Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Epiphone Need help

maximos105

Ok so i have a Trans blue Epiphone Les Paul standard guitar. I bought it about a day or two after christmas. Within the last few week my top screw (Nearest to the neck) that holds the strap on kept coming loose. Finally it pulled its way out and stripped the wood clean. Now i have anxiety everytime i let pressure on the strap. I have only had my guitar 3 months, Do i have any warranty, what should i do? Please post back

Thank You

-Max

Max...If you bought it new, from an authorized dealer, they'll honor the warranty! But, you can fix it yourself,

if you don't want to hassle with the dealer...or, if they're too far away, etc. Simply glue in similar wood,

into the hole (with wood glue)...Wooden BBQ skewers, round wooden tooth picks, or something similar...

cut to proper length, to be flush with the edge of the guitar...let it set up and dry properly, then screw in

the original (or better yet, a "strap lock" system, of your choice), and it should be "good to go!" It is a

very common problem/repair, and not on just Epiphones!

Good luck!

CB

Have you tried the store you bought it from? they might offer to fix for you, or they will steer you towards the manufacturer, if they are jerks.

Anyhow, what you have is an easy fix, it can be fixed by glue-ing a dowel into the hole and redrilling the right size hole for the screw being used. After you get this fixed, I would be worried about the other strap point at the bottom of the guitar too.

Depending on the brand, a set of straplocks alone might solve the problem. In most cases, the screws that come with the straplocks will be wider and/or longer than the stock strap button screws. If not, just dip a toothpick in woodglue, stick it in the hole, and break it off even with the body. Use two if needed. You don't have to wait for the glue to set, the pressure of the screw will hold the toothpicks in place until it does. I rarely even bother with the glue, I just use toothpicks... I just check them whenever I restring the guitar, and if they're loose I tighten the screw. If it won't tighten, I take it out and add another piece of toothpick. (The toothpicks are made of softer wood than your guitar, so the stress of the strap compresses them over time.)

I think that most epis come with mis-matched hole diameter and screw size. When I installed Schaller straplocks on mine, I used the Epi screws to install the strap buttons, since the Schaller screws were smaller. I finally had to do the toothpick and glue fix to make them stay tight.

It's a good idea, as several said, to check the tightness of the buttons every time you re-string. If you don't, one day the neck will gravitate toward the ground and we will see posts of broken heastocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived