Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird or en EJ-200

chewy1281734128

Hi chewy

I used to have an ej-200ce (as you can see from my avatar) and I now have a Hummingbird. I think in the long run the H'bird has got to be better as it has a solid top whereas the 200 is laminate. I got my 'bird set up and changed the nut and saddle to bone and now it rocks! I love it. I have a soft spot for the 200 though and if I ever find an ej-300 for sale at the right time/price I'll probably snap it up. the 300 has a solid top but there aren't many around.

Try them both, see what grabs you, you might prefer one shape/feel over the other, but ultimately the 200 will sound pretty much the same forever but the 'bird will improve as the solid top matures. Hope this helps?

Matt

I was in your same position, and also considering a masterbilt, and went with the h'bird. the ej-200 is all looks and no tone, i would steer far clear. if you can find a 300 that's in good shape and definitely has a solid top, that may be worth your while. The masterbilt I tried out was a dr-500m and while it had great hi's and lows with a really big range, the hummingbird had the middle tones i was looking for. I've been playing it as my #1 for over a year now, and I was just at GC saturday and played one on the rack, and could tell that mine had started opening up and getting a bit mellower.

ultimately find the guitar that works with you, personally i'd trade mine in for the aj-500r with some martin string on there, but for my budget the hummingbird is an amazing, beautiful guitar to hear and look at

guys i have my 'bird about two months now(sorry for my english ' date=' iam from greece) i like the sound and i wonder if it will be better after 6 months! [/quote']

Keep playing it alot. I believe the 'bird is a solid top so the sound will change with age as the resins in the wood cure and crystallize. It's nothing you can rush, though.

'' stone'' i need your help again!!I want to put picks(electrics) to my 'bird!Any suggestion???

Sorry. I know absolutely nothing about installing after market pick ups in acoustics. I'm sure there are many others here that can help you with that one.

It depends alot of what kind of sound you're looking for. Alot of players recommend K&K Pure Western Minis for the most natural sound. Or you could go the more J160E electric route and put a P90 or P100 at the neck in the soundhole.

I had an AJ-200 VS for years and it served me extremely well. I also liked the look of the Hummingbird but I went for the Masterbilt and I am SO glad I did. There is no comparison between the Bird and the MasterBilt, in my opinion. That's not to say that the Bird isn't a good guitar but just that the Masterbilt is the best acoustic guitar value on the market today (though challenges are being made). My AJ-500M just feels glorious to play and the feeling you get when the solid back is vibrating against you lets you know you're playing a real guitar. Of course, it's a couple of hundred dollars extra and that's not always doable so in that case I think you would be happy with the Bird but if you could wait or swing it then the MasterBilt is the way to go for a guitar you will enjoy for the rest of your life.

Archived