Gibson Brands Forums

New guy needs advice on pickups!!!

Meesh

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping that you guys could help me out with some pickup questions that have been bothering me.

First off, I just bought an Epiphone G-400 and I love the feel of this guitar but I'm not crazy about the pickups. I play a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier.

Also I'm insanely perplexed why there aren't more sites available with sound clips to hear pickups. Duncan has a little but I'm not too crazy about those pups; Gibson has some but not the ones I wanna hear.

I play hard rock (that sometimes borders heavy metal) or post-rock(think of Pelican, The Cancer Conspiracy). I'm not muck of a soloist so I'm not the traditional hard rock guy looking for screaming high end, but I am looking for something kind of unique for the G-400.

I've got a decision between the Burstbucker pros or the P-94's. My hesitation with the Burstbucker pros is that they may be more like what a traditional heavy guitarist would want with a Mesa rig; my hesitation with the P-94's(though I want those badly) is that they're not going to be heavy enough for me.

Please help me out!!!!

They're very different options. P94s are basically big single coils; you can get great rock sounds out of them but you'll need lots of gain on the amp and you'll get some background hum. The upside is that they are more versatile than humbuckers, there's some nice mellow clean tones to be had, but that may not interest you.

The Burstbucker Pros are more traditional warm PAF tones but slightly hotter. Again, you may be after more output. I think you'd be happier with a higher-output humbucker like a Dirty Fingers, or a DiMarzio super distortion at the bridge. I'd suggest a Burstbucker Pro at the neck but something heftier at the bridge, like 15k output, maybe even ceramic magnet.

I am definitely interested in warmer clean tones as well. Do you think that a p94 at the neck would be worse than a burstbucker pro at the neck?

As far as EMG goes, I haven't previewed much from them but the musicians that love EMG around here in Ann Arbor are pretty big metal heads, which I'm not. I need a good pair of pickups that will make a nice marriage to the mahogany body, be able to handle gain without getting muddy, and sounds great with a tube amp.

Also, obviously, this is the first time I've ever thought about switching out pickups on any of my guitars and it's frustrating me because it's not like I can just drop $250 on a pair, realize I don't like them, and then find another pair for another $250!

P94 at neck will potentially be too weak to balance a humbucker at the bridge. Burstbucker Pro will give you warmth plus power at neck. It's a slightly hotter version of a late 50s Gibson PAF so it's not out-and-out metal.

Another good combo if money is no object is Seymour 59 at neck (very similar to BB) and a Seymour Pearly Gates Plus at bridge. I had that combo on a Korean Tele and it was knockout.

For warmth plus power at neck you need a pup with alnico magnet and output of 8k or more. Any more than 9.5k and you struggle to find a bridge pup to match it. I prefer around 8.5k neck, 15k bridge.

Seymour Duncan Phat Cats brother. Absolutely. And since you will thank me later, you're welcome.

I have 40 electric guitars & have at least one with every one of the pickups mentioned in this thread. Love 'em all, but for what you're looking for you want the Phat Cats. Kick *** X 10!

Archived