Gibson Brands Forums

25-cent Straplocks

Ron G

This is an oldie but a goodie - may be of particular interest to newbie players. I just picked up a new supply at the local home brewing store. The rubber washers like the ones that are on Grolsch beer bottles. They were two for a quarter. Of course you can buy the beer, drink the beer and then remove the washers. Put on your strap, slip the washer on next. Strap ain't comin' off.

Guest alanhindle

Maybe I'm being over cautious but I don't like the idea of burrowing in to my guitars to fit a strap lock. I use the little plastic ones you slip over the strap button and then spin round to secure the strap. I've had no problems with them.

Alan

Guest alanhindle

*** are you talking about?

An over-emphasis, as opposed to using the word 'drilling', in order to illustrate my point. I'd rather do this than use expletives.

An over-emphasis' date=' as opposed to using the word 'drilling', in order to illustrate my point. I'd rather do this than use expletives.[/quote']

WTF are you talking about?

Did you read the guys instructions, where does he say anything about drilling?

Ok let's start over:

Step #1 Drink the beer

Step #2 Remove the washers

Step #3 Put on your strap

Step #4 Slip the washer on next

Strap ain't comin' off!

Guest alanhindle

*** are you talking about?

Did you read the guys instructions' date=' where does he say anything about drilling?

[i']Ok let's start over[/i]:

Step #1 Drink the beer

Step #2 Remove the washers

Step #3 Put on your strap

Step #4 Slip the washer on next

Strap ain't comin' off!

#1 OP refers to a commonly known 'home made' method of securing guitar straps, using something he has sourced.

#2 In my experience, many people on the forum know this to be an alternative to fitting 'strap lok' type replacement buttons, which often involve drilling in to the guitar to fit them.

#3 I intimate that I prefer not to drill (or burrow to emphasise my point) in to my guitar but, instead, I buy the also cheap and cheerful commercially available over-strap plastic locks that you spin round to secure the strap on to the button.

Here's an example:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=142&pmh=products/accessories

#1 OP refers to a commonly known 'home made' method of securing guitar straps' date=' using something he has sourced.

#2 In my experience, many people on the forum know this to be an alternative to fitting 'strap lok' type replacement buttons, which often involve drilling in to the guitar to fit them.

#3 I intimate that I prefer not to drill (or burrow to emphasise my point) in to my guitar but, instead, I buy the also cheap and cheerful commercially available over-strap plastic locks that you spin round to secure the strap on to the button.

Here's an example:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=142&pmh=products/accessories

#-o

what's the issue' date=' growler? his first post was pretty clear...all he was doing was saying he also

prefers cheap strap lock alternatives...personally, I would never install "real" strap locks, either...[/quote']

Why?

Really don't understand this one - installation is as follows: Undo screw holding strap button onto body, screw straplock button in it's place using existing screw hole (possibly having had to insert toothpick into hole first depending on straploc button screw size).

Where's the drilling come into it?

Am I missing something?

Really don't understand this one - installation is as follows: Undo screw holding strap button onto body' date=' screw straplock button in it's place using existing screw hole (possibly having had to insert toothpick into hole first depending on straploc button screw size). Where's the drilling come into it? Am I missing something?[/quote']

No, you're not missing anything. Just posters stating their baseless beliefs, as is too often the case.

honestly, if you're going to make a big deal out of nothing...I don't swing my guitar around, or jump up and down while playing...

there's much more of a chance of my actual strap breaking, or the original strap button physically ripping out of the guitar...in

either of those cases, a strap lock system is not going to help...in fact, if a strap lock button is not installed properly and rips out,

it's not going to really matter if it "locks" to the strap, because you'll still end up with with your guitar on the floor...

some people don't feel the need for strap locks, or want to deal with another product to buy for their guitar...are their beliefs any less valid than yours? Hardly...

http://lorinator.feminoise.com/img/straplocks.jpg

honestly' date=' if you're going to make a big deal out of nothing...I don't swing my guitar around, or jump up and down while playing...

there's much more of a chance of my actual strap breaking, or the original strap button physically ripping out of the guitar...in

either of those cases, a strap lock system is not going to help...in fact, if a strap lock button is not installed properly and rips out,

it's not going to really matter if it "locks" to the strap, because you'll still end up with with your guitar on the floor...

some people don't feel the need for strap locks, or want to deal with another product to buy for their guitar...are their beliefs any less valid than yours? Hardly...

http://lorinator.feminoise.com/img/straplocks.jpg[/quote']

Strap breakage or strap buttons ripping out is probably not the main cause of guitar droppage. Straps, especially older and/or more flimsy strap holes can be a bigger problem, especially when donning a guitar. If the strap end is angled/folded/cocked, the strap can easily slip off. I've never actually dropped a guitar but I've come dangerously close, saved only by quick reflexes. Some sort of straplock is cheap insurance.

When I install straplocks, I use the screw that was holding the original button on. That's no less safe than keeping the original button.

The only time I've ever dropped the guitar is when my partner handed me the guitar for a change, and she had the strap twisted around - I didn't notice, and it slipped off.

No' date=' you're not missing anything. Just posters stating their baseless beliefs, as is too often the case.[/quote']

Watch this video then you'll under stand his "BASELESS BELIEFS"

Obviously all locks don't require you to drill the hole bigger but some do.......

I've never used the Ernie Ball strap locks but from the drill size stated in the video you definitely wouldn't have to drill the hole out for any of the EE Epis (in fact you might still have to tooth pick it) - no idea about older models. I do know that Schallers and Dunlops don't require drilling on Gibson and Epi LP's, Strats and Teles in fact on all of them you're best off plugging with the ubiquitous toothpick.

As far as I'm concerned strap locks are a personal preference, either you like them or you don't. I was just intrigued as to where the necessity to drill your guitar came from (thanks Sledge for the link - I can see where some people might be concerned.)

I would say that, even though I prefer the added security of strap locks and have them on all my guitars,they're not a 100% guarantee of safety as I had the heart stopping experience of watching my LP neck heading to the floor after a Schaller broke into component pieces (never did find the spring) whilst I was standing around. Luckily I was quick enough to catch it but ......

I never let go of the neck now no matter what when it's on the strap and no of them go on the stand, into the case or anywhere else for that matter with the strap attached - just in case.

Guest alanhindle

To quote Dan Erlewine (a luthier of 30 years experience) on the subject of fitting strap locks from his book "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" p128 :

"Generally, a guitar's original strap button, and its mounting screw, are smaller than the replacement parts, so you must redrill the mounting hole to accept the new, larger screw."

Sledge's youtube video about the Ernie Ball strap locks has a disclaimer popping up part way through to advise that a luthier should install the lock in cases where the existing hole is bigger. I couldn't help but think as I was watching this that I really wouldn't trust this anymore than my cheap plastic jobbies. Bottom line, as evidenced by Wiggy, is that nothing is 100% safe. For me, I'd rather use something commercially produced specifically for the job that would at least have gone through some quality control tests. For me, I don't want to drill in to my guitar, nor do I want to risk spoiling the exisiting hole even if no drilling is required.

Some people prefer screw in strap locks, some (like me) prefer the cheap plastic devices, others like rubber washers, some may even use shoe laces and some folks use nothing and keep an especially secure hold on their guitar. We're all entilted to use the method of our choice, for the reasons we feel are important. Most importantly, we are all entitled to be treated politely and with respect whatever our opinions are, and regardless of their basis.

Archived