Gibson Brands Forums

Is my LP Standard solid, swiss-cheese or chambered?

axuality

I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Is my LP Standard solid' date=' swiss-cheese or chambered? Anyone know?

It seems heavier than some LPs that were at the store, but not as heavy as an LP Custom.[/quote'] I'd imagine solid (other than for the obvious routing for pups, wires, etc.....) Afaik, the only chambered Epi LP is the Ultra II, and I've never heard of them "Swissing" the others....

Thank you guys. I'm glad to hear that it's solid, but now let me ask. I hear that it's almost impossible to buy a solid Gibson Les Paul these days, outside the Custom Shop anyway. So why will Epi produce them and not Gibson?

I really like the guitar. Wow. I tried about 8 Gibsons and about 10 Epi Les Pauls, and 2 of the Epis were preferrable to me over all the rest and I was not considering price. I'm so impressed. I guess the Gibson finish is super expensive, but surely not $1500 expensive. :)

Thank you guys. I'm glad to hear that it's solid' date=' but now let me ask. I hear that it's almost impossible to buy a solid Gibson Les Paul these days, outside the Custom Shop anyway. So why will Epi produce them and not Gibson?

[/quote'] My quick and dirty guess is that it costs Epi less to not chamber the "mystery mahogany" ...... To Gibson, the extra cost associated with chambering is likely nothing in the scheme of pricing...... Epis are obviously produced with much less overhead, so every lil bit helps (or hurts, however one wants to look at it).

Here's the third page of a review of an Epi LP standard with a picture of one sans cap.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/362240/the_epiphone_les_paul_standard_plus.html?page=3&cat=33

It doesn't look particularly solid to me if the picture is correct (click on it for a close-up).

Alan

Does look intriguing - Could be an Ultra though. Mind you if you read the blurb he does also rave about the bookmatched flame maple top too which is somewhat surprising as he states he's been in the furniture industry for 4 years and you'd have thought he'd have noticed it's a veneer.

...in my four years in the furniture business, I have never seen a piece, regardless of price, with a finish as beautiful and durable as that guitar. The carved top, made of bookmatched AAA flame maple, shimmered like abalone, its silvery tiger stripes glowing in the sun as I checked it out in the parking lot...

So on that basis I'd be less than inclined to rely on him as a source of info.

Here's the third page of a review of an Epi LP standard with a picture of one sans cap.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/362240/the_epiphone_les_paul_standard_plus.html?page=3&cat=33

It doesn't look particularly solid to me if the picture is correct (click on it for a close-up).

Alan

I'd be very, VERY willing to bet that that is NOT a pic of an Epi LP Std (or Std+) minus the top ...... perhaps an Ultra II (maybe an Ultra ??? were they chambered as well ????????) *dang, this place is lacking in quality "smilies"*

Guest alanhindle

Does look intriguing - Could be an Ultra though. Mind you if you read the blurb he does also rave about the bookmatched flame maple top too which is somewhat surprising as he states he's been in the furniture industry for 4 years and you'd have thought he'd have noticed it's a veneer.

...in my four years in the furniture business' date=' I have never seen a piece, regardless of price, with a finish as beautiful and durable as that guitar. The carved top, made of bookmatched AAA flame maple, shimmered like abalone, its silvery tiger stripes glowing in the sun as I checked it out in the parking lot...

So on that basis I'd be less than inclined to rely on him as a source of info.[/quote']

Sure, there are a number of other inaccuracies in his review, in particular the claim that the materials are the same as those used in a Gibson.

I really just posted it for the pic and not in support of the review itself. I wondered if the photo was of the Ultra as well.

Now, does anybody fancy prising the cap off their Epi LP and posting the photos so we can all have a good look? I would do it myself but I'm going to have to give it a miss for now.

The reviewer's assessment of the look of the cap is accurate. It is extremely impressive and I still can't take my eyes off mine even a year after I first got the guitar. The guy just does't realise it is achieved on an Epi with a flamed veneer and a very shiny poly finish.

Archived