Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help, Epiphone Les Paul Pickup Problem

frokbur

Hey guys,

I was having problems with pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and I took apart the Humbucker to try to fix it, seeming to only make problems worse. The guitar was bought around 1996. It seems when I opened it, I cracked open some glue and possibly disconnected a wire. It is a black wire on the side of the input/output wire. I am not sure where it goes at the moment, and I would solder it to something but I am afraid I would short something out and make matters worse with my amp.

67023043uf8.jpg

sorry for fuzzy picture , but camera is not good for close ups.

That black wire is on the left hand side of pic.

Any help on telling me where this wire should be attached to or a wiring diagram would be useful.

(with this wire not attached, I can still get some noise from the pickup, on a distortion channel and pedals, it sounds like a clean guitar and very quiet with the pickup isolated)

Any help on how to fix this?

If this is not the problem, any ideas what is?

Generally, taking the pickup apart is a BAD thing. Odds are, that pickup is junk now. If it's a chrome covered Epi pickup, I have a spare one I can send you for the cost of shipping, but only if you promise to have it installed by a professional, LOL. Or, you can ship the guitar to me and I'll replace it for free, you just cover shipping both ways. (Probably still cheaper to have it done locally, in the long run.) Either way, let me know, I'd be glad to help...

Good looking flametop you've got there.

You might as well upgrade to a set of aftermarket p'ups......Duncans, DiMarzio's,Armstromgs, GFS's.

I'm curious though, what specific "problem" were you having with them?

Could it be a dirty/bad 3 way switch or volume pot.? Maybe a bad input jack?

Well what it was picking up was no worse than ruining it. I probably will buy 2 new ones, and get a pro to put them in, and for some input on some pickups... I mostly enjoy playing Metallica, but I like the ability to play some oldies like Dire Straits and some Eric Clapton stuff, any suggestions on some new pickups?

By the way the pickup wasn't making any noise before, and I checked all the continuity of the wires with ohms and such, problem is not a switch or input jack, I am pretty good with electrical stuff and more of a do it yourself type of person.

Apparently its not saving me any money this time =D>

Anyhow, thanks for the input!

........I probably will buy 2 new ones' date=' and get a pro to put them in......I am pretty good with electrical stuff and more of a do it yourself type of person.......Apparently its not saving me any money this time[/quote']

Save yourself money, time and aggravation by installing the new pickups yourself - a very easy job on a solidbody.

Choosing pickups is loads of "fun" - so many makers, types, prices, opinions. But I can make a reasonable bet that you'll like the replacements, whatever they turn out to be, better than the stock pickups. Good luck.

Archived