Gibson Brands Forums

Any love for "the bird" here ?

bug music

... Hummingbird that is.

My hummingbird should be here in a few days. I bought it sight unseen, played a newer dove and liked it, so I was hoping they were pretty similar. From most accounts I've read they are pretty similar tone wise. I liked the neck and the mellow tone of the dove, is the hummer neck similar ? Hopefully UPS comes through for me. The waiting is the hardest part...

- Jay

Hi Jay

I have a 'bird. Love it. It looks great, plays great (now I've had it set up) and sounds great too.

I made a few alterations like bone nut and saddle, changed the machine heads and added brass bridge pins.

With a good setup they are great value, enjoy it.

(I posted a few pics of mine a couple of weeks ago here http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6982 )

Matt

Back in the early 70's I had a Hummingbird 6 and 12 string. I've aiways loved the way they sounded. I used to love going out into the garage and practice with out my amps, because i had a corner that had that shower echo. Man getting my voice and those guitars to harmanize in there was Far Out! I just got another 6 string hummingbird, had a drunk fall on it and broke it. NEVER leave your guitar out when your done playing or taking a brake. PUT IN THE CASE. Ive always loved the sound I think you'll like it.

My new hummingbird in Black, Love it.

18.jpg

I have played a few Hummingbirds that I liked but have learned the hard way not to buy an acoustic without playing it first, especially Epis. there is too much varience in tone. I hope you'll be happy with your though. A local shop here recently had a Gibson Hummingbird Deluxe that i would have gave my left testicle for. One of the best sounding Gibbys I've heard in a long time.

I've played a Gibby Hummer, not an Epi. That Hummer belonged to a friend that literally lives by that thing and will never part with it. I never cared for the bright cherry red finish on the typical Epi Hummer, but the natural and black are really looking good. I hope Epi is making them to sound great. I never understood why Epi makes their Hummingbird with the long scale since Gibby's is short scale. Other than the dreadnaught shape and pickguard they don't really have much in common with each other.

Anyway, good luck with that new guitar, buying sight unseen can be a crap shoot, especially if it is used. But if your buying new, don't hesitate to exchange it for another to get one you are happy with. That's the best way to insure you play it often.

B-b-b-b-bird bird bird bird is the word!

"The Hummingbird quite possibly the most perfectest guit tar whatever a guit tar picker ever picked," Me.

The 'Bird should have a mellower tone, more woody and sultry than the Dove, owing to the 'Bird's mahogany body vs. the Dove's Maple body.

Thanks guys ! Yeah, as much as I hated to buy sight unseen I couldn't pass up the price (as in free !! 8-[ ). It was a reward from work, as they don't give out cash any more. It may be here tomorrow or Monday, I am psyched.

Godspeed Brown Truck ! =D>

- Jay

Thanks guys ! Yeah' date=' as much as I hated to buy sight unseen I couldn't pass up the price (as in free !! =D> ). It was a reward from work, as they don't give out cash any more. It may be here tomorrow or Monday, I am psyched.

Godspeed Brown Truck ! =D>

- Jay[/quote']

Umm..... What's the address of your Human Resources Department? :-k

Yeah, it was lucky I happened into a free guitar from work. Truth be told it's really not as glamourous as it sounds. I used to get these "reward points" as a bonus for killing myself at work. You redeem these points at a company website, usually it's just a bunch of "Sharper Image" type crap ( pots and pans, blenders, swiss army knives and such ). Every once in a while though something good shows up there. They haven't given out the points in a long time so I've been saving them and waiting 3 years for something good to show up and it finally did !

- Jay

A cpl. of months back, I "test drove" a new Bird, & a new Dove both @ my local GC store.

mannnnnn Epi. had better tighten up the QC dept. about their factory setups.

neither was even playable below the 12th fret, and both were a struggle below the 9th.

I know having one setup doesnt cost much, but when theres a roomfull of comparably priced guitars

to choose from, and these are the WORST of the lot........it makes them look bad.

Several of their competitors guitars in the same price range, were actually set up PERFECTLY before they

hit the sales floor, and in this economy, anyone that can save the $30 setup fee by buying another brand,

likely will do just that.

A cpl. of months back' date=' I "test drove" a new Bird, & a new Dove both @ my local GC store.

mannnnnn Epi. had better tighten up the QC dept. about their factory setups.

neither was even playable below the 12th fret, and both were a struggle below the 9th.

I know having one setup doesnt cost much, but when theres a roomfull of comparably priced guitars

to choose from, and these are the WORST of the lot........it makes them look bad.

Several of their competitors guitars in the same price range, were actually set up PERFECTLY before they

hit the sales floor, and in this economy, anyone that can save the $30 setup fee by buying another brand,

likely will do just that.[/quote']

Ditto on that ! I love mine BUT, it was setup horribly from the factory. On the other hand, my EL-00 was setup very well. Go figure. Maybe the 'bird was made on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon ??

Ditto on that ! I love mine BUT' date=' it was setup horribly from the factory. On the other hand, my EL-00 was setup very well. Go figure. Maybe the 'bird was made on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon ??[/quote']

maybe the QC guy was standing @ the builders station w/his stick, when your 00 was built?

Note to Epi: Hire more QC, give them bigger sticks too <L>

Gibson / Epi sets up theirs from the factory with .... usually, somewhat high action. They intend the dealers to set them up before puting them out on the floor. Kind of like an auto dealer wouldn't put a car on the show room floor or the sales lot before dealer prepping them, i.e. removing all packaging, checking oil, coolant, etc and giving it a thorough wash and vacuum.

The local GC store management is to whom you need complain. Might also start with the 'Acoustics Room' attendant. "Say fella, do you think the action on this is a bit high? Do you guys set these up?"

Hey guys, mine showed up last night. I was too busy playing to post. =D>

Mine is set up pretty damn nice, just for grins I measured off the 12th and it was set up a hair below 5/64 on the high E and a hair below 7/64 on the low E (just about perfect). I just tuned it and it was very playable out of the box. Mine says it's Indonesian made (?) I thought they had shifted mostly everything to China at this point. Besides having the cheapest, most horrible playing strings that I've ever tried on it, this thing is amazing. I'm going to put a set of masterbuilt strings in a few days, after everything settles in, but I'm having too much fun playing now to think about it. I've already noticed a change in the tone after only about 3 or 4 hours playing time, and everything is starting to loosen up nicely. The finish on mine is pretty flawless.

BTW what is that black greasy crap on these strings ? Man, for the first hour of playing my fingers turned totally black, might be some radioactive isotope they coat them in to keep them from rusting during shipping. :)

- J

Gibson / Epi sets up theirs from the factory with .... usually' date=' somewhat high action. They intend the dealers to set them up before puting them out on the floor. Kind of like an auto dealer wouldn't put a car on the show room floor or the sales lot before dealer prepping them, i.e. removing all packaging, checking oil, coolant, etc and giving it a thorough wash and vacuum.

The local GC store management is to whom you need complain. Might also start with the 'Acoustics Room' attendant. "Say fella, do you think the action on this is a bit high? Do you guys set these up?"[/quote']

Evidently GC didn't get the memo about setting them up.......but then why was literally everything else set up so nicely?

Maybe GC in Birmingham Al. just doesn't want to sell Epis?

They wipe them down every day before closing, so I know they saw how poor the action was.

Oh well...I didn't buy either one........their loss, not mine.

I bought both my bird and EL-00 from the same dealer here in NY. I commented to the salesman about the action being rather high on the bird at the twelth fret. I replied with "Yeahs, its a bit high but that's OK...will that be cash or charge ?" In hindsisght, I should have demanded a setup but really wanted the guitar since I had not seen another in natural finish. On the other hand, I'm not so sure I would have wanted one of those toads going to to work on the saddle and nut on my new guitar anyway. I did have a setup done (another $60) but it plays like a dream now.

Archived