Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G-310.. just guitar or "hi-performance pack?"

byaccident

I have a friend selling a new, in box, Epiphone G-310 for $115 that he won in a contest and doesn't need. That got me shopping around, and I found the "Hi-performance" pack for $250 with the G-310 and a Valve Junior Combo Amp at Guitar Center. I know a lot of you recommend saving up for the G400, but $250 is the most I can spend and it would take me a very long time to save up more then that. So my question is, which do you guys think is the better deal? Or do you think I should go with something else entirely? I'm just learning to play, but I already have a Epi Les Paul Jr. with a cheap practice amp. Just trying to take advantage of the only chance I'll get to buy something new for a long time, so any suggestions would be greatly valued and appreciated!

The G-310 sell for $250 by itself, so the amp is a "bonus" in this case. However, IMHO the G-310 isnt really worth $250 by itself, so its a tough call. If you really want that Valve Jr., then go for it. I hear they are great. It's probably better than the amp you have now. But if you are happy with your current amp, get the guitar from your buddy. $115 is a great value for a new 310. I paid $130 for mine used in near mint condition and was worth every penny.

EDIT: Ok, i just did some math..UGH. If you pay $250 for the package and minus $169 for the retail price of the amp, that puts the guitar at $81. Clearly the better deal. Of course, if you factor in taxes, add another $15 or so.

This may convince you that the 310 ain't so bad:

http://www.everythingsg.com/articles/mahoganyrush.htm

Why not use the package deal to bring the guy down in price a bit to, say, $90. Tell him you're getting the amp anyway. The price drop is no loss to him if if he got it for nothing. Wave the cash in front of him. If he won't budge, walk away buy the package.

This may convince you that the 310 ain't so bad:

http://www.everythingsg.com/articles/mahoganyrush.htm

I think he may have embellished a bit on that G-310 review. I doubt there is that much tonal difference between the 310 and the Special. It's the same guitar with different routing, knob config and tuners.

Epiphone bounces back and forth between Alder, basswood and laminate on both models.

The best part was the "steaming hot pickups". I have a couple of these I removed from my 310. They are now refridgerator magnets.

Actually, these crappy PUPs are the only reason the G-310 isnt worth the $250 price tag IMO.

I vote easily for the combo and guitar.

I've had them here.. in the pack form.. and the g310 can be very nice.. and the combo stock is really sweet..

for that money..I almost bought them again!

I may still.

tWANG

Love the idea of getting a acoustic bender, but I'm looking for something I can just throw in my car without being too worried about it. I'd really want a hard shell case for that, so I'm thinking my next plan will be to save up for a acoustic I can really care for. Great idea though.

I've decided I'm going to go with the pack. That amp is just too tempting, especially considering I've been avoiding the one I have because I don't like it too much. I can't find any amp I would like better using what I would save just buying the guitar. I'm sure he'll find someone else to sell it to, and I'm glad it was offered to me because it let me to stumbling onto this great deal!

I was was leaning that way, and you guys really helped tipped me over to go ahead and spend some more money. You guys seem to be really good at that :-({|=

Archived