Gibson Brands Forums

routing full size humbucker on a riviera

aminaziz92

whatever you'll decide, just don't do anything stupid :) there are plenty of people (I'm one of them) looking for those rivieras just cause they have minihums and if you're not satisfied with the mini sound better sell it and buy something that has normal humbuckers already installed rather than ... oh you understand.

If it were me, I'd buy a "Dot" or a Sheraton...with the full size "buckers," rather than chop up the Riviera.

But, that's just me. Mini's have an "edge" and/or articulation to them, that the full size humbucker's don't,

but are still "warm" sounding, at the same time. It's one reason some folks prefer the mini's. Another good alternative might be the "Alleykat" (if you can find a nice used one)...as it has the full size humbucker at the

bridge and the more articulate mini, in the neck position, where it's most appreciated, generally.

Just some thoughts...

CB

I thought I saw a new mini somewhere.. higher output, different fatter sound.

for the life of me I can't remember.

I sure agree with everyone so far though. routing a finished guitar is not an easy thing to do.

Get a sheri. *G*

TWANG

hiberna,how did you make the riviera to fit with full sized pickups?routing?

and how the hell did valensi fit his p94's onto his riviera?did he used the routing technique?

i do agree with some of you that the mini humbuckers have a unique sound and i sure dont wanna route my riviera after what you guys said.maybe i should spare my riviera from surgery.but i love the look of the cream p94's.Ah well ,maybe a dot should be ok.

oh and can p90's fit into the riviera without routing?

thanks

aminaziz

hiberna' date='how did you make the riviera to fit with full sized pickups?routing?

and how the hell did valensi fit his p94's onto his riviera?did he used the routing technique?

i do agree with some of you that the mini humbuckers have a unique sound and i sure dont wanna route my riviera after what you guys said.maybe i should spare my riviera from surgery.but i love the look of the cream p94's.Ah well ,maybe a dot should be ok.

oh and can p90's fit into the riviera without routing?

thanks

aminaziz[/quote']

Soap Bar P-90's will not go into the mini's mounting, on a Riviera, because of the way the mini's are ringed.

Soap Bar's will go into a LP with mini's, because the mounting ring is a different type/configuration, and actually

sits down inside the body, as opposed to being screwed into it, as is the case with the Riviera.

P-94's will go into (full size) standard Humbucking mounts, but not in the mini's. Get a Sheraton,

or a Dot, and keep your Riviera "stock!" Or, if you like Nick's tone...get a new (or used) Valensi Riviera.

CB

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Riviera-VCSB-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ270331260812QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

why don't you guys take a look at this riviera.it has got humbuckers instead of mini humbuckers.is there such thing or is the guitar modified?i think charlie brown can answer this.oh and is the guitar from kalamazoo?

thanks

Archived