL!

CB[/quote']

I gotta agree, it's like having your wife worked out for you before taking ownership..... sorta sleezy.

The BFG looks awful but sounds amazing. I think though that the distressed look should have been offered as an alternative finish, let the player decide.

I for one prefer the classic vintage look, VOS guitars are just fantastic, but I guess Gibson had a reason for doing what they did... The BFG reminds me of how my strat copy looked like after I decided to refinish it myself some 20 years ago.... No luthier here! lol

So' date=' I wonder 8-[ if Epi (or Gibson) will follow?[/quote']

Gibson yes. Epi no.

The new "relic" market is all about appearances -- looking instantly like a seasoned pro.

Who wants that? Kids, trying to show off and/or look the part of a veteran player.

It's "stone washed jeans" and antique"d" furniture all over again with buyers who have more money than brains (i.e. they could buy used, ruggedly-used at a fraction of what they will pay for new that looks ruggedly used).

Hence, top end sales only -- hence "big" names only -- hence Gibson or Fender but not poor cousin Epi.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Gibson produced one such Guitar which i really don't know worked out or not.. but it was selling for over $150,000+ on Ebay it was the slash replica, ditto slash's Gibson that he used in this tours with the belt buckle marks, worn out fret boards, cigarette marks on the neck, they were a limited edition so there's isn't one anymore but I saw a guy selling it off at ebay once for over 150k.. well like Steven said, Epiphone's I never think would do that..but now Gibson just might do it again..but they price it far to expensive for normal/working players

Yeah, those are the "one of a kind" or really "Custom" versions. What I'm wondering is...IF Gibson/Epiphone

would bother doing a "Regular line" Relic version, as Fender is doing, for the "Working musician's" budget?

I'm not advocating, they will or even should! Just curious. I think Fender is doing it (partially, anyway) to

get to consumers who either don't want to spend "custom shop prices," or CAN'T afford them, and still want

the "Look!" Especially in this economy! The people who would/will buy $150,000 dollar versions, don't give a Wah-hoo,

about the "economy," anyway. LOL!

CB

If a guitar has a scratch on it at the music shop. I want a discount... When I see a beat up guitar on stage, I think, "that guy doesn't take care of his instruments very well." I don't kid myself thinking that a 21 year old guitar player has worn the finish off through use and If he bought it that way, maybe a beat up guitar was all he could afford.

Jerry Lee Lewis was at a gig we played one night and he asked our manager if he could sit in and play a couple of songs with us. She wouldn't let him because she thought our little Fender Rhodes piano couldnt' take feet on the keyboard (grin). I was disappointed. I wanted him to sit in so I could say I played on the same stage as he. I guess some musicians just abuse their axes. Mine was bought with hard earned money. I gets TLC all the time and a polish periodically.

Archived