Gibson Brands Forums

Cannot Identify This Epiphone-Need Help

w0mbat

Hi there, I am new to this forum so please forgive any mis-steps. I recently bought a pretty unique black Epiphone with chrome hardware at a garage sale for $40.00. (why not, even if it was fake it was worth a shot.) The serial number states that it was made in Korea in 2000 and is number 0897. Anyway, it looks like an Epiphone Les Paul Special but has some interesting differences.

1. It has what appears to be a Flying E on the headstock. (For lack of a better term.)

2. It has a unquely shaped trussrod cover (best description is like an iceberg or offset triangle) that reads Epiphone.

3. It has chrome pickups that look like those an LP Standard or Epi LP Standard might have.

4. It is HEAVY, not like the Epi LP 2's and seems to have a much better quality factor than the 2's.

I cannot find the Headstock logo anywhere but it looks authentic. (It is a red, Epi E with white lines horizontaly stacked on both sides.) The guitar feels and plays VERY nice. I just can't figure out what it is. I will post pictures when I can figure out how to. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Its from the Epiphone E-Series.

"Epiphone's E-Series takes some classic rock guitar shapes and gives them a new twist, with unusual styling and finish alterations and the latest electronics. Five new electric guitars make up the E-Series: the LP Extreme and Evolution E-Series Hardbodies, along with three models that feature built-in effects - the Slasher, Demon and Beast E-Series Hardbody FX"

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/E-Series-Guitars.html <---LINK

Wow! You guys are good! I went to the website, it is the Extreme in the Black Perloid. The only difference is that I just have the dots on the fretboard by the e-wing logo is definitly the same! I hooked it up to a Line 6 Spyder 3 15w and WOW! I just couldn't believe it. I was looking to set-up something for my 11 year old son and with this he has 20 times the sound I ever did at his age. Thanks a ton for helping and I will upload photos soon. (Think I will take the guitar and give him pick out an EPI LP 2 ;)

Wow! You guys are good! I went to the website' date=' it is the Extreme in the Black Perloid. The only difference is that I just have the dots on the fretboard by the e-wing logo is definitly the same! I hooked it up to a Line 6 Spyder 3 15w and WOW! I just couldn't believe it. I was looking to set-up something for my 11 year old son and with this he has 20 times the sound I ever did at his age. Thanks a ton for helping and I will upload photos soon. (Think I will take the guitar and give him pick out an EPI LP 2 ;)[/quote']

Might not be a bad idea to let him get something else:-" to nice for an 11 year old! lol Don't think he would out grow it anytime soon if you do give it to him...just make sure to make a deal with him... if he doesn't like it at any time he has to give her back to you8-[

Capt

Good idea. He has already commandeered it anyway! lol. So I think I may have been wrong after looking at the ad. Mine is indeed black and part of the E-series but it doesn't have the pearl inlay on the neck and it only has the two knobs and switch like an Epi LP Special. It does have the E-series headstock though. The final ID is still evading me on the net. I think it is the Basher (like Robinthehood had said) and not the Extreme. I took a couple pics but still cannot figure out how to paste them here.

Archived