Gibson Brands Forums

black beauty - advice request from a girl with no clue!

mangetout

My comment was not a slam on Epiphone in any way. Boyfriends/girlfriends are a transitory thing and for her to spend a shirtload of money on a Gibson for a guy when they could break up at any time (hope not, but it happens) doesn't seem to me to be in her best financial interest unless she is wealthy. She could buy him a Gibson if he still wants one when they are married and living happily ever after.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he just likes a black Les Paul with Gold trim, well any Les Paul with gold trim will do.

I am assuming, however, that your boyfriend knows something about guitars and that he prefers the SOUND that the “Black Beauty” Gibson makes.

Since you state that you can not afford the Gibson “Black Beauty” but may be able to afford a Epiphone “Black Beauty”, let me offer a compromise.

Buy him the Gibson Vintage Mahogany Les Paul. It has the mahogany body and the mahogany top of a “Black Beauty” and it cost only a little more than an Epiphone “Black Beauty”. He can add a Bigsby (or even paint it black) if he wants, and he will have a genuine Gibson.

Believe me, he will thank you.

If he, on the other hand is only able to see the glitz and glam of a black paint job with gold trim, well them you have learned a lot about your boyfriend as well.

8)

My comment was not a slam on Epiphone in any way. Boyfriends/girlfriends are a transitory thing and for her to spend a shirtload of money on a Gibson for a guy when they could break up at any time (hope not' date=' but it happens) doesn't seem to me to be in her best financial interest unless she is wealthy. She could buy him a Gibson if he still wants one when they are married and living happily ever after.[/quote']

..that's damned good advice!!!!

Well, you could approach this in two ways. If it has to be a surprise, and he isn't set on a Gibson, get the Epiphone and he will love it. If you let him pick it out, as my wife has twice, you can be sure that he will like what he gets. There's nothing wrong with telling him what your budget is and letting him shop with you.

And, Remember, the price on the sticker is not set in stone. You can usually get a better deal, especially in this economy. Do a Google search for the guitars you are interested in, print the ad for the lowest price you find and carry it around with you. Any dealer can match that price. If they won't, keep shopping. You may have to pay tax, but you don't run the risk of damage from the shipper monkeys if you had to mail order it.

I agree that Epi is for boyfriends and Gibson is for AFTER the wedding. But, in the defense of Epiphone, I have a Gibson Les Paul and two Epiphone Les Pauls. The Epis get to go out and play and the Gibson stays home where it's safe.

Hi - I hope someone out there can help!!

My boyfriend is a big fan of the les paul black beauty.

His birthday is coming up' date=' and I'd love to get him one, but with the gibson at £2500 approx, I think it's a bit out of my budget.

Is the epiphone version worth getting instead, or would it be better to wait a year or two for the real thing??

any advice would be great.

Thanks![/quote']

The Epiphone Les Paul range offer excellent value for money - the weak points are the pickups and electrics. Does your boyfriend play in a band?

An Epiphone would be a great present - buy from a dealer and get a setup which will ensure the playability is excellent and the instrument is properly intonated.

I am lucky enough to own a couple of Gibson Les Paul's - a friend of mine purchased an Epi Custom Les Paul and gigged with it. It was a great guitar - he eventually changed the pickups and wiring and in an A/B test with one of my Les Paul's you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference in tone, especially when you add distortion and some effects. He had a great guitar for the fraction of the cost of a Gibson.

Epiphone's also hold their value better than other brands.

Mangetout,

I haven't seen a post by you lately. Are u still following us? Did you get any good ideas? Did you buy a guitar? Did you surprise him?

If you get the Epiphone you will still be under your Gibson budget if you get him a nice amp, nothing outrageous but a nice one nonetheless. Does he have a great amp?

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

A great guitar needs a great amp to bloom. Without a good amp it will not sound nearly close to what its potential is. There are a lot of great amps out there for two to three hundred, really great amps considering the price range.

My comment was not a slam on Epiphone in any way. Boyfriends/girlfriends are a transitory thing and for her to spend a shirtload of money on a Gibson for a guy when they could break up at any time (hope not' date=' but it happens) doesn't seem to me to be in her best financial interest unless she is wealthy. She could buy him a Gibson if he still wants one when they are married and living happily ever after.[/quote']

IMO, I think your comment was out of place... She wasn't asking for relationship advice.... In the big picture life is a transitory state.

To the young lady, buy whatever you think will make your boyfriend happy, and do it without reflection. If finances are a concern then go with the Epiphone, the quality for the price is tough to beat. If you can afford a Gibson, then by all means definitely throw down the cash.

hey - and thanks for all the replies!!

Really wasn't expecting this much of a response - I guess I came to the right place :-)

in answer a few questions - I haven't made a decision yet. His birthday isn't till march so I have a bit of time to check out a few of the suggestions (which I def will do). He has an amp which I believe is pretty decent (not exactly clued up to be honest), but investing in a few tweaks to an Epi to improve the quality isn't something I'd even thought of so that would be worth looking into too.

I think the general consensus is that he should be pretty chuffed with an epi anyway (to answer another comment - no I'm not loaded, in fact even £500 is pushing my budget over its limits!!!) so I think I'll probably go down that route. I have considered other models other than the black beauty, but ever since I've known him that's the one guitar he's ever talked about with the most passion so I suppose even a 'copy' (for want of a better word) would be more than he'd ever be able to buy himself.

And yeah, I take the point that a gibson is a pretty big investment for someone who may be temporary!! But he's def long term...and he may even get the real thing as well one day!!

Thanks again!!

hey - and thanks for all the replies!!

Really wasn't expecting this much of a response - I guess I came to the right place :-)

in answer a few questions - I haven't made a decision yet. His birthday isn't till march so I have a bit of time to check out a few of the suggestions (which I def will do). He has an amp which I believe is pretty decent (not exactly clued up to be honest)' date=' but investing in a few tweaks to an Epi to improve the quality isn't something I'd even thought of so that would be worth looking into too.

I think the general consensus is that he should be pretty chuffed with an epi anyway (to answer another comment - no I'm not loaded, in fact even £500 is pushing my budget over its limits!!!) so I think I'll probably go down that route. I have considered other models other than the black beauty, but ever since I've known him that's the one guitar he's ever talked about with the most passion so I suppose even a 'copy' (for want of a better word) would be more than he'd ever be able to buy himself.

And yeah, I take the point that a gibson is a pretty big investment for someone who may be temporary!! But he's def long term...and he may even get the real thing as well one day!!

Thanks again!!

[/quote']

Good-luck!!!! And if you decide on the Epi for your soul mate, send him over here so he can join up!!!

Gibsons suck. Epiphones are much better for the reason that they dont change you into a jerk, besides id rather have a clever little china/japanese man forge my guitars rather then some fat american college drop out from college because he never could do well enough to get a "Great job" like a scientist or something.

then again i wouldnt mind build some guitars for a week, after that id probably get bored from such a tedious task.

without straying off topic, a black beauty is just about one of the only guitars i haven't tried. ive tried rickenbacker to james trussart but never ive tried a black beauty.

those pickups look a little off putting but still, if i could advice any good electric to start off with its probably just about any epiphone that does not seems weird or un-usual, but to be more precise probably an les paul custom but id look for one with a lots of character. probably a les paul ultra two, the finish is very nice and not that common.

have fun and stuff and id like to add that you seem very nice and caring,

i once had a girlfriend whom i made a whole set of glass necklaces for who then dumped me the next day, jokes on her now because she's now a ugly whore who hangs around on street corners giving away "Freebies".

Ignore him mangetout. If you do come back to this thread' date=' at least.

I'd love to paint a strap for those two. I think this is all very romantic. [/quote']

I'm sorry, this was for the guy who said ''Gibsons suck'', still good luck with your birtday gift.B)

Peter

I'd say the best approach would be to get him what he wants: the black beauty Epiphone. Have a really good pro guitar tech at the place locally where the main gigging muscians take their amps and guitars to get fixed, hot rodded, etc. Make sure the shop is an authorized Epiphone repair center. Most pro level tech shops are certified by all the major companies to do authorized repairs. But a properly installed Bigsby tremolo would be one awesome modification. The Epi black beauty straight up, stock would also be an awesome guitar, as designed.

A pro tech might have some suggestions on how to hot rod it to make it a super super surprise birthday present; and for not too much money. They know how to do inexpensive but highly effective things, like switching modifications and toggle switches.

The Black Beauty is going to hit the spot, guaranteed. As I said before: why did the Beatles use Epiphones a lot? Sure they were given some, but they continued to use them when they could play anything, even handmade guitars. I'm sure the Beatles played a lot of Gibsons and Fenders as well.

And yes, it sounds like you are a wonderful girlfriend that he is really lucky to have. And I have seen a nice guitar as a present to a boyfriend carry a lot of weight. Probably like diamonds to women. Know what I mean?

Duffy

Best wishes and don't stress out too much and don't wait too long because sometimes he who hesitates is lost and you won't be able to find an Epi Black Beauty when you finally decide to go for it; I've seen it happen. Plus it takes time for Luthiers or pro techs to get parts and do mods. I would advise moving forward without too much delay. Not to sound bossy. It is your business and you seem to have some great ideas.

The comparison between diamonds and cubic's is kind of incorrect. Epiphone's are not fake guitars and there are many really really nice Epiphones.

To most women, the difference between diamond and CZ goes far beyond mundane issues of real or fake. It deals directly with levels of commitment. The implication being that real love is a diamond, while CZ is "good enough" for anything else - and often the best indicator of which is which. I thought it just another way of saying what others would say later, only with a little romance, a touch of ingenue. Perhaps a little too subtle?

Snookelputz,

Yeah, I knew what you meant. No offense. I don't think Epi's are fake guitars like some have stated.

I can't believe how many people on the Epiphone Forum claim that epi's are fake guitars.

There are a lot of great Epi's out there. All of my Epi's are great.

That Black Beauty Epi with an aftermarket Bigsby is an intrigueing idea. Lots of people would love to have a guitar like that, even without the Bigsby.

I hear that the Black Beauties have a mellower sound than one would suppose. Evidently it is not like a hot twin humbucker LP but has a mellow and really nice tone of its own.

Plus, I don't think enough emphasis can be placed upon what the guy wants as opposed to what we think he should get.

People enjoy and take best care of things that they want.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Archived