Gibson Brands Forums

Can You Buy Masterbilt Saddles Anywhere?

bluezguy

My mistake' date=' they are listed as compensated Bone, however I have seen some with plastic in them so I wonder if some had plastic and some had bone.Ship[/quote']

Thanks Folks,

But the question still remains the same... where do you buy 'em? Epiphone doesn't seem to have a 'parts department'.

I'm shaving down my action a thousandth of an inch or two and just in case I screw it up, I'd like to have a couple stock spares around. I want original equipment parts.. not aftermarket.

Thanks,

Jake.

My mistake' date=' they are listed as compensated Bone, however I have seen some with plastic in them so I wonder if some had plastic and some had bone.Ship[/quote']

Ship,

Like you, I saw some of the new, glossy Masterbilts in a store, and posted here that I thought they now had plastic saddles. Someone here on the forum who has one tested the saddle and confirmed it's bone. Apparently, they are so exactingly cut and polished that they look like plastic at first glance.

Bluz,

Stewart MacDonald sells compensated bone saddles that will fit a Masterbilt with some minor sanding.

If yours is damaged and the guitar under warranty, contact Customer Service through the Epiphone or Gibson site; I'm sure they'd send you a new one in that case.

Red 333

Stewart MacDonald sells compensated bone saddles that will fit a Masterbilt with some minor sanding.

If yours is damaged and the guitar under warranty' date=' contact Customer Service through the Epiphone or Gibson site; I'm sure they'd send you a new one in that case.

Red 333[/quote']

Thanks Red... I just got my answer.

I called Gibson support only to be told you can't buy that saddle - they won't sell it to anyone. For those of us who use only original equipment parts, that SUCKS.

As anyone knows who has experimented with 'upgrades', it alters your tonal qualities in either direction. Me... I don't want the sound of my DR500r altered in anyway. It prints to tape/cd in exactly the sound I need it to therefore I want the same piece os saddle as a replacement.

Yes, it is possible that if you get the 'same' replacement part that it's properties may give you a tonal difference - but that's the chance I wanna take.

In the meantime, thanks for the info on StewMac. I'll try one of theirs.

Jake.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

I'll 2nd this guy. I've bought saddles, as well as other things from him. Just replaced a tusq saddle, with bone for my J-45.

couldn't be happier.

I don't understand why 1 bone saddle would sound different from another, but if that's the case, I would be willing to bet his sounds better.

You might also call Gibson Montana. They are much better to deal with than, the 800#.

I called the 800# concerning problems with the pickguard, on my SJ-200, their response was "too bad" normal wear, & tear.

I called Montana, & they sent a new pickguard, at no charge. (These pickguards sell for about $250)

I have the highest regard for the folks in Montana. I have no regard for the people answering, the 800#.

They don't know sh.t about gibsons, & represent the company poorly!!

first of all custom saddles requires you to send in the old saddle. bob doesnt have a saddle made for epiphones. he can copy[i need 1 but dont trust the saddle on it] graphtech has a compensated gibson saddle for 12 dollars that i bought. looks pretty close i need to do a little sanding this week. also gibson does not carry saddles for epiphones and they are not available thru them[shows how much gibson care for epiphone brand] . also im going to do my fist nut change. gt also has a 1 11/16ths nut that im going to buy and sand down. already has slots cut. you just use calipers and make sure measurements fit. looks like the b slot on mine wasnt cut right, but for 250 for a 2007 aj500m sunburst[that was buffed out to look identical to gloss-better than any buffing i have done] i am going to get this baby looking like new. also in case any1 wants the masterbilt case , i just got 1 from sweetwater for 59 including shipping.

first of all custom saddles requires you to send in the old saddle. bob doesnt have a saddle made for epiphones. he can copy[i need 1 but dont trust the saddle on it] graphtech has a compensated gibson saddle for 12 dollars that i bought. looks pretty close i need to do a little sanding this week. also gibson does not carry saddles for epiphones and they are not available thru them[shows how much gibson care for epiphone brand] . also im going to do my fist nut change. gt also has a 1 11/16ths nut that im going to buy and sand down. already has slots cut. you just use calipers and make sure measurements fit. looks like the b slot on mine wasnt cut right' date=' but for 250 for a 2007 aj500m sunburst[that was buffed out to look identical to gloss-better than any buffing i have done'] i am going to get this baby looking like new. also in case any1 wants the masterbilt case , i just got 1 from sweetwater for 59 including shipping.

You can also send measurements to Bob.You can call him, & he is very helpful in getting you what you need.

You can also send measurements to Bob.You can call him' date=' & he is very helpful in getting you what you need. [/quote']yep bob is great. but i just ordered a gibson b compensated saddle from graph tech i think, works great. as for the saddle original, they suck very bad quality. im surprised at the junk epiphone is doing now. the nut on my masterbilt is horrible, b string not even slotted from front to back causing a palmed sound. have a 16 thousand nut file coming and going to fix not a big deal. but the b compensated saddle i bought works great on the aj500. im going to order the ivory b compensated from bob in a couple weeks.

Archived