Gibson Brands Forums

Slash Gold Top Les Paul #764/2000

Waco

Sorry if there's an existing thread for this model...couldn't find it though. My wife and son surprised me (big time) with the Slash Gold Top Epi...and I love it. Looks great, fantastic finish, neck is perfectly straight, and those SD Alnico Pro II pickups are a perfect match for it. I run through a reissue Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808 & Cry Baby wah and into a Line 6 Flextone III. It had one flaw out of the box...a minor crack in the vol knob top, probably from being set to hard. I finally found the replacement knobs at GFS seem to be a good match (we all know now the Gibson ones won't fit and they also have brighter paint in the numbers). I may go with gold replacement knobs over the amber...not sure yet, they both look nice. I'm also going to try the pearl pick guard from GFS (only $10) since the cheap cream one it came with...well, looks plain and cheap. I also noticed when changing the strings that a white film started to develop on the chrome hardware, seems to come off with some polish and a rag...maybe dissimilar metal corrosion from the strings? Trying the new Titanium Ernie Ball strings now. Photos added below:

GoldTop.jpg

Certificate.jpg

Case.jpg

Anyway, I started this to see if any other owners out there had comments on this guitar...fire away!

Waco

P.S. Did anyone else feel the insatiable urge to play the opening riff to Sweet Child O' Mine when plugging this in for the first time?

I got mine a few days ago, not the goldtop but the sunburst Slash model. I can't wait, days don't go by quick enough. I had to save a lot to get mine, but it's finally on its way home!

I got my Marshall here just patiently waiting...

The neck is beefier than I'm used to playing...my old Harmony and Washburn as a teenager had slimmer necks and of course the Carvin and Ibanez have super slim neck profiles...this was a big change for me, but I've found it's challenged me to play differently and improve my accuracy. It's definitely inspired me to play/practice more! And the open chords sound amazing. I also have longer than average finger length so I think overcoming the bulkier neck won't be an issue. FYI, my son's '66 Epi SG has a slimmer neck profile than this LP and came with a lower action out of the box. I still need to have a proper setup done on both by my local pro but we're in the middle of possibly buying a house and moving so it may need to wait a bit.

Peace all...thanks for the great comments so far.

Waco

Archived