Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird balance

Yew

Hello everybody,

I have an Epiphone Firebird studio in cherry red (see left) made in 2007 in UC (dunno where that is)

I really like it, until i stand up and try to play a solo with it, the neck is so heavy it makes it hard to play anywhere except the first 4 frets or the last frets on the neck (and since i like to play my solos in the middle of my fretboard theis is bad) Does anyone know how to balance this (using a think leather strap helps but its still not great)

I have heard that moving the strap button from the top of the guitar to somwhere on the back makes the balance better but i dont know where

on another note, is it really worth getting a new pickup for this guitar, as the stock ones sound fine for chords ( ACDC style music) but just seem a bit lacking for notes and solos (and thats the area im trying to improve)

Ant

UC stands for Unsung, China.

Those firebirds are nice guitars.

There's not too much you can do with the balance issue, it's the nature of the beast. I wouldn't advocate moving the strap buttons.

An important factor is the type of strap you are using. If it's a nylon or fabric strap then forget about it - useless. Use a broad leather strap (not too smooth on the inside), and you'll notice a difference. My G-400 (SG) is neck heavy, but my Levy leather strap corrects this - at least to some extent.

Pick-ups....well...technically a Firebird should have mini-hums, however that mod would be a real pain as your guitar is routed for normal sized humbuckers. You'd have to do something inventive with the pick-up rings to close up the space. It's probably easiest to stick with regular sized hums. If you want a good tone without spending a lot of money, I'd take a look at Stew-Mac's Golden Age humbuckers.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/2/Golden_Age_Pickups.html

Thanks,

the Unbalanceing is basicaly heavy Headstock syndrome ive heared that putting a strap button about 1 and a 1/2 inches from the neck join works withfirebird XII , but this has different construction, ( no contors on the body) so im not sure if it will totally solve my balance problems

And the firebird doesnt actually use the minihumbucker its famed for, it uses standard Epiphone studio humbuckers, wondering if anything would give me better lead tone (but still keep aceptable rhythm tome for acdc riffs)

Just as a side note, i live in the uk. so brands are more useful than links as i just have to find a uk supplier (so it saves you a job)

Thanks' date='

And the firebird doesnt actually use the minihumbucker its famed for, it uses standard Epiphone studio humbuckers, wondering if anything would give me better lead tone (but still keep aceptable rhythm tome for acdc riffs)

Just as a side note, i live in the uk. so brands are more useful than links as i just have to find a uk supplier (so it saves you a job)[/quote']

To get the real Firebird tone (which some people describe as piano-like) you really need the mini-hums and the through-neck, neither of which the Epi Firebird Studio has. It's why some of us here would like Epiphone to make a "real" Firebird at some point. That said, I do still like these Studios as guitars in their own right.

You mention AC/DC a fair bit. An obvious choice would be to lash a set of Gibson 57s in there, but that will cost you a fair few "quid" I'm afraid. Might be worth looking at the some of the Seymour-Duncan offerings at GAK, as you are looking for an English dealer. The Antiquities would work great, I'm sure (but, again, expensive).

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=237

I have a Firebird Studio in Worn Cherry...made at the Unsung Korea factory (U).

The neck on this guitar is not too heavy, and I don't have any balancing issues with it...

I usually do an Allen Collins with it and have the rear strap over the face of the guitar on the top.

Works out OK.

The guitar itself is a mighty piece of wood with great tone.

Upon taking the pg off and removing the pickups, there was no black paint inside and all I saw was beautiful wood grain. Very unusual for an Epi.

I did replace the stock pickups with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a Paf Pro in the neck. It is one smokin' deal now.

Archived